Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

Did you know "Gonna Make You Sweat" is exactly 4:00 long??
upload_2018-4-4_15-21-10.jpeg
The things you learn on a training plan. :rotfl2: When you have 4:00 intervals, you plan your workout playlist to play good songs that will keep your feet moving quickly!

Another good training week with no missed runs! I'll be honest that I've reached that point in my training where I am just kind of over it and think of reasons not to run. This always seems to happen to me but once I get out there and get the runs done I feel so accomplished! I am just a hot mess express sometimes.

upload_2018-4-4_14-54-21.jpeg

So what happened??
Thursday, 3/29 - PROGRESSION RUN! I love progression runs. 2 mile warm up, followed by mile splits of 9:22, 9:08, 8:53, 8:16, 7:59, 7:34 and a 2 mile cool down. All goal splits met!

Friday, 3/30 - 6 miles @ 10:11 pace.

Saturday, 3/31 - 8.5 miles @ 9:23 pace. This was supposed to be a 9 mile run, but in order to have a whole number for the month of March I needed my run to end with a .5. Since I had a 14 miler scheduled for Sunday, I decided to cut this run .5 miles short to end March with 178.

Sunday, 4/1 - 14 miles total @ 8:53 pace. The first 12 miles were supposed to be run at LR pace (9:10) and my splits were 9:00, 9:05, 9:01, 9:04, 9:07, 9:04, 9:04, 8:54, 9:03, 9:00, 9:04, and 8:57. Then I was supposed to run at Tempo (8:04) for the last 2 miles and my splits were 7:58 and 8:03. This run was such a confidence booster!

Monday, 4/2 - 5 miles @ 10:09 pace.

Tuesday, 4/3 - This was the day of excuses. I was tired, work was crazy, I had to go to the dentist, I couldn't run at the track, and it was HOT. Our high was 84 degrees with a dew point of 59, so I sent @DopeyBadger a message asking how I could adjust my run. He told me to change my target for the I paces to 7:30 instead of 7:15 to account for the heat. He also said my overall goal was not to fade. I am not sure what it is about his pep talks, but I kept chanting to myself "don't fade" over and over during my run and it worked!

I ran my 2 mile warm up @ 10:43 pace, my splits for the 4:00 intervals were 7:25, 7:22, 7:20, 7:19 and 7:14, followed by my 2 mile cool down @ 10:29 pace. SO happy with this run too!

Hopefully I can work on this motivation thing and finish out this training plan strong!
lackofmotivation.jpg

Upcoming Training Schedule:

Th: 2 mile WU+ 6 mile Tempo (8:04) +2 mile CD
F: 6 miles @ EA (10:12)
Sa: 9 miles @ EB (9:31)
Su: 10 miles @ LR (9:10)
M: 6 miles @ EA
Tu: 2 mile WU + 2x2 mile @ T (7:54) w/2 min RI + 2 mile CD
W: Rest day!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-4_14-52-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-4_14-52-44.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 1
Way to go! Incredible! I definitely understand the lack of motivation/ love hate with running but a great run cures that fast!

Thursday, 3/29 - PROGRESSION RUN! I love progression runs. 2 mile warm up, followed by mile splits of 9:22, 9:08, 8:53, 8:16, 7:59, 7:34 and a 2 mile cool down. All goal splits met!

Remind me of this when I write the next plan so I can incorporate them more often.

Sunday, 4/1 - 14 miles total @ 8:53 pace. The first 12 miles were supposed to be run at LR pace (9:10) and my splits were 9:00, 9:05, 9:01, 9:04, 9:07, 9:04, 9:04, 8:54, 9:03, 9:00, 9:04, and 8:57. Then I was supposed to run at Tempo (8:04) for the last 2 miles and my splits were 7:58 and 8:03. This run was such a confidence booster!

That is an outstanding run. RnR Nashville better watch out because you're going to burn up the road!

Hopefully I can work on this motivation thing and finish out this training plan strong!

screen-shot-2014-04-13-at-8-26-26-am.png

Way to go! Incredible! I definitely understand the lack of motivation/ love hate with running but a great run cures that fast!

Completely agree! Thanks!

Remind me of this when I write the next plan so I can incorporate them more often.

That is an outstanding run. RnR Nashville better watch out because you're going to burn up the road!

screen-shot-2014-04-13-at-8-26-26-am.png

Ok, I definitely will! LOL, I hope I can burn up the road!

Heading into Peak Week!
upload_2018-4-12_9-13-55.jpeg

It is finally time for Peak Week and then the taper! I've been feeling pretty good during this training plan, and I think I've only missed three runs total? I just need to work on knowing the location of my Garmin charger and checking the battery life and then everything would be wonderful!

So what happened this week?

Thursday, 4/5 - This recap is not going to start out well because I missed this tempo run. I always run on lunch or immediately after work. Unfortunately work has been crazy and I didn't end up leaving until after 5:30. My husband and I carpool and have a 45 minute commute, so by the time I got him, got through the traffic and arrived home it was 7:30. This run would have taken me until 9:00 to do and I had not eaten so I skipped it. Epic fail and I hate making excuses. Get it together, Kristin!
upload_2018-4-12_9-20-50.jpeg

Friday, 4/6 - 5 easy miles on the treadmill @ 10:05 pace.

Saturday, 4/7 - 9 miles @ 9:24 pace.

Sunday, 4/8 - The dead watch/lost charger run. This happens at least once per week. I forget to charge my watch or check the battery life and it dies, only this time I couldn't find the charger anywhere! So I set out on a true blind run! If I timed it right, I ran my 10 miles @ 9:19 pace, but I struggle with math so who knows if that is right. :confused3

Monday, 4/9 - 6 miles @ 10:00 pace.

Tuesday, 4/10 - 2 mile warm up @ 10:27 pace. 2x2 miles @ T pace (goal 7:54). The first 2 mile paces were a 7:44 average, with splits of 7:38 and 7:51. My neighbor's dogs tried to attack me on this run (all FIVE of them) so I got to use my pepper spray and ran that first mile a bit fast. The second 2 mile paces were a 7:49 average with splits of 7:43 and 7:54. I finished it up with a 2 mile cool down @ 10:39 pace. This run felt pretty good overall!

Wednesday, 4/11 - REST DAY!

Sa: 9 miles @ EB (9:31)
Su: 14 miles @ LR (9:10)
M: 6 miles @ EA
Tu: 2 mile WU + 4x1 mile @ T (7:54) w/1 min RI + 1 mile CD

a999adfe26ebc81a94754b364c4881b077ae695bd220d1a963142ef521df008b.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-12_9-17-8.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-12_9-17-8.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1

Tuesday, 4/10 - 2 mile warm up @ 10:27 pace. 2x2 miles @ T pace (goal 7:54). The first 2 mile paces were a 7:44 average, with splits of 7:38 and 7:51. My neighbor's dogs tried to attack me on this run (all FIVE of them) so I got to use my pepper spray and ran that first mile a bit fast. The second 2 mile paces were a 7:49 average with splits of 7:43 and 7:54. I finished it up with a 2 mile cool down @ 10:39 pace. This run felt pretty good overall!

FIVE DOGS?!?!?!

How did they like the pepper spray?

FIVE DOGS?!?!?!

How did they like the pepper spray?

Wait, what?!?!?! Hoping you had some strong words with your neighbor!:furious:

LOL! I guess I need to elaborate. They are not my direct neighbor, but live about one mile away (sadly I know this since I run the route so much). They have five dogs that are always sitting on their front porch. Some days they chase me and some days they don't. Yard is not fenced in at all, but since we do not live on a very busy road I guess they are not concerned with them getting hit. They are all mixed breeds, two are the size of chihuahuas, two look like German Pinschers and one is a lab mix. The dang four tiny dogs are the ones who bark and run out to the road. They normally stay in their yard, but this time they came in the road and were behind me and beside my ankles. I love dogs, but it freaks me out when I do not know the dog so I sprayed one and the others caught on and went away. I was also screaming "GET THE F*** AWAY" repeatedly and loudly. LOL.

Unfortunately I don't think talking to the owners would do much good...so I will just keep pepper spraying them. I was actually a bit afraid the owner would be in the yard with a shotgun when I ran back if he saw me spray them :duck:

LOL! I guess I need to elaborate. They are not my direct neighbor, but live about one mile away (sadly I know this since I run the route so much). They have five dogs that are always sitting on their front porch. Some days they chase me and some days they don't. Yard is not fenced in at all, but since we do not live on a very busy road I guess they are not concerned with them getting hit. They are all mixed breeds, two are the size of chihuahuas, two look like German Pinschers and one is a lab mix. The dang four tiny dogs are the ones who bark and run out to the road. They normally stay in their yard, but this time they came in the road and were behind me and beside my ankles. I love dogs, but it freaks me out when I do not know the dog so I sprayed one and the others caught on and went away. I was also screaming "GET THE F*** AWAY" repeatedly and loudly. LOL.

