**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

Reviewing your timeline...
  • 7am Wonder docks
  • 7:30am first walk off passengers come off. Are you in this crowd? Or are you going to enjoy that last breakfast that has you walking off 2hrs later?
  • 45 minutes later you will be checking in the Fairmont Airport for that day room.

• 2pm YVR check in
  • 4:30pm wheels up....
If you have a dayroom... do you plan to be sleeping in it? Or are you going to be sightseeing... I'm confused.

Being you are by the airport... ideas can be....
  • Dim Sum in Richmond?
  • Ride the subways to check out public transit?
  • check out Storybrooke (Steveston)?
If you want to delay your cruise terminal departure.... Fly Over Canada? Otherwise, I recommend going pre-cruise when you land on the first day as it's open til 9pm.

I pretty sure we will be eating breakfast on the ship. We have early sitting, so we will be in the first round of breakfast. We are not planning on sleeping in the day room. We have the day room because my dad is on peritoneal dialysis and will need to do at least one exchange before our flight home. I was thinking we could also use the room to store our luggage and see a bit more of Vancouver if there was anything in the area. If not, I am sure we can just hang out.

Three days before the cruise leaves we are going to Granville Island, Stanley Park, Capilano and Grouse. My question is what can we do the day we get back to Vancouver? We have a day room at the airport Fairmont and a 4:30 flight. So my guess is we have late morning and early afternoon to do something. Any suggestions?

If you are willing to do something "off the beaten track" go to the gardens at the International Buddhist Temple in Richmond. They are amazing! They're well worth the visit, and they aren't far from the airport, so you'd probably have time to do the gardens and have Dim Sum in Richmond (also well worth doing.)

Lots of reviews on travel sites. Click on Guest Reviews on this link...
http://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Fairmont-Pacific-Rim.h2847755.Hotel-Information

Things that come to mind...
This is a premium hotel that offers premium service. For smaller budgets, the nearby Marriot chain and Robson street hotels are popular alternatives at that location.

Good Morning Folks, I have a friend who is going on the Alaska cruise and I was telling her of the great deal we go at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver back in 2011.

Have any of you got this deal for your cruise? Back then, the criteria for narrowing down the hotel was different than it is now. I was wondering if anyone wanted to share the current criteria for the Pan Pacific. Is the hotel in the Coal Harbor area? Any other criteria, recommended percentage?

Thanks guys

Depends on your definition of Coal Harbour and how far it stretches. In my opinion... the Bayshore is the only hotel in Coal Harbour. Travel sites may have a different defintion.

Depends on your definition of Coal Harbour and how far it stretches. In my opinion... the Bayshore is the only hotel in Coal Harbour. Travel sites may have a different defintion.

I agree, I think the Bayshore is truly the only hotel in Coal Harbour, but I think these travel websites are taking some 'liberties' as it were and trying to define neighbourhoods in other ways.

Doing a quick search on Expedia.... 87 hotels were available on a July date. Clicking View Map, I can see it's basically the majority of the West End hotels as far south as Davie. East Hotels go until Carrall street. Yes the Pan Pacific is included.

Grouse Mountain or Whistler?

Will have 2 pre-cruise days in Vancouver. Had planned on Grouse for seeing the mountain, views, and zip lining but now I am wondering whether it'd be worth the extra drive time to go to Whistler instead of Grouse?

Any insight appreciated!

Will have 2 pre-cruise days in Vancouver. Had planned on Grouse for seeing the mountain, views, and zip lining but now I am wondering whether it'd be worth the extra drive time to go to Whistler instead of Grouse?

Any insight appreciated!

I can't speak for Grouse, but we drove to Whistler for a night before the cruise. Fun walking around town and the drive on the Sea to Sky highway is very nice. We didn't do it, but you can take gondola rides to the top of the mountain. I'd recommend doing that your first night in the area, then drive to Vancouver for the night before your cruise. If I remember its about 2 hours back to Vancouver, but local Vancouver traffic can be pretty slow so I'd be a little nervous if I had a cruise to catch right away.

Both sites are unique in their own way... Grouse is more convenient, but Whistler is worth a visit in it's own way.

Can you clarify what time you are arriving on Friday in Vancouver? We can help suggest an itinery to fit both in as sunset is around 9pm.

Both sites are unique in their own way... Grouse is more convenient, but Whistler is worth a visit in it's own way.

Can you clarify what time you are arriving on Friday in Vancouver? We can help suggest an itinery to fit both in as sunset is around 9pm.

Arriving 10PM Friday. Staying downtown. Would probably go to either on Sunday, just for the day.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OK Friday is a write-off.... possible itinery...
  • Saturday, go to Whistler. This is an out of town day trip, it's safer to do this on Saturday if the highway has problems you won't be concerned about the cruise the next day.
    http://vancouvertours.com/tour/whistler-tour/
  • Sunday, go to Grouse Mountain and Capilano bridge on the return. If you start your day early, you can fit it in more sightseeing before the sun goes down at 9pm

When do tickets for Grouse Mountain usually go on sale? The website states late May or early June, but I am curious if historically the mountain opens for summer activities around a certain date. I would like to purchase our tickets ahead of time.

I'm trying to estimate how much Canadian money we need to have on hand. We'll be in Vancouver the day before and the day after our cruise. I'm assuming credit cards will be fine for most restaurants and the hotel, but what about for taxis or public transportation? We hope to spend the day at Granville Island post cruise, and probably walking around downtown and Gastown the day before the cruise.

I would budget $15 a person per day for cash. Most restaurants and taxi's take credit cards. The subway machines take credit cards. Busses and I don't think the Granville Island ferries will take credit cards. Small restaurants would want cash too. If you run out of cash, I would run out to an ATM to reload. Lots of coins at the end of the trip? I would spend it at a pop machine at the airport or hotel. What do others think about $15/day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!