Vac in Aug, I Have some Questions...

JennyP

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I am gratefull to have found this forum. I have a few questions regarding my trip and hope someone can help.

I will be going to Orlando August 2 through August 8. I will be staying at the Best Western Plaza on International Dr. If anyone has any experiences at this hotel I would love to hear about it. Also, I have found a few web sites regarding it but they all boast different amenities, so the truth about that would be helpful.

Also, We have booked a suite (including sink, microwave and fridge) so that we can purchase some groceries to save on food bills (i.e. restaurants). I have heard from other vacationers that finding a local grocery store was very hard...how true is this? I mean really, people in Orlando must buy groceries to, right? (haha) so, the location of a local grocery store would also be helpful.

I am curious about the weather. How hot will it be in August. Or will it rain alot as I have heard alot about the Hurricane season.

One last question....
Are the theme parks extremly busy in August. I would assume because it is summer for students that yes they are, but what is the average of time spent in line ups.

I am very excited about going and have recently purchased a book about budgeting while visiting Disney...I am eagerly waiting it's arrival...Any other experiences about what to do when your not enjoying the theme parks would be great to hear about also.....

Until Later......................

Welcome to the DIS! We hope you can find lots of great information here to help you plan your WDW Vacation!

Jenny - yes August is crowded and hot, but if you plan ahead and use Fast Passes and arrive early at the parks you should be able to work around it. Take misty mates with you...spray water bottles with fans attached. They will help keep you cool.

I am redirecting this post to our Orlando Hotels board to help get you an answer to the first portion of your post. Good luck!

your hotel but most of the hotels on International Drive that I have heard about have gotten excellent reviews but I cannot at all comment on yours specifically; hopefully someone else can.

As far as August goes, be forewarned that it will be significantly hot and humid everyday with average temperatures of 90 plus.

So, if you really think you and other family members can reasonably function in the heat everyday along with being able to find ceative ways in adapting to it (through taking regular swims, using misty water fans, attending as many air conditioned attractions as posiible, going to water parks.....etc. along with any other cooling off methods that you can find) it will be somewhat easier for you to stand.

Also, be sure and bring the sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, face cloths, and the ponchos because you are likely to run into some afternoon rain showers while touring.

August is a very busy time to visit WDW and you will have to stand in lines waiting for a while especially for the more popular attractions and or rides in each park. I found that the beginning of August is more crowded than towards the end.

You will still run into your fair share of crowds at the end of August but I have found it just a little bit less dense during this time because a lot of school are reopening at this time.

There are grocery stores all around that tourists usually visit although I don't know which one would be more convenient to where you are staying because they have several locations; hopefully someone can help you with this also (along with giving you feedback regarding your hotel).

On average, I believe that the Publix grocery stores and Super-Walmart down there in the area will give you better deals on prices.

Other things to do when you are not enjoying the theme parks can include visiting Downtown Disney, Titanic Museum, Gatorland, Ripley's, Guiness Book Museum, Wonderworks, miniature golf, and the dinner shows are great like Arabian Nights (and others), Wet N' Wild or Water Mania; hopefully others will have some non theme park suggestions for you also.

You can drop by the Belz Factory Outlets and Orlando Premium Outlets too among other surrounding shopping.

Thanks for the info deena, some of that I wouldn't have thought to bring with me...Our Summers don't get that hot and I'll prob. need some time to adjust to the weather, water parks sound like just the cure:)

Hi Jenny,

DH, DS (8 3/4), DD (6) and myself stayed at the Best Western Intl Drive 3 nights last summer. We also had a suite. We found the hotel to be fine, not great, but not bad either.

The suite had two bedrooms, one with a king size bed and the other a queen. It had two TV's and a kitchen with microwave, refridgerater and sink. There is also a sink outside the bathroom. The rooms for large and lots of draw space. When you walk in you are in the small kitchen, then the smaller bedroom, then the bigger bedroom, then the bathroom. I would have preferred not to have the children closer to the door, but that is the way it was arranged.

The pool seemed o.k. It was crowded and noisy when we went 8/28-8/31 so we did not bother.

The hotel is in a perfect location. The Mercado is a few blocks away and there are so many restaurants nearby. Universal & IOA about 10 minutes in one direction and SeaWorld and Discovery Cove 10 minutes in the other.

We were not crazy about it and probably would not stay there again, but it is a geat buy for the price. Also, it was clean and convenient. The front desk was always available and there is a small arcade and gift shop (also milk, soda and a few other groceries).

I'm sure it will be fine for you. After all, cost, convenience and cleanliness are most important.

Elke

Hi Jenny! I'll be in Orlando the same time you are....August 1 through 8. And coincidentally, I'm staying on International Drive too. I'll be at the Amerisuites Convention Center Hotel, though.

This will be my first visit to the area, as well, so I am reading the responses to your questions with great interest. I almost always travel alone, and try to plan things out, but most of the time I end up playing things by ear.

The heat and crowds will probably be the most challenging thing, but I'm sure we'll do just fine. Keep me posted on any new ideas I may miss! And maybe we'll see each other in Orlando. :D

My dh and I stayed at the BW International a few years ago. We stayed in a regular room. They were doing some renovations to the outside while we were there. Although it is not a deluxe hotel it was clean(although basic) and very convenient. The first room we were assigned to had a musty smell so I called the front desk and they moved us. We had no problems after the initial move. Check in and out was quick and the staff was pleasant at the desk. Lots of restaraunts close by to choose from. We really enjoyed the Mercado. They have music in an outside courtyard at night. We found it very relaxing after a busy day at the park. We used the buses they had to get back and forth to the parks. They were time consuming and you had to be on a time schedule. Would recommend a rental during your stay.
Enjoy your trip! I'm also going to WDW in Aug.(1st Aug trip) We will be at the BC for a family reunion.

Walmart Supercenter has groceries. Sand lake rd make a right about 5 miles on right. Also nice dennys diner there. Also Kmart no food but make left sand lake rd ist right past rt 4 turkey lake rd on right.

Target a little past walmart at florida mall!

We always travel in the summer because of school vacations. Before the kids were in school we always visited the 2 weeks following Labor Day. This year we will be at WDW from July 20-Aug. 4. One year we went during spring break and another we went over July 4 (never again for either of those).

Summer, while hot, is extremely managable, especially if you get up early and tour until lunch time or just after if you want to eat in the park. Then return to your hotel for rest or swim. Return to the parks around 5 or 6 and you will see lots of bedraggled people leaving. While you won't have the parks to yourself during these times, your waits will be a lot less. We never wait more than 1/2 hour for anything. My dh and dd waited 2 hours for Test Track once, but other than that we don't wait. Usually your crowd patterns are cyclicle. It's a challenge to figure out where the crowds are and move the other way, but it is well worth it. Head for the popular attractions early or late. I agree with the others, make sure you pack heat fighting things like your water mister fans, towel or washcloth for your face or neck, and a water bottle. It is important to drink lots of fluids.

We don't mind summer travel ourselves. Even though there are more people in the parks, Disney mostly compensates this by giving you longer park hours and more entertainment other than the rides. Remember to stop and enjoy the little things, be spontaneous enough to not feel pushed to ride everything. If you have a guide book that lists the attractions, you can get a jump start on deciding your must dos, wanna dos and don't bothers. Once you have that figured out, plan your touring around it. Skip anything that has too long a wait. You can always try to return later, unless it's going to ruin your vacation not to do it.

I wouldn't try to do a whole lot outside of the parks, other than relax, because of the short time you are there. We generally stay 2 weeks when we are there and seldom do we feel like we have done it all. Every year there is something we want to try when we go back. That's what makes Disney so special. There is always something to look forward to.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask other questions you may have.

Jenny, if you're not sure about the best western ...I see the lovely Hawthorn suites is having an internet special at their international drive location. These suites are really nice, bkfst included. check out their website for "specials".

Wonderfull feedback, Thanks guys!!

239 hours left !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter