Using Your Own Cup on Cruise

Aside from all the comments regarding rules because you can take cups on board but there are signs saying use a separate cup to fill yours...we took our own cups on board last week and found that we didn't use them very often. It seems that whenever we were actually on deck 11 near the refill stations, we didn't have our cups so we just used the disposable ones. We probably could have just saved the luggage space and left them at home.

I am more concerned with the people who do not wash their hands after using the toilet. And those that refuse to wash their hands/wipe them down before going to the buffet. I have seen both plenty of times unfortunately. I would pay extra if there was someone in each bathroom making people wash their hands. Also I think it should be mandatory to wash your hands before going to the buffet, not just a nice reminder from cast members. One guy came in through the doors from the pool deck and the cast member reminded him to wash his hands and he refused saying he took a shower that morning. Gross

That's disgusting...I guess we should all be happy that he took a shower.

I still can't believe that adults need to be reminded to be clean. I stopped reminding my children before they became teenagers...it's just natural and routine for them to wash their hands before any meals. And who walks out of a washroom, let alone a public one and not wash their hands. I understand children need to be reminded, but I can't imagine adults need someone to stand in the washrooms to remind them.

Aside from all the comments regarding rules because you can take cups on board but there are signs saying use a separate cup to fill yours...we took our own cups on board last week and found that we didn't use them very often. It seems that whenever we were actually on deck 11 near the refill stations, we didn't have our cups so we just used the disposable ones. We probably could have just saved the luggage space and left them at home.

We don't take them either, but that's because we don't want to be walking around with them. If I did bring something, I would use the the paper cups to fill them, but I would only be able to use them once since I don't have anything appropriate to clean them after I use them. And for me, rinsing them with water doesn't make them clean.

But I understand that others do like to bring them and that's their choice, but they should follow the rules meant for EVERYONE.

Like someone else posted...I wonder if these are the same people who get upset if someone is saving seats at the theatre or chairs at the pool. There are rules for a reason...just because that person doesn't understand or disagrees with the rules, it doesn't mean they don't have to follow them. If the rules are too difficult to handle, then they should choose to go elsewhere.

There are a couple more reasons for bringing your own cups that have very little to do with the size of Disney’s paper cups. First my family have to have lids, as we can spill just about anything on our clothing! Heck even with a lid my guys can get drips of iced tea on their shirts. The second reason is that we bring insulated cups to keep the drinks cold for a longer period of time. This is really helpful on the pool deck or in the theater.

As far as cleaning them, we always travel with a very small refillable bottle of Dawn dish detergent anyway because we also use it as a stain pretreatment remover. Did I mention we spill? I’ve found that Dawn does a better job of stain removal than anything else. It only takes a small amount to wash your cups each evening and still have plenty to treat those ketchup stains!

As far as cleaning them, we always travel with a very small refillable bottle of Dawn dish detergent anyway because we also use it as a stain pretreatment remover. Did I mention we spill? I’ve found that Dawn does a better job of stain removal than anything else. It only takes a small amount to wash your cups each evening and still have plenty to treat those ketchup stains!

We do the same. We, also, pack a dishrag. And thanks for the heads up about it being a stain removal. DH stains every trip, LOL.

I really think this is just a band aid for people to feel good about germ control. Germs are everywhere. Door knobs, handrails, the store products, serving utensils, anywhere you touch. I get the ick feeling thinking how many people have touched the cups and lids trying to pry them apart. I feel the same here on land as well. Surely, the people who are upset about a packing a personal cup have taken that into consideration. I've heard the same as a PP that stated the drink dispensers are the germ magnets. I've seen people drink a sip right there and then refill it again. So many variables to take into consideration. That one paper cup is not stopping you from coming in contact with germs. I feel that if you are that worried then just don't drink from the beverage station and your worries will be gone. With all that said, I do abide by the paper cup rule.

We do the same. We, also, pack a dishrag. And thanks for the heads up about it being a stain removal. DH stains every trip, LOL.

I really think this is just a band aid for people to feel good about germ control. Germs are everywhere. Door knobs, handrails, the store products, serving utensils, anywhere you touch. I get the ick feeling thinking how many people have touched the cups and lids trying to pry them apart. I feel the same here on land as well. Surely, the people who are upset about a packing a personal cup have taken that into consideration. I've heard the same as a PP that stated the drink dispensers are the germ magnets. I've seen people drink a sip right there and then refill it again. So many variables to take into consideration. That one paper cup is not stopping you from coming in contact with germs. I feel that if you are that worried then just don't drink from the beverage station and your worries will be gone. With all that said, I do abide by the paper cup rule.

This is so true. Plus I have been thinking about this. If the dispenser is the one where you push the button, then the cup does not come into contact with anything. I can see the push back to dispense machines. I am not saying that to get around the rules because we follow the rules, but that does take away the "germs from touching".

Came here looking for details about lids being removed and came across this thread, it's funny that everyone excuses their own behavior. Officer i was speeding b/c I'm running late for an important something, etc... or Like it's OK to save a seat b/c my son had to go to the bathroom he'll be right back, but i'll be damned if your saving one for some "late comer" and I can't sit down in this row b/c I don't have enough seats for my son now....

i'm sure everyone who says they break this rule have pristine hygiene and wash there cups in there staterooms after each use in your bathroom sinks (where there are probably more germs than the drink stand, just saying) and your germs don't matter b/c they aren't as bad as everyone else's b/c you're a clean person, but what if the person in front of you wasn't as clean, what if they had a really bad cough and and runny nose earlier, and the cup to you looks like it hasn't been washed in a week, and they were there standing in front of you sampling all the flavors and mixing them all while sniffling. Would it still be okay b/c they felt they cleaned their cup enough? you wouldn't think twice?

Look i get it that's extreme, but at the end of the day what is the big deal. Disney is being Extra cautious for YOUR benefit, so that you don't get sick, and by making the rule for all they can politely have it apply to everyone, not just the less clean. So you get inconvenienced just for one second b/c you have to grab a cup from a dispenser (that I get could also have germs on them but germs that can survive on hard surfaces as opposed to those that can survive in wet conditions, the difference is that Disney can control that more than they can confirm that you washed your own cup after each use). As far as the buttons yes, they are probably the dirtiest places just like the elevator buttons, but then again most people don't take their hands and swirl it around there drinks before they drink or take a big lick of their fingers after using the dispenser. and if they do, well they'll probably get sick from a bunch of stuff on the ship.

At the end of the day, like someone else mentioned it's just an extra precaution, an extra minor step to try and avoid having a bunch of people's vacations ruined b/c they get a stomach bug or a cold, or flu, etc. so yeah follow the rule so that the next person feel obliged to do it and worry about bigger things like the fact you're on vacation.

We bring our own cups and refill them using the paper cups provided.

However, while I applaud Disney's steps to keep the ships sanitary and prevent the spread of viruses, I will add that I have never seen a confirmed study that showed that backspash has contaminated a soda machine. Most of the accepted studies have shown that the contamination comes during the cleaning process a small bit of bacteria is introduced which then grows inside the tubing of the machine. A smaller amount shows children or some people touching or brushing against the nozzle (less than 1% of customers) which can also work its way into the tubing. But while theoretically it would be POSSIBLE for a germ to splash back into the nozzle and take hold the chances of that happening are incredibly small and are just as likely (probably way more so) for the germs to get blown on other nearby surfaces which then get in contact with ingested food or drink.

In other words, the paper cup rule is really more lip service then any real safety mechanism. That is not to say you should circumvent it. Just saying it's not really helping.

We used our resort mugs last cruise. I don't remember seeing a sign to use the paper cups. Lesson learned for next time.

Do they have straws? I was wondering this today and thought I should bring my reusable one just in case.

Thanks for that. Do you mind if I copy the picture to my files?

It isn’t my pic originally, but here is the better copy I retrieved from the social media group posted by a Chris Johnson. Can’t see why you couldn’t save it to your files.

Attachments

• 839DC1B4-1A72-4467-8446-438810386BB8.jpeg
    839DC1B4-1A72-4467-8446-438810386BB8.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter