Vacation Planners: Need advise, Please!

hbeck2329

Earning My Ears
Good afternoon, mousketeers!

I have a question in regards to becoming a Disney Vacation Planner. If I am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Anyway, I have been "offered a position" with an authorized, platinum Disney vacation planner agency. However, in order to gain access to the training and all things to be able to start, there is a one time, $299 fee. Can I have some direction here in regards to the "normality" of this in terms of other agencies?

This is an industry standard, where you act as more of a contractor than an employee. The same type of structure applied when I was working with Expedia some years ago.

I understand being an independent contractor, I've been a real estate agent. My husband has just questioned the upfront cost, "why are they having you pay to be trained?" From what I've found online, maybe it just depends on the agency you go with as far as a fee, seems some charge, and others do not. Just looking for feedback from other Disney Vacation Planners :)
Thanks for your input!

Are you talking about DVC because there are several forums here on the DIS where you could probably get some good knowledgeable answers. :thumbsup2

personally, I would never pay to be trained - I would allow them to train and and then do a payroll deduction in increments for my training, but upfront. No way. Not happening. I did a quick google and top two clicks said this is red flag. It was a disney travel planner specific search too.

Good afternoon, mousketeers!

I have a question in regards to becoming a Disney Vacation Planner. If I am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Anyway, I have been "offered a position" with an authorized, platinum Disney vacation planner agency. However, in order to gain access to the training and all things to be able to start, there is a one time, $299 fee. Can I have some direction here in regards to the "normality" of this in terms of other agencies?
I understand being an independent contractor, I've been a real estate agent. My husband has just questioned the upfront cost, "why are they having you pay to be trained?" From what I've found online, maybe it just depends on the agency you go with as far as a fee, seems some charge, and others do not. Just looking for feedback from other Disney Vacation Planners :)
Thanks for your input!
Whether this is "normal" or not to be a Disney vacation planner, I don't know. However, it does not surprise me that, as an independent contractor that YOU are responsible for paying for training. There are rules/laws that differentiate between responsibilities of an independent contractor and an employee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!