Unfortunately I don't think talking to the owners would do much good...so I will just keep pepper spraying them. I was actually a bit afraid the owner would be in the yard with a shotgun when I ran back if he saw me spray them :duck:
Geez. I feel like the owner should get pepper-sprayed instead of the dogs. I mean, obviously I would protect myself first, too, but like in the scheme of things, it's the dumb owner's fault their dogs are outside and able to chase someone down. Glad you were okay!!

Jeez louise that dog story is crazy. So glad you're ok. You've also had a couple of great training weeks since I last checked in, you're going to crush your race!

On a separate note, I'm glad you wrote about motivation waning towards the end of a training plan. I still have a month to go until my race but I've skipped several EA (Monday AM for me) run recently, and in all but maybe one case, I totally made excuses for something I could have found a way to do. I'm setting a goal to get every run in from now until the end of the plan unless I'm legit injured or feel that I'm risking injury. Anyways, all of that to say, thanks for writing about your own motivation (or lack thereof sometimes)... I can relate.

It's all downhill from here (or uphill and back downhill if you're running RNR Nashville)
2bf34511b58be42c0f9a983431458e46f2247e9c44581fd484947181305748b3.jpg

One more week of training and only one true workout until the big day! I'm trying not to put any pressure on myself and focus on things other than setting a PR. Luckily the Boston Marathon has helped distract me this week, but it has only made me want to get even faster to make it there one day. Since I am running so many halves this year, I know I will have other chances for a PR, but this training plan has gone so close to perfect that I don't want to waste it. Anyway, enough of my ramblings, let's get to the details.

So what happened last week?
Thursday, 4/12 - 2 mile warm up @ 10:23, 5 tempo miles @ 8:06, 8:09, 8:15, 8:22, and 8:19. 2 mile cool down @ 10:34 pace. This tempo run was supposed to be 6 miles, but my body was not feeling it due to lack of water and heat. I also tripped over a dog leash during mile 3 being held by a lovely woman who apparently had no idea what courtesy or manners were. LOL. I tried to get back in the groove, but it just was not happening for that final mile.

Friday, 4/13 - 6 miles @ 10:11 pace.

Saturday, 4/14 - 9 miles @ 9:21 pace.

Sunday, 4/15 - 14 miles @ 9:08 pace.

Monday, 4/16 - 4 treadmill miles @ 9:51 pace and 1 puppy mile at :confused3 pace. I have started teaching Barkley to walk on a leash and he is doing so well! Plus it helps him sleep through the ENTIRE night which is amazing.

barkley 6.jpg

Tuesday, 4/17 - 2 mile warm up @ 10:28 pace, 4x1 mile repeats @ 7:47, 7:47, 7:49 and 7:48, and 1 puppy mile cool down at 12:00 pace.

Sa: 6 miles @ EB (9:31)
Su: 6 miles @ EA (10:12)
M: 5 miles @ EB (9:31)
Tu: 6 miles @ EA (10:12)

Puppy update: Barkley is now 3 months old and weighs 21 pounds. Here is a picture from 2 months to 3 months. :love:
barkley 10.jpg

Attachments

• barkley 9.jpg
    barkley 9.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 0
Geez. I feel like the owner should get pepper-sprayed instead of the dogs. I mean, obviously I would protect myself first, too, but like in the scheme of things, it's the dumb owner's fault their dogs are outside and able to chase someone down. Glad you were okay!!

YES! I don't want the poor little things to get run over because they are chasing me. One of them greeted me again during last night's run...guess the owners really don't care.

Jeez louise that dog story is crazy. So glad you're ok. You've also had a couple of great training weeks since I last checked in, you're going to crush your race!

On a separate note, I'm glad you wrote about motivation waning towards the end of a training plan. I still have a month to go until my race but I've skipped several EA (Monday AM for me) run recently, and in all but maybe one case, I totally made excuses for something I could have found a way to do. I'm setting a goal to get every run in from now until the end of the plan unless I'm legit injured or feel that I'm risking injury. Anyways, all of that to say, thanks for writing about your own motivation (or lack thereof sometimes)... I can relate.

Thank you, I hope so!

YES! Mine always seems to happen with about 3 to 4 weeks remaining in the plan. I have been trying to do the same thing, even if I don't get the exact amount of planned mileage. My Monday EA was supposed to be 6 miles, but I only had time for 4 (due to excuses really, I could have gotten it done). I felt accomplished just getting 4 done though, which is better than none. Glad to know that I am not alone and we can support each other through the excuse making time!

Barkley!

Also, congrats on a good training week (and great job getting through 5 miles on Thursday despite the leash incident and other factors working against you!). But mostly ... Barkley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter