Value resort not so much of a value...

bobgobblin15

I've got the disney fever!!
Was just checking prices to see where we would want to stay next summer. And my goodness. AOA-little mermaid is as much as FQ standard!! There is only a 158.62 price difference. That is insane. We went back to little mermaid this last spring break and was highly disappointed. I thought the food options this time around were disappointing as well. Everything was dry and flavorless. I don't know why Disney even has "value" resort they really aren't much of a value. Sorry just wanted to vent a little.

The gondolas. Just what I expected to happen is happening, they are jacking up the prices of all the resorts that are on the gondola line. It's disappointing for us, as a family of 5 CBR and POR are our only options before jumping to deluxe prices which are more than I'm willing to spend. Now CBR, one of my 2 mod options, is seeing a huge jump. :(

Oh I forgot about the gondolas! Do you know which hotels have/getting the gondolas? I did happen to look at the Movies resort and could actually add two more hotel days and 5 park days instead of 4 for basically the same price of FQ and Little Mermaid. Which I am considering.

Oh I forgot about the gondolas! Do you know which hotels have/getting the gondolas? I did happen to look at the Movies resort and could actually add two more hotel days and 5 park days instead of 4 for basically the same price of FQ and Little Mermaid. Which I am considering.
Pop, AoA, CBR and Riviera are on the gondola line. So yes, from here on out you will likely find the All Stars to be a much better value since they are now the only values that aren't on the gondola line. (Unless, of course, you want to pay more to be on the gondola line.)

And Disney is taking a risk here, that the gondola line is going to be an attraction. I'm not so sure, as there are a LOT of variables we don't know about yet, such as how it feels inside the gondolas during hot/humid weather, how often are they going to have to stop so the scooters/strollers can disembark, how often the entire line is going to have to stop because of mechanical failure or emergency, how often the entire line is going to be grounded because of bad weather (which Florida sees a LOT of during the summer, not to mention hurricane season coming into play.)

If I was staying in Pop and paying $200+ a night, and couldn't even use the Skyliner, I'd be ticked. I hope at least that Pop no longer says the transportation is free, because it very obviously isn't!

In checking the date my family will be arriving at WDW in 2020 (late August), these are some rates:

All Star Movies: standard room: $125.00
POP Century: standard room: $163.00
Port Orleans Riverside: standard room: $249.00

If I'm planning a family trip on a budget and I'm staying a week, I think the $86 daily difference between POR and POP could still add up to something worth considering. A 7 night stay would mean a $600 difference. I see that as enough to differentiate between POP & POR, personally.

And if you need a better value than that, then the All-Stars are another $38 a night cheaper for this particular week, which shows that the pricing for POP & All-Stars are closer than the pricing for POP & POR.

So I still see POP as a value, just that they allow us to have choices within the "value" category...just as we have since POP & AoA were first built, since they have always cost more than the All-Stars. There are different price choices offered within the other categories, too. Not all deluxe resorts cost the same amount, for instance. I think it's nice that WDW gives people looking for a lower priced resort that kind of choice, too. :) I disliked it when the values were only the All-Stars, because theming aside, they were all the same exact resort. I felt like if you wanted a value resort, back then you basically had just one choice with different decor, so to speak.

In checking the date my family will be arriving at WDW in 2020 (late August), these are some rates:

All Star Movies: standard room: $125.00
POP Century: standard room: $163.00
Port Orleans Riverside: standard room: $249.00

If I'm planning a family trip on a budget and I'm staying a week, I think the $86 daily difference between POR and POP could still add up to something worth considering. A 7 night stay would mean a $600 difference. I see that as enough to differentiate between POP & POR, personally.

And if you need a better value than that, then the All-Stars are another $38 a night cheaper for this particular week, which shows that the pricing for POP & All-Stars are closer than the pricing for POP & POR.

So I still see POP as a value, just that they allow us to have choices within the "value" category...just as we have since POP & AoA were first built, since they have always cost more than the All-Stars. There are different price choices offered within the other categories, too. Not all deluxe resorts cost the same amount, for instance. I think it's nice that WDW gives people looking for a lower priced resort that kind of choice, too. :) I disliked it when the values were only the All-Stars, because theming aside, they were all the same exact resort. I felt like if you wanted a value resort, back then you basically had just one choice with different decor, so to speak.

Yeah, pricing it out, I still see a substantial difference between a Pop standard and a moderate standard. If that’s the case, I’m happy to stick with Pop.

I'm not so sure, as there are a LOT of variables we don't know about yet, such as how it feels inside the gondolas during hot/humid weather,
They're ventilated with reflective coating on the glass. I'm guessing at the very least tolerable, if not downright comfortable.
how often are they going to have to stop so the scooters/strollers can disembark,
Never. There is a pull-off loop, no stopping necessary.
how often the entire line is going to have to stop because of mechanical failure or emergency,
Don't know. How frequently do existing gondola systems have to stop because of mechanical failure or emergency?

I was hoping to book Pop but one concern I have in addition to the price hike seen today is I worry that Pop might be left out of any discounts that come out next year (bc of the gondola perk), so I went with (a first stay at) All Star Movies.

On the UK WDW site, prices per night for a 5 night stay 6-11 July 2020 are currently:

All Star Sports and Movies : £134
All Star Movies : £167
AOA : £183
POP : £193
CBR : £223
Coronado Springs : £205 (on ATD site, which is what I booked) - currently only Tower Water view room at £238 are available on WDW site

The values (except AOA) come with free breakfast - will explain why AOA is maybe cheaper than POP. Moderates come with free QSDDP.

Those prices show there seems to be more demand for POP, which I put down to the gondolas. I was originally looking to stay at POP for that reason, but not at those prices. That's why I paid a tiny bit extra to stay at Coronado Springs, and got the free QSDDP.

Also clear to me that Disney are putting a premium price on value resorts that have refurbished rooms. All Star Movies will definitely have been completed by 2020. I believe All Star Music is then next, so if I was looking to book the cheapest I could, I would go All Star Music, and hope I would get a refurbished room.

I know Busch gardens has shut down their gondolas before because of something mechanical. And the one at Busch Gardens isn't as wide spread as Disney is going for. I remember when we were riding the bus to MK we passed under a stretch of them. It is only a matter of time. Me, personally, I won't be using them just because of the distance they are going, over highways etc. But that's my fear not others. I'll stick to the buses.

I know Busch gardens has shut down their gondolas before because of something mechanical. And the one at Busch Gardens isn't as wide spread as Disney is going for. I remember when we were riding the bus to MK we passed under a stretch of them. It is only a matter of time. Me, personally, I won't be using them just because of the distance they are going, over highways etc. But that's my fear not others. I'll stick to the buses.

They are not the same kind of system and not really comparable. There are very robust gondola systems all over the world that traverse much, much more severe and lengthier terrain than Orlando Florida on a daily basis. For anyone curious please visit the Rumors & News forum, there is an entire thread dedicated to the gondola system with more specifics.

https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/detachable-gondola-lift/

Anyway... the rack rates for Values and Mods is becoming insane. I paid $170 a night for CBR this February, and that's about what I feel that resort is worth. Now people are saying they are seeing some rack rates for 2020 around $330/night. For CBR. No to the way, thanks.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but you can easily find entire 4 bedroom houses with a private pool that are very close to Disney on rental sites for 150-175 a night. Of course, you have to factor in parking fees and car rentals, but it's something I'm starting to consider.

Last edited:

The more I see about the Gondola system the more I wonder if the busses would just be faster to EP & DHS anyways.
I think I’ll have to see the route first hand to fully understand the system.

I wonder the same thing about the busses being faster. It’s just one of those things some people will love to use and others not. And that’s ok. I think they will be cool to watch. Does anyone know when they will start letting people use them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter