V.B. shuttle launch

Richnj

Mouseketeer
Has any one seen a shuttle launch from V.B. and is it worth watching from there?

My brother in law and family live in VB, and frequently talk about watching the shuttle launches from there. We watched one from Orlando and another about 3 miles away from the space center. It really is something to watch!!

We watched a night launch from the beach ramp at VB and it was spectacular. The entire coastline lit up and we were able to follow the shuttle for a long time (it was a clear night). We even saw the SRBs fall away.

Originally posted by Jeff Schramm
We watched a night launch from the beach ramp at VB and it was spectacular. The entire coastline lit up and we were able to follow the shuttle for a long time (it was a clear night). We even saw the SRBs fall away.

We did the same thing July 99. First we did the Turtle walk and saw a female turtle drop her eggs about 11.pm Then watched the shuttle take off around midnight. Great view.
George

We saw a Delta rocket launch during the day last week at Vero Beach. We could see it for quite a while.

We drove over to see a daytime launch a few years ago. It still gives me goosebumps when I think about it. There is a bridge north of Cocoa but south of the Cape. Since there is a causeway, we pulled into there. Soon the area filled up with locals and other out of towners.
A couple of years ago we extended our vacation so we could watch the nighttime launch that was piloted by a women. Since the launch was scheduled at midnight, we drove over around 6 just to get a spot. BUT it was cancelled.:confused: The flight was schedule to go in two night so we did an E night at MK the next night. Then the following night it was back to the coast for the launch. We didn't arrive until 9 pm and once again the launch was cancelled. The drive back to Disney was a killer because the launch was cancelled later than midnight. (arriving back around 4am) That made 3 nights in row that we were up super late. Well, we never did see the launch since we had to return home. I'm still trying to catch another launch.
We arrive on the 13th, don't you know it that the launch is scheduled for early the 12th. I keep hoping for bad weather and a delayed launch. (Selfish of me :p )
I always encourage everyone to drive over to see it. I have seen 3 from the Orlando area but it doesn't compare.

Weather permitting, the shuttle is supposed to launch at 5:04am Thursday morning. Will be watching from Tampa - would love to be watching at Vero or closer.

Thanks for the schedule. Unfortunately, we leave for home the day before the next scheduled shuttle launch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter