Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Anyone have any info on the new pizzafari family style dinner? Are there vegetarian choices?

We are also wondering if there is a vegetarian option there.

I saw the below information on a Facebook post.

“I read a pretty thorough review from Disney Food Blog and in the comments a lot of people were asking if this could be modified vegetarian/vegan. They replied that they are indeed offering a vegetarian version with meatless ziti and alfredo and cheese pizza but that it can't be made vegan at this time. Hope that helps!”

Question: Not a vegan but I wonder why meat free food (vegan) is often made to look like a meat object. Like they now have a Fishless Fish and Chips at the take out counter at Great Britain in Epcot. I have no idea what it is made of, but they made it look like real fish and chips.

Question: Not a vegan but I wonder why meat free food (vegan) is often made to look like a meat object. Like they now have a Fishless Fish and Chips at the take out counter at Great Britain in Epcot. I have no idea what it is made of, but they made it look like real fish and chips.
. Here is the link
https://www.gardein.com/products/golden-fishless-filet/

My daughter who dislikes any fish absolutely Love these! They actually do taste like fish sticks and are super yummy.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I miss some of the social and tangible/somatic aspects of meat eating. A lot of our comfort foods and celebratory meals are meat-centric, so having spaghetti and zucchini chunks isn’t as emotionally satisfying as spaghetti and fake meatballs, tofu squares in a bun don’t give the ‘snap’ of a brat, etc. I think it’s about still being able to relate to and join in with meat-eating friends and family, and still having the ‘feel’ of the things you used to love. I never liked fish and chips so I’ll be skipping the meatless versions too, but I’m excited for the plant based dog at Casey’s.

I think it goes beyond that. Think about why something like a hamburger or a hot dog exists - even steaks. None of these are meat eating in its native form (in the same way eating a drumstick or beef rib is). They are meat adapted to a certain way of eating - it makes sense that as veg*an eating progresses that veg*an ingredients would be adapted to the some of the same forms that meat previously had been.​

But doesn't it give people watching you eat the idea that you enjoy eating meat? Why not just enjoy the vegetables or soy in that form? I guess I'm just still confused.

But doesn't it give people watching you eat the idea that you enjoy eating meat?
People who watch me eat are creepy! :) Seriously, anyone who is eating vegetarian because of other people watching them eat needs to re-think why they're a vegetarian.

Why not just enjoy the vegetables or soy in that form?
Well that was my point: Why not eat meat on the bone, the way it comes? Why make it into hamburgers, hot dogs or steaks? Answer those questions and you've answered your own question.

I guess I'm just still confused.
I think the word "vegetarian" is the cause of the confusion. We're not literally vegetarians; we are merely "non-animal-meat-eaters". If you read the word "vegetarian" to literally mean "non-animal-meat-eaters" then that might helps. It isn't about eating vegetables; as a vegetarian I would get most of my protein not from vegetable but rather from legumes, beans, grains, nuts and dairy. If I can take some grain, beans, nuts, and vegetables and make it into a hamburger patty, that's great.

People who watch me eat are creepy! :) Seriously, anyone who is eating vegetarian because of other people watching them eat needs to re-think why they're a vegetarian.

:laughing: Yes! If I cared what other people thought about my food I’d still eat meat—it’s confusing to me how immediately hostile some people can get if they notice another person abstaining from animal products, even temporarily. :confused3

:laughing: Yes! If I cared what other people thought about my food I’d still eat meat—it’s confusing to me how immediately hostile some people can get if they notice another person abstaining from animal products, even temporarily. :confused3

As someone who is not vegan or vegetarian, but is a healthy eater, I can say that this seems to be because people feel insecure about what they’re eating. I don’t say anything about what other people are eating, but they sometimes feel the need to comment on my food.

Trying to select an lunch/dinner table restaurant and I can’t decide on any specific one with best selection of food. In your opinion, where would u recommend if money is no object and availability. (We did Sanaa, tusker House and trails end already). Which restaurant do you rave about to your friends ;)

Does anyone have recommendations for QS foods that are both vegetarian and low carb? (So no beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, or bread. I'm looking for soy, eggs, dairy, nuts, and vegetables.) I can probably manage to substitute well enough at our table service meals, though I'm still nervous about those, too. But I'm stumped about QS options and snacks. Most nights we'll be eating a QS dinner and can go to any of the All-Star food courts. I didn't see much on the menus that would work, but I'm hoping there are some options not listed on the menu.

Does anyone have recommendations for QS foods that are both vegetarian and low carb? (So no beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, or bread. I'm looking for soy, eggs, dairy, nuts, and vegetables.) I can probably manage to substitute well enough at our table service meals, though I'm still nervous about those, too. But I'm stumped about QS options and snacks. Most nights we'll be eating a QS dinner and can go to any of the All-Star food courts. I didn't see much on the menus that would work, but I'm hoping there are some options not listed on the menu.

Perhaps you could get the veggie rice platter at Pecos Bill’s, and ask for the rice and beans to be substituted for more veggies? Order guacamole if you want, and then there is the topping station with corn salsa and various other salsas, jalapenos, lettuce,etc., to create a salad bowl?

I'm vegan and I'm not much for the fake meats, but I do enjoy a quality home made vegan burger now and again. I think a lot of these products act as gateway foods to a more plant based lifestyle. Eating plant-based is certainly healthier but can be overwhelming for people who are switching from meat. I think these products are familiar and therefore easier for some people to eat.

Hi there, I am traveling with my 15 yo picky eater, mostly vegetarian. She doesn't eat meat in the sense that she won't eat a hamburger, but she wouldn't notice or care about things like chicken stock in a soup. The biggest issues is that she won't eat a lot of the go to veggie foods, like quinoa or other grains, or tofu or things like that. When we go out, she mostly eats kid basics (mac and cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, pasta) or gets things like tomato soup or a bunch of vegetable side dishes together. Surprisingly, she will also eat spinach salad or salads with fruit/nuts.

I have been looking through menus but I'm having trouble finding places that have food she will eat, especially table service. We can bring food for her to eat, but Id love to find places she can eat a restaurant meal too. Any suggestions for places that may fit her diet?

Also is there a way to find out "off menu" options? Honestly, she would eat pasta with butter or red sauce every other day if she needs to, but I don't know how easy it is to get that kind of thing.

Will anyone give her a hard time about ordering off the kids menu if necessary? Many of them offer veggie kid staples she might eat.

Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!

Hi there, I am traveling with my 15 yo picky eater, mostly vegetarian. She doesn't eat meat in the sense that she won't eat a hamburger, but she wouldn't notice or care about things like chicken stock in a soup. The biggest issues is that she won't eat a lot of the go to veggie foods, like quinoa or other grains, or tofu or things like that. When we go out, she mostly eats kid basics (mac and cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, pasta) or gets things like tomato soup or a bunch of vegetable side dishes together. Surprisingly, she will also eat spinach salad or salads with fruit/nuts.

I have been looking through menus but I'm having trouble finding places that have food she will eat, especially table service. We can bring food for her to eat, but Id love to find places she can eat a restaurant meal too. Any suggestions for places that may fit her diet?

Also is there a way to find out "off menu" options? Honestly, she would eat pasta with butter or red sauce every other day if she needs to, but I don't know how easy it is to get that kind of thing.

Will anyone give her a hard time about ordering off the kids menu if necessary? Many of them offer veggie kid staples she might eat.

For table service, you can ask them to leave the meat off of pasta dishes or salads. That opens up a lot more options. If she'll eat it, you can ask them to sub extra veggies (or other ingredients, like cheese or nuts) for the meat.

There won't be a problem with her ordering off the kids menu. You can also ask for an adult-sized portion of a kids menu item for an extra charge. Most of the restaurants have things like grilled cheese, pasta, pizza, or Mac and cheese on the kids menu. The restaurants are really good about accommodating picky eaters. Don't forget to check out the appetizer menus for restaurants too as most have salads and many offer soups that might work or other vegetarian apps.

With her diet, she will likely be able to find plenty of sides at any buffet. They pretty much all have things like various veggies, potatoes, Mac and cheese, salads, sometimes basic pasta or pizza. Most of the restaurants at breakfast time will have pancakes or waffles, some kind of breakfast potato, and eggs if she eats those.

For lunch/dinner, Homecomin' offers a side sampler where she can pick 3 different sides and the Mac and cheese is delicious. Garden Grill has a vegetarian option which comes with a veggie loaf that she may or may not be willing to eat, but it also comes with Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing, fries, salad, and rolls. Via Napoli has lots of pizza and pasta options. Mama Melrose also has several pastas as well as flatbreads and minestrone soup. The new Pizzafari family-style dining at AK can be ordered vegetarian (and you can do it where you still get the normal meat items and she gets vegetarian). It comes with 2 salads, pizza, 2 pastas, and cannoli. Planet Hollywood has a spinach salad with berries and nuts, as well as a few pastas that can be ordered without the meat.

Hoop Dee Doo has a separate vegetarian menu that offers grilled veggies, pasta marinara, or pasta marinara with veggies. La Hacienda de San Angel also has a vegetarian menu that includes cheese empanadas, veggie tacos, veggie enchiladas, and a spinach salad. San Angel Inn has a vegetarian menu with an entree salad or a Vegetarian Plate that includes sauteed veggies atop black beans with tortillas. California Grill's vegetarian menu allows you to select 4 options off a large list. Flying Fish, Tutto Italia, Narcoossee's, and The Wave all have separate vegetarian menus too that you can Google with the restaurant name and "vegetarian menu."

Also, not sure if you will be going to the water parks, but both of them have a large quick service that have a separate vegetarian menu on a huge sign outside. I can't remember everything offered, but there was some kind of veggie burger, a veggie wrap, veggie or cheese flatbreads, and I think one or two more things- maybe a salad?

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just posted a YouTube video on some of the vegetarian options at Food and Wine. There are more options than in the previous years but sadly most of them are desserts or too hot to eat in 90 degree weather.

My stand out choices were the Loaded Nachos from Greece and the Mango Lassi from India

I just posted a YouTube video on some of the vegetarian options at Food and Wine. There are more options than in the previous years but sadly most of them are desserts or too hot to eat in 90 degree weather.

We just returned from a quick trip 9/20-9/23. Totally agree that many/most of the items are desserts or too hot to eat in 90 degree weather (like we had during our trip).

That said...our personal favorites were the Lentil Stew from Africa (absolutely heavenly, so I ate two bowls despite the heat) and the Butternut Squash Ravioli from the booth on the walkway between WS and FW. We also really liked the Spanikopita from Greece (H loved the nachos, but I'm not a fake meat lover so I didn't care for them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!