Valentine's Day?

My DH usually picks up dinner somewhere and brings it home. I used to make the girls heart pancakes for breakfast when they were little and have a card and surprise for them. I miss those days! My DH used to get flowers but then I found out how much he was paying and I abouthad a heart attack! I’m a cheapskate. I could buy a load of groceries for a dozen red roses. Aren’t I fun, lol?!

Our anniversary is the 15th, so we usually don't do anything ON Valentine's Day...past anniversaries have included
Him working late while I was pregnant with twins and my MIL stayed with us - do not recommend, but it was fine
Home alone while he is deployed in Iraq, hoping that he will get to make a 2 minute phone call to me-also do not recommend
Disneyworld with no kids (3 nights)
Weekend at local winery/resort
Dinner out and then binge watch Downton Abbey at home (while kids were at a Parents Night Out event)
Weekend/night at a local resort that has a fancy dinner and then dancing (we are in our 30s and felt a little "young" at this event, but it was fun...more our speed than going clubbing or something!)
Cruise (pre-kids)
Local dinner theater place-not great food, but fun
Just dinner
Some museums around had things that sounded fun but we never did...martinis and IMAX kind of things

Oh, I always get the kids a little something. Candy and some gift...lots of years it is buying them a movie. This year, I bought them each Harry Potter lanyards for our Universal trip as well as $3 whirly bird things (they were on clearance from Christmas...it only lasts a day or so until they fly them into a tree, but it occupies them a few hours)

So @amberpi what did you decide to do ?

We're going out this weekend to a semi-fancy dinner but it's a place we go pretty often so I'm not sure that it's special but it's special to us:) Nothing big here, how about you? We got the kids small presents and are going to take them to Build a Bear which we've never done. My husband is literally playing that Outkast "Valentine's Day" song in bed next to me right now.

We don't do anything special......we do a lot of traveling and just consider that part of almost all holiday celebrations.
But I still give my kids and grand kids presents. VD is a special day to me. I was my mother's birthday, so we always had things to do that day

I buy each of my teen boys something small. This year it is a small box of Lindt hearts.

DH gets a sappy card and something small. This year it’s a Joe Boxer PJ set

I make a nice dinner for the family and then we all go to the Auto Show. Not very romantic but that’s us.

We have a very good local pizza place here that does heart shaped pizzas on V day. The last 2 years we got one and had a bottle of champagne with it, will probably do the same this year. I'll pick it up on my way home and we'll eat it at home in comfy clothes.

I've always bought my kids a little something, my parents who were not big gift givers always did too. My dad would swing by the small town drug store, buy small heart shaped boxes of chocolates for us kids and a bigger box for mom. I think last year I took DD to Target the day after and let her pick something at 50% off :teeth:
Same here, and I’m surprising DH with one for lunch at his office. He’ll really like it since he usually either eats on the fly or doesn’t eat at all.

We double-dated with good friends at a nice place Tuesday night because we’ve got other commitments this evening. I’ve given candy and a card to DS and helped him organize a little something for a young lady he’s got eyes for. I’ve also given and received several cards and small treats to/from friends I’ve seen over the past few days.

I like celebrating and just find the entire thing sweet! :lovestruc

I'm with you on this. To me valentines day is for couples. So why would I get my kids something?
To me valentines is just made up nonsense so “celebrate” it however you want. I got DS just a little something fun. I remember liking Valentine’s Day in school. As adult (even in a relationship), it seems silly to me. DH & I don’t get into all that. Will do a card & candy at the most.

So we are totally redoing our bedroom as our Valentine gift for each other, which is part of a bigger total home reorganization project. We moved a bunch of crafting stuff out of our room, cleaned out our closets, got rid of our dresser (moved clothes to our closets), replaced the computer desk (which will eventually move to an office once the kids move out). New bed frame and headboard (will get here later this week), new bed linens, new end tables, new lamps. Then we are going to paint the walls, replace the closet doors, find some art. Look for a bench/storage for the foot of the bed. Total room refresh.

So while it's a bunch of work, we've invigorated our private space to make it less cluttered, fresher, and more romantic.

Cooking steak for dinner this evening at home, as well.

Last edited:
We alway like to do something. We will not be together in person today but we had our V day lunch out this past weekend on Orlando.

We're going out this weekend to a semi-fancy dinner but it's a place we go pretty often so I'm not sure that it's special but it's special to us:)

We have a go-to restaurant for Valentine's Day and anniversaries. Doesn't matter we've been there 2 dozen times. Never gets old. Although, like I said, we are cooking at home this year.

Tonight I'm making Scallops Florentine for dinner. I didn't want to go out tonight. However, tomorrow we are going to Ruth Chris Steakhouse for dinner. Looking forward to that!!!

No gifts. We were going to get a new soundbar for our new TV but decided to just keep the one we have. It is a little taller tan the bottom of the TV so we were going to get a slimmer one. Maybe for Christmas next year we will get that and a 4K DVD Player.

First single Valentine's in 5+ years so I'm sitting here in my underwear eating avocado toast and coffee. Maybe I'll get really crazy - put pants on and go grocery shopping!

I actually like valentines day, or at least I don't mind it. It's no more "Hallmark holiday" than any other one, and you don't see nearly as many people grumbling about getting gifts for their mom on mother's day!

We got the kids small presents and are going to take them to Build a Bear which we've never done.

I'm too traumatized by build a bear. I foolishly decided to participate in their "Pay your age" day over the summer with my 5 kids (9 and under at the time). I was in line for 9 hours. I kept trying to convince the kids it wasn't worth it but they wanted to wait and were being really well behaved so we waited it out. My brother brought us dinner and the ladies behind us let us leave the line for potty breaks. It was crazy!

We don't really do much (we've been married almost 11 years, together for 15). I made each of my "Valentines" a heart shaped petit fours with their initial on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter