Utterly terrified of SW:GE crowds during opening months

Status
Not open for further replies.

marielynn724

DIS Veteran
I'm REALLY scared of the SWGE crowds! I've been planning a trip in Dec 2019 (probably very early in the month) with my boyfriend. This will be his first time at Disney and he's not exactly a Disney person - it's taken some time to convince him and I'm so scared he'll be traumatized and never want to go back! I'm afraid it'll be wall to wall bodies all over WDW for the first few months :( What do you guys think?

Even if we skip DHS (honestly, I'd like to avoid having to do that because I'm a Star Wars fan too!) I'm scared the other parks, buses and the resorts will be just so completely full of people.

It will be packed for sure but just have realistic expectations, a good plan and the ability and predisposition to change the plans of need be.
The great thing is that DL is opening first and we'll see how disney controls the crowds, so we'll have a better understanding on what's coming

Think of it this way......IF SWGE does open during your trip, the rest of the parks should be less busy, right?

Think of it this way......IF SWGE does open during your trip, the rest of the parks should be less busy, right?

I'd say the opposite... While the major draw may be GE and locals may only go for that.. the rest of people going there will be going for multi-day vacations, and the days they aren't at HS they will be in the other parks. Think crowds will be up everywhere.

I'd say the opposite... While the major draw may be GE and locals may only go for that.. the rest of people going there will be going for multi-day vacations, and the days they aren't at HS they will be in the other parks. Think crowds will be up everywhere.
This is probably true.

Me too. We have a week booked in mid November. I haven’t told the kids because I am going to cancel if it’s open.

It could be better to wait six months or so. The crowds will die down by then. That is what we will do I think

If you were going to DL, I would be worried too. I’m seriously worried about how it’s going to impact my favourite park and I’m still looking forward to it!

With the World, it’s different. You have 3 other parks and then the two water parks. You will be able to avoid it if wanted. Have one crazy morning there to see it if you are interested and then just stay away from it. Hopefully you will see less crowds in the other parks too because everyone will be over there.

I rescheduled our September trip to December for this very reason. I figured SWGE combined with Christmas crowds would make my trip almost unbearable.

I'm glad our fall trip is in October, long before SWGE opens. Being there during soft opening (like we were for Pandora worked well) does work if your timing is lucky. We'll give it 6 months before we go back, hoping the initial mob may have decreased some by then.

This is part of why we were motivated to pull the trigger on a 2019 August trip instead of 2020. Between SW:GE, 90th anniversary celebrations, and other new rides opening I expect higher than normal crowds for a couple of years. We will probably avoid WDW for long trips until 2021 and just hop in for festival weekends here and there.

Meh, look if crowds are going to terrify you Disney might not be right for you...ever. It is going to be a ton of people, but it's just people. There's always such a commotion about crowds. I have only been Easter week, I love the weather. I rope drop, I plan, I use fastpasses and I'm willing to say; Didn't get to hit that ride this time, we'll get it next time or not--either way it'll be fine. I enjoy the challenge..can I figure out the system? Can I beat the masses? It can be terrifying or it can be part of the fun. It's all a matter of perspective.
I should also add, on each trip I am willing to put some money towards experiences that will help me cope with the huge crowds. I have booked dessert parties and will book an after hours event on my next trip.

Meh, look if crowds are going to terrify you Disney might not be right for you...ever. It is going to be a ton of people, but it's just people. There's always such a commotion about crowds. I have only been Easter week, I love the weather. I rope drop, I plan, I use fastpasses and I'm willing to say; Didn't get to hit that ride this time, we'll get it next time or not--either way it'll be fine. I enjoy the challenge..can I figure out the system? Can I beat the masses? It can be terrifying or it can be part of the fun. It's all a matter of perspective.
I should also add, on each trip I am willing to put some money towards experiences that will help me cope with the huge crowds. I have booked dessert parties and will book an after hours event on my next trip.

I've been to WDW 10 times, that's not the issue. I'm asking about the timing of bringing someone else.

Can you move it earlier in the year? You can always hedge your bets and wait to see when they announce an opening date and try to move your reservation to before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!