Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I might get them someday

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I would never own vanity plates

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Other (Apparently a DISboards rule)

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
No, no one ever uses their nickname on a vanity plate, impossible.

Never said they wouldn’t. Just as the pp mentioned using her first name.

But perhaps we don’t go looking for bad guys around every corner.

You do actually realize that the bad guys lurking in the parking lot have no clue if the person getting in the car is the actual owner. And the person would have to be in the act of getting in the car to even know which car they belong to. I mean do you really think bad guys are lurking in parking lot thinking “oh this tag is a girl’s, let’s wait until she comes out!”

They would be in for a big surprise when ds comes out to get in dil’s car!

Last edited:
In my city there are a ton of different themed licence plates available. There are some for the Winnipeg Jets, some for firefighters, some for the Humaine society, some for veterans, some for our football team, and some for our baseball team.

I have Jets plates (obviously) but don’t have a car to put them on. It’s a status thing with them because the first run started with WJ then JO then J1 so if you have J1 plates you’re a latecomer.

I have WJ plates (first run) and they are so popular that it’s advised to put them on your car with special screws..they can’t be loosened with a screwdriver, they need a special tool.

I used to have DURAN 2 (see my profile photo ;)). I moved out of state, then moved back but no longer have a car.

I'm jealous that someone else in town has DRN DRN. And DH likes the car that we often see around with PEZ FAN.

Never said they wouldn’t. Just as the pp mentioned using her first name.

But perhaps we don’t go looking for bad guys around every corner.

You do actually realize that the bad guys lurking in the parking lot have no clue if the person getting in the car is the actual owner. And the person would have to be in the act of getting in the car to even know which car they belong to. I mean do you really think bad guys are lurking in parking lot thinking “oh this tag is a girl’s, let’s wait until she comes out!”

They would be in for a big surprise when ds comes out to get in dil’s car!

And I never said anything remotely like "Don't use vanity plates, the bad guys will come for you for sure" "You'd be an idiot to use vanity plates" "Vanity plates are a gateway drug"

I simply suggested taking a beat to consider a possibility. Suddenly I'm paranoid and hanging around parking lots chatting up strangers.

Guess I forgot I'm a simple rube amidst a very clever bunch.

And I never said anything remotely like "Don't use vanity plates, the bad guys will come for you for sure" "You'd be an idiot to use vanity plates" "Vanity plates are a gateway drug"

I simply suggested taking a beat to consider a possibility. Suddenly I'm paranoid and hanging around parking lots chatting up strangers.

Guess I forgot I'm a simple rube amidst a very clever bunch.

Lol not what I said but ok.

But saying that someone is going to kidnap or rob you or worse because they see your vanity plate does sound a bit paranoid.

I used to have plates that referenced my favorite KISS song. Now I have hockey related plates - they are also the California Museum plates so they have a dancing Snoopy on them as well.

My parents had vanity/personalized plates for their cars (initials + numbers). I always kind of assumed I'd get one, but when it came time for me to pay for them I thought "why would I spend extra?!" So I have not. Probably will not ever. But, it would be nice to have an easier-to-remember license number. Whenever it's asked for on forms, I have to go out and look. I can remember the letters because I developed a little pnemonic for myself, but for the life of me, I can't seem to remember the numbers!

Not personalized plates, but DH and I have two of the available dozen or so "fancy" plates instead of the boring standard issue ones. Mine has a lighthouse on it, his has a duck or some other waterfowl in flight. The numbers/letters on them were assigned by the DMV.

There was a one-time extra fee, but no additional yearly renewal fees.

DH went to get plates for a vehicle years ago and just by luck got a number that meant something to me. He had not noticed until I pointed it out. Then I got plates for another vehicle which had another significant number. No extra charge but very easy to remember. Some people are just lucky, I guess.

Lol not what I said but ok.

But saying that someone is going to kidnap or rob you or worse because they see your vanity plate does sound a bit paranoid.

Considering I was given that advice by some sheriff's deputies I'll be sure to let them know it's a paranoid delusion and they don't know what they're talking about.

View attachment 336753 I've had this plate for 30 some years. It became my screen name when Al Gore invented the internets, and hence my nickname as well. There's a stack of registration stickers on it about 1/8" thick!

Secretary of State hasn't made you update your plate yet? We had that version for years and they forced us to update last year because they were more than ten years old. My mother thought she skated when they didn't force her to update, but they got her this year.

It's supposedly because too many were not clearly visible for police, but ours were as clear to read as yours is.

I had MICKEY28 on my Miata until a couple of years ago in NY. Prior to that I had DISNEY 4 on my other NY car, but turned that in also. On my Florida car I had DISNEY5 until last summer. Someone else probably have them now.

My wife still has a Disney plate on her NY car, but I'll not post it due to still being current.

Considering I was given that advice by some sheriff's deputies I'll be sure to let them know it's a paranoid delusion and they don't know what they're talking about.

And future son in law is an officer and thinks it’s paranoia too. So one person vs another’s opinion.

Anything can make one vulnerable to the bad guys. Everyone just has to make the decision best for them.

I don't get them because I don't want my car to be easily identifiable/remembered. I'm a fantastic driver though, I swear!! :tongue:

Edited to add:
After reading the other replies, it's not so much paranoia as it is road rage. There has been some pretty bad cases of it in our area, so if I unintentionally tick off another car, I don't want to make it easier on them to remember my make/model/license plate etc. People are crazy! I'm not worried about parking lots, it's the drivers I'm worried about ;)

Last edited:
My friend had 49er plates several years ago. Someone egged the plates - not the car - just the plates. LOL

Secretary of State hasn't made you update your plate yet? We had that version for years and they forced us to update last year because they were more than ten years old. My mother thought she skated when they didn't force her to update, but they got her this year.

It's supposedly because too many were not clearly visible for police, but ours were as clear to read as yours is.
They have not! You can't get this plate anymore. And I have yet to be stalked or kidnapped dammit!

I would get a national park plate if it was a one time charge. I 'will not' pay every year for the same plate though - just my own personal pet peeve!

In my city there are a ton of different themed licence plates available. There are some for the Winnipeg Jets, some for firefighters, some for the Humaine society, some for veterans, some for our football team, and some for our baseball team.

I have Jets plates (obviously) but don’t have a car to put them on. It’s a status thing with them because the first run started with WJ then JO then J1 so if you have J1 plates you’re a latecomer.

I have WJ plates (first run) and they are so popular that it’s advised to put them on your car with special screws..they can’t be loosened with a screwdriver, they need a special tool.

Are your plates for the Arizona Coyotes or the Atlanta Thrashers? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter