Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

After reading reports, I had to try the vegetable skewer at Primo Piatto. It ended up being my favorite item of the trip: even better than I expected. I had the cauliflower steak at The Boathouse and it was also excellent. I got my usual Crew Stew curry at Skipper Canteen which is always good.

The only vegetable item I had at the festival was the honey-glazed cauliflower at The Honey Bee-Stro. It was very good, but definitely snack-sized.

Just back and I tried both the steam bun and the potato pancake--and both were awful. The potato pancakes were limp and the steam bun's filling was unamusing, to say the least. I was surprised, since both were recommended by the woman who writes one of the WDW vegan food blogs. Perhaps she was there at a different time of day than I was. I was there in the afternoon. The bun was cold and the potato pancakes were so bad I threw them out after a couple of bites.

Also, while we're on the subject of Epcot, in case you liked the hummus-and-veggie pack at Sunshine Seasons--it had regular hummus, raw carrots and raw broccoli--that has been replaced with a red-pepper-flavored hummus, tamari rice crackers, raw cucumbers, and green and black olives. Warning--the green olives were very spicy. All in all, a downgrade from the former iteration, much saltier, and only one unspiced, uncured veggie.

Lately I've noticed that several vegan items have been replaced by much spicier counterparts. As someone who doesn't like spicy things at all, this is a great disappointment. For example, at POFQ, there was a vegan chickpea salad sandwich for a while. It was pretty good, although, of course, salty, as most all WDW food is, but it was a nice option to have. Now the chickpea salad--not in a sandwich--is curried and it is quite spicy. I tried it just in case WDW's idea of curry was milder than I thought it might be, but it was in fact spicy.

Because of this we stopped over at the Mara last week since their chickpea salad sandwich has always been good. But they made two changes: (1) it's on a pita now and (2) at least one side of the inside of the pita is coated in a super spicy sauce of some kind (not noted on the ingredients list, btw), so I ended up eating the chickpea salad with a fork and leaving the pita for the garbage.

POFQ also now has an impossible meatloaf with mushroom gravy. If you like that sort of thing, you might like this, but I'm not a mushroom person, so it was a fail for me.

On the good side of things, I had several great meals this past week, including:

(1) Yak & Yeti: They will make the sweet-and-sour chicken with tofu instead. I'm not sure it's noted on the menu, but the servers know about it. This was delish, and the rice at Y&Y is so good.

(2) GFC: Also not on the menu, but they will make the miso salmon with tofu instead, and it was really delish. Comes with green beans and sticky rice. Just terrific.

(3) Mama Melrose's: Their bread is vegan and comes with olive oil dipping sauce. Off-menu is spaghetti marinara--make sure to ask for it without parmesan on top, since sometimes they do that automatically--which is quite good. And our server told us that they had a plant-based chocolate cake, which I had for dessert. Yummy! My sister had the Tofutti. A very satisfying meal.

(4) Blaze: What can I say? Blaze knows how to do vegan/vegetarian. My sister doesn't have a Blaze nearby at home, so this was a special treat for her. The vegan cheesy bread is soooo good.

(5) Nine Dragons: Spring rolls are vegan (but, warning, the sauce isn't--so we don't use it). Also the stir-fry tofu and veggie entree is quite good. Nine Dragons is a lovely venue, the staff there is always so kind and accommodating, and it's a nice break from the heat and crowds--and it was crowded the last few days of our trip.

(6) Popcorn. Yes, I'm addicted to WDW popcorn. We always get a bucket and refill it more than a couple of times. Sometimes I bring the bucket home. This time, not. Also, in case you didn't know, the WDW Mickey pretzels are vegan, and sometimes they become breakfast when we rope-drop.

I didn't have any Mickey waffles this trip! Next time, for sure. I usually have them on getaway day, but I had to catch the Mears bus at 5:40 a.m. so no breakfast for me. Shout-out to Mears, btw. It's not free but it's not super expensive either, and rideshare has become quite pricey. I was surprised at how much traffic there was before 6 a.m. on the way to the airport.

Last week we stayed at POP and tried the Impossible meatloaf which was delicious! The Impossible Korean BBQ burger, not so much - far too spicy!
I think that might be the same impossible meatloaf that's at FQ. So I guess you like mushrooms!

Last week we stayed at POP and tried the Impossible meatloaf which was delicious! The Impossible Korean BBQ burger, not so much - far too spicy!
The Korean burger in my tastes is sooo much more palatable to the various combinations of smashed avocado, jackfruit and vegan cheeses that was pretty much the only QS offering post Pandemic reopening for the longest time

I had the meatloaf at FQ recently. No gravy on the loaf but the mashed potatoes had mushroom gravy. I don’t really like mushrooms a lot and enjoyed the gravy. Though the consistency was of broth, not gravy.

Had the avocado toast today at Epcot, it was very good! Almost worth the $6 and that is saying something for festival food.

Learned today the ranch dressing for the youngling dippers at DB7 is vegan now!

Lately I've noticed that several vegan items have been replaced by much spicier counterparts. As someone who doesn't like spicy things at all, this is a great disappointment. For example, at POFQ, there was a vegan chickpea salad sandwich for a while. It was pretty good, although, of course, salty, as most all WDW food is, but it was a nice option to have. Now the chickpea salad--not in a sandwich--is curried and it is quite spicy. I tried it just in case WDW's idea of curry was milder than I thought it might be, but it was in fact spicy.
This is acutally my biggest concern with our upcoming trip. I have four vegan kids and the number of vegan offerings that are spicy are too many....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts