Vegas stopover with kids on way to DL

snowy76

<font color=blue>I do a panic dance<br><font color
Hi all...

We're in the early stages of planning a trip to Disneyland for 2007 or 2008... depending on budget... but I need some input...

We live in upstate NY and we plan to fly to Salt Lake, where DH used to live. Then we'll drive to DLR with an overnight in Vegas. Since we'll be in Vegas just one night, we'd love to treat the kids (by then, DS14, DD12, and DS2) to one of the big themed resorts, maybe Luxor, or Excalibur? I know there are some very different resorts and not all are so family-friendly.

DH and I don't plan to gamble, especially with a baby to worry about. We just think it would be fun to stay somewhere over the top. Any experiences/suggestions?

Oops -- just noticed calena's earlier thread. Anything to add?

I think Mirage would be great,white tigers,wall size aquariums, an exploding volcanoe....and a great pool.

Here's my piece of probably unexpected advice! ;)

Plan your night (I'd add one more if you can!) for a WEEKNIGHT! Rooms are much less expensive, and everything on the Strip is less crowded.

On your way down from SLC, I hope you're planning a detour to Bryce Canyon/Zion, and maybe Valley of Fire, too! Your kids would probably be amazed at the different landscape from where you live.

We have been to Las Vegas a few times with the kids. Good advice about getting the rooms during the week. My advice ios make sure the hotel charges per room not per person. I know the Excalibur is per room. This is where we stayed. They have a great arcade and lots of families by the pool. The NY, NY & Treasure Island are per person. The hotels are trying to keep the families out now because they tried to include them during the 90's and realized we just don't spend the big bucks. Have fun! :cool1:

I would recommend staying at Mandalay Bay. There pool is awsome and they have an aquarium that you guys could visit. Also Mandalay Bay, Luxor and Excalibur are all connected by their own little tram so you can go back and forht between all three if you want. Also NYNY is across the street from Excalibur so you can take the kids on the roller coaster if they are up to it. I also recomend staying during the week, Sunday - Wednesday, much cheaper fro the rooms.

Thanks everyone. Nothing like the advice from DISers! :disrocks:

So, my hunch about staying on a weeknight seems right! My guess is we'll be in SLC for the weekend and then on to Vegas maybe Tuesday? Then on to DLR before the weekend to avoid some of the crowds. I think for me it was already coming down to Excalibur, Luxor or Mandalay Bay. Nice to hear they are easy to get to from one another! I have a feeling we'll land at one of them and then check out the others. I also like the Bryce/Zion suggestion... DH has been, of course, but this is the first trip for the rest of us. I've traveled all over the East Coast and eastern Canada but other than a few days in Seattle, this will be the first trip beyond Chicago!
I love planning these trips! Love him or hate him, I just have to throw in a banana about now... :banana:

If the choices are between Luxor, Mandalay, and Excalibur definately go with Mandalay Bay, it's the nicest by far, but also the most expensive. If you need a cheaper option choose the Luxor over Excalibur. The Excalibur was dirty, and run down and not anywhere I'd ever want to stay again.

Many people would agree that Luxor and Excalibur are a step down in quality from other strip hotels.....but if cost is an issue.....they still have good location, although they are far to one end of the strip.

I stick with my Mirage reccomendation ;) , but half the fun of Vegas is trying new hotels each stay! You'll just have to come back!

You did not mention what time of year you were planning to visit since that might have an impact on whether or not the pool facilities will be used. In any case, I vote for the Mandalay Bay if budget is not a real concern. However since you will only be there for a night the hotel will really only be used to sleep. There are tons to do in Vegas without spending a cent, the white tigers at the Mirage, the lions at the MGM not to mention watching volcanos, water shows,pirate fights, the gondolas and what not. Add that all up and you are not really spending alot of time on the hotel property. Just something else to consider.

roscodog said:
You did not mention what time of year you were planning to visit since that might have an impact on whether or not the pool facilities will be used. In any case, I vote for the Mandalay Bay if budget is not a real concern. However since you will only be there for a night the hotel will really only be used to sleep. There are tons to do in Vegas without spending a cent, the white tigers at the Mirage, the lions at the MGM not to mention watching volcanos, water shows,pirate fights, the gondolas and what not. Add that all up and you are not really spending alot of time on the hotel property. Just something else to consider.

I'm pretty sure the gondolas aren't free. I remember seeing places to pay for the ride, then there were loooooong lines of people waiting to board them.

No gondolas aren't free....but they are part of the free entertainment(watching) scene at the Venitician (Sp!). We also enjoy the living statues there, which are also free.....but tips very appreciated!

We were just there over the July 4th holiday. I have two children, DD9 and DS6. Although it's not my favorite hotel, we chose Excalibur. I was looking for a room under $100 that had a good pool for the kids. Although there were better hotels under $100, either they had just a plain pool (no slides, lazy river, or wave pool) or they charged extra for children ($25 per person). I know some have said that Exclibur wasn't clean but that was not my experience this time nor the only other time I stayed their. It has a midway on the bottom floor with carnival type games as well as a video arcade and motion simulator rides. The pool had a slide which my children really enjoyed. Most meals we chose to eat elsewhere although we did have lunch at the food court one day and that was fine (McDonalds, Quiznos, Pizza Hut).

There is a website ~ lasvegaskids.net ~ that lists & describes kid-friendly hotels. Click on "Kid Safe Hotels" at the top of the home page. We've been researching this since FIL moved to NV but haven't made it down there yet.

If you are leaning towards Mandalay Bay because of the pool area, look into Monte Carlo. Much cheaper, actually better placed on the Strip, and it has a wave pool and lazy river.

PattiPB said:
If you are leaning towards Mandalay Bay because of the pool area, look into Monte Carlo. Much cheaper, actually better placed on the Strip, and it has a wave pool and lazy river.

I originally chose the Monte Carlo but children do not stay free. They are an extra $25.00 per person, even infants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter