Vegetable Gardening Anyone?

Loving the Disney friendly forum for the not so good gardener newbie!

Ok I have a canteloupe plant with a bazillion flowers for like 2 weeks. They are mostly open. I wanted to 'help' with pollination but I can't tell a boy flower from a girl flower OR they are all girl flowers. Anyone have pics of the two flowers for canteloupe?

Have now 4 pumpkin or gourd plants (I am not sure but they look like pumpkin leaves - I planted both last fall) but don't think any pollinated when we were on vacation. So I'm hoping for new flowers and to help that along too.

Thanks for tips!

I have some dill planted in my garden, and had planted it before, but not used it. Do you have any recipes to share in using dill?

I have some dill planted in my garden, and had planted it before, but not used it. Do you have any recipes to share in using dill?

I use the dill primarily in a cucumber salad, that is a Polish tradition. It's just cucumbers, sour cream, white vinegar, salt, dill, and maybe onions. The dill and onions are optional. My mother didn't use either, DH's mother used dill, so I've used it and have grown to like the flavor.

We peel and slice the cucumber and then add salt, and put something heavy over the cucumbers. The purpose is to drain lots of the water out of the cucumbers. After 1/2 hour or more or less, I squeeze whatever water I can, then add white vinegar, dill, sour cream to taste. Served chilled. It is a Polish dish and brings me back to my childhood.

I love to use my garden grown cucumbers, so for us, it's mostly a summer dish!

Bobbi

Thank you for the recipe Bobbi, sounds refreshing.

I was also thinking of adding dill to salmon, and then baking it. My sister uses it at times on her salmon as well so will ask her for her recipe.

Thank you for the recipe Bobbi, sounds refreshing.

I was also thinking of adding dill to salmon, and then baking it. My sister uses it at times on her salmon as well so will ask her for her recipe.

Oh yes, I use dill on my salmon, I just sprinkle it on as I broil it. DH likes a more spicy flavor, so I use a Cajun or blackened bought mix on his, and lemon and dill on mine.

Nice harvest pictures everyone. They've certainly provided a great incentive for me to get back out there and start preparing my soil.

Spring is springing in Melbourne and I got out to weed my garden at the weekend. The area near where the banana plant is growing....took me 2 hours to clear away the wilderness that had sprung up over the winter. I swear....someone hit me next year if I don't get out in the garden and do some weeding during the winter months.

Oh well....only another 90% of the garden to weed. :scared1:

And I have a picture of the bananas we've harvested. I'll post it when I load it up.

Salmon? Did someone mention salmon and dill?

Christmas2010142.jpg

Take some salmon cutlets and make a stuffing by crumbing some bread and mixing with toasted pine nuts, sultanas, DILL and parsley.

Debone the cutlet and 'truss' up the salmon with some kitchen twine. (I've obviously not de-boned the cutlet in the picture....I forgot!)

Stuff the middle with the stuffing and bake in an oven (180 C) for about 15 - 20 minutes.

I love salmon and dill together!

Yes, I mentioned about salmon, and dill. Looks yummy!

My kids, and I picked some basil just before school to give to one of the staff members. The smell of fresh basil-can't beat that.

Yes, I mentioned about salmon, and dill. Looks yummy!

My kids, and I picked some basil just before school to give to one of the staff members. The smell of fresh basil-can't beat that.

I use my basil on home made pizzas. The taste and fragrance is wonderful! We have homemade pizza often when the tomatoes ripen!:thumbsup2

This weekend is the first weekend in Spring for us that live downunder...:upsidedow. Most definitely time to think about vegetable gardening.

I've spent close on 3 hours in the garden yesterday and DH and I spent another 2 hours in the garden today. All we've done is pull up weeds. I figure I've cleared out 2/3 of the garden beds; and will probably spend another 3 hours next weekend doing more of the same.

How I wish I hadn't been so lazy over the winter months and gotten in there to keep the weeds under control.

Still....it was such a pleasure to feel the soil and to work with it again.

I'm going to get some Wettasoil, Blood and Bone, Dynamic Lifter and Organic Compost either later today or tomorrow to rejuvenate the soil.

princess::upsidedow

That sounds like a good plan, Princess! What sort of temps, have you had over the weekend. Here in Ohio, we went from 96F on Saturday and today, Monday, the high was only 70F, if it reached 70 at our house. We had a chilly day, but DH and DSon worked hard at chopping down an invasive honeysuckle. They got about 1/2 of it, and DS promises to come again and help DH finish.

We'll soon be putting our beds to rest for the winter!

I just picked some bush beans. Does anyone have any preperation styles or recipes they could share?

That sounds like a good plan, Princess! What sort of temps, have you had over the weekend. Here in Ohio, we went from 96F on Saturday and today, Monday, the high was only 70F, if it reached 70 at our house. We had a chilly day, but DH and DSon worked hard at chopping down an invasive honeysuckle. They got about 1/2 of it, and DS promises to come again and help DH finish.

We'll soon be putting our beds to rest for the winter!

We had a lovely weekend last weekend, with temperatures in the 60's. Perfect for gardening.

Sadly, we're back to just on 50 today. Going to be low 50's for the rest of the week and possibly a showery weekend next weekend.

Ah.....Melbourne.....don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes!

I just picked some bush beans. Does anyone have any preperation styles or recipes they could share?

I saw your thread on the CB but thought I'd answer here instead. :cutie:

I've used this recipe for string beans and for snow peas. Figure it will work with the bush beans as well. Coincidentally, I made it with snow peas this last weekend and was going to share the recipe on the What's For Dinner Thread but haven't gotten round to downloading my pictures yet.

Ingredients:
String or bush beans (or snow peas)
Cherry tomatoes, 1 punnet
Sweet Chilli sauce, 2 tablespoon
Soya sauce, 1 tablespoon
Water, 1 tablespoon
Garlic, minced - 1 clove or more
Ginger (optional) - sliced
Oil

Mix the sweet chilli sauce, soya sauce and water together to form the 'dressing'.

Wash the beans and either steam, blanch or cook in the microwave until tender.

In a wok or frying pan, heat a little oil and fry the garlic and ginger for about 30 seconds. Add the cherry tomatoes (you can either cut in half or leave them whole). Toss for 1 - 2 minutes.

Add the dressing to the wok or pan and when hot, add the beans.

Toss together for another 1 - 2 minutes.

Makes a nice side dish to a fish meal.

And an alternative recipe to try. I love this at my local middle eastern eatery:
http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/fassolakia-recipe

I saw your thread on the CB but thought I'd answer here instead. :cutie:

I've used this recipe for string beans and for snow peas. Figure it will work with the bush beans as well. Coincidentally, I made it with snow peas this last weekend and was going to share the recipe on the What's For Dinner Thread but haven't gotten round to downloading my pictures yet.

Ingredients:
String or bush beans (or snow peas)
Cherry tomatoes, 1 punnet
Sweet Chilli sauce, 2 tablespoon
Soya sauce, 1 tablespoon
Water, 1 tablespoon
Garlic, minced - 1 clove or more
Ginger (optional) - sliced
Oil

Mix the sweet chilli sauce, soya sauce and water together to form the 'dressing'.

Wash the beans and either steam, blanch or cook in the microwave until tender.

In a wok or frying pan, heat a little oil and fry the garlic and ginger for about 30 seconds. Add the cherry tomatoes (you can either cut in half or leave them whole). Toss for 1 - 2 minutes.

Add the dressing to the wok or pan and when hot, add the beans.

Toss together for another 1 - 2 minutes.

Makes a nice side dish to a fish meal.

And an alternative recipe to try. I love this at my local middle eastern eatery:
http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/fassolakia-recipe

Thank you for the recipe, and tips!

We pulled out the vegetable plants over the weekend. Our garden is resting for the winter now. We haven't had a frost yet, so the parsley and basil are still OK. I've enough tomatoes for 1 or 2 more homemade pizzas, then I have to make do with the store varieties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!