Venture outside your comfort zone: the rewards are worth it! KSellers88’s Journal (Comments Welcome)

For PTRR, transportation is Marta. Personally I would stay in midtown near piedmont park, the finish, and then you only have to Marta to the start. It might be pricey. I think @Disney at Heart does this. If you are in an early corral and I expect you would be, you have to be on Marta early. If you stay in midtown, I can help you to the start, by that I mean meet you at your hotel and go with you. Again, I have no idea on the price for the hotels on July 3, but I can help out with places to stay. Take a look and see if there is availability.

For PTRR, transportation is Marta. Personally I would stay in midtown near piedmont park, the finish, and then you only have to Marta to the start. It might be pricey. I think @Disney at Heart does this. If you are in an early corral and I expect you would be, you have to be on Marta early. If you stay in midtown, I can help you to the start, by that I mean meet you at your hotel and go with you. Again, I have no idea on the price for the hotels on July 3, but I can help out with places to stay. Take a look and see if there is availability.

That is what I thought, I'm used to walking straight to the start from my hotel for Publix and HOTlanta but assumed it was different looking at the map. Let me look around and see what prices are like!

I'm also interested in the 10 miler. October is way better than June or July. It looks like it's about 4000 runners, so much less of a zoo than PRR.

Agreed, it would be much easier to find everyone I think than in a mass of 60,000+ people.

We actually stay in Buckhead for PRR and walk down to the start and then take MARTA back to the Buckhead station. MARTA is pretty easy because most of 60,000 runners are on it, so it's not so sketchy. For us, the worst part of riding back to the hotel afterward is the sweaty runner smell! LOL When DH started running Peachtree and our boys were young (25-30? years ago), we always stayed two nights and went to the party and fireworks at Lenox Square Mall on July 4. I think the fireworks now are now only at Centennial Park. Also, if you are not in a rush to leave Piedmont Park, I always meet DH at The Tavern (because he is faster and in an earlier "wave" than I am), but it is extremely crowed and hard to find people. He has time to have a beer or two before I get there!
I really like the Atlanta 10 miler. It runs from Atlantic station, up/down Peachtree Street, through Botanical Gardens/Piedmont park area and back into Atlantic Station. Some group "adopts" each mile, and has some theme with a "chear squad" in costumes/ with music or signs/ high fiving/ etc. It's hilly because it's in Atlanta, but for the last two years, we ran DOWN cardiac hill instead of up it like PTRR does, so don't look at maps from more than 2 years ago. And it's longer than 10k so it's challenging enough to make the travel worth it, but not a half, so, well, not too taxing. The smaller crowd makes a big difference too. I think it was between 45-49* this October, so we stayed in the lobby of the hotel until just before start time, we got in our wave (C?) and I said something about time for the national anthem, but discovered we had already missed it! Anyway, there was only about 5-10 minutes of waiting before we started. Lots of people were waiting in the lobby -- and there is a Starbucks right there! So if you drive in that morning and park in the parking deck, you can still go in to get your coffee. Shirts are Mizuno and are usually pretty nice.

So I think let’s attempt a dis run for the 10 miler. Kristin let me know if you want to do PTRR, I can get you in but yes it is a bit of a zoo. I wanted to run the 10 miler but this past year it was right after Chicago.

We actually stay in Buckhead for PRR and walk down to the start and then take MARTA back to the Buckhead station. MARTA is pretty easy because most of 60,000 runners are on it, so it's not so sketchy. For us, the worst part of riding back to the hotel afterward is the sweaty runner smell! LOL When DH started running Peachtree and our boys were young (25-30? years ago), we always stayed two nights and went to the party and fireworks at Lenox Square Mall on July 4. I think the fireworks now are now only at Centennial Park. Also, if you are not in a rush to leave Piedmont Park, I always meet DH at The Tavern (because he is faster and in an earlier "wave" than I am), but it is extremely crowed and hard to find people. He has time to have a beer or two before I get there!
I really like the Atlanta 10 miler. It runs from Atlantic station, up/down Peachtree Street, through Botanical Gardens/Piedmont park area and back into Atlantic Station. Some group "adopts" each mile, and has some theme with a "chear squad" in costumes/ with music or signs/ high fiving/ etc. It's hilly because it's in Atlanta, but for the last two years, we ran DOWN cardiac hill instead of up it like PTRR does, so don't look at maps from more than 2 years ago. And it's longer than 10k so it's challenging enough to make the travel worth it, but not a half, so, well, not too taxing. The smaller crowd makes a big difference too. I think it was between 45-49* this October, so we stayed in the lobby of the hotel until just before start time, we got in our wave (C?) and I said something about time for the national anthem, but discovered we had already missed it! Anyway, there was only about 5-10 minutes of waiting before we started. Lots of people were waiting in the lobby -- and there is a Starbucks right there! So if you drive in that morning and park in the parking deck, you can still go in to get your coffee. Shirts are Mizuno and are usually pretty nice.

Thank you! Where do you normally stay for the 10 miler? It seems like that one would be easier for a meetup for sure and I love the idea of groups adopting each mile. Plus the weather will be much, much more manageable.

So I think let’s attempt a dis run for the 10 miler. Kristin let me know if you want to do PTRR, I can get you in but yes it is a bit of a zoo. I wanted to run the 10 miler but this past year it was right after Chicago.

Sounds like a plan, I'll see if I can convince my husband or mom to tag along for a trip and let you know! Thanks so much!

Thank you! Where do you normally stay for the 10 miler? It seems like that one would be easier for a meetup for sure and I love the idea of groups adopting each mile. Plus the weather will be much, much more manageable.

Sounds like a plan, I'll see if I can convince my husband or mom to tag along for a trip and let you know! Thanks so much!
We stay at the Twelve Hotel. It’s a “residence” hotel with some people living in part of it and the rest of the rooms used as a hotel. They usually have it listed that you have to stay certain number of nights, but if you keep checking, they remove that requirement as it gets closer to the race, and we have always gotten it for one night. It is a little pricey, like a Disney moderate maybe, but it is a two room, living room/bedroom deal or a two bedroom. I don’t know about other hotels in the area, because DH always handles it!

Catching up on this! I am doing all the ones mentioned except for Halloween Half (doing MCM again). I'd be up for a meetup at any of these.

@garneska which 50K are you doing? Cloudland Canyon? I'm doing that one.

See ya later, 2018!! Yearly Recap and Recap of all 12 Half Marathons!

I figured I would be like the cool kids and do a little recap of the year. Overall this was a great year. It still left me chasing that sub-4 marathon goal, but I know I will get there one day. I ended the year with one more mile than I ran in 2017. I also realized I'm on a streak of 24 months of over 100 miles so I hope I can keep that going!

2018 Running Totals:
1823 Miles
155 Average HR
9:47 Average Pace

2018 9.jpg
26 new medals!
12 half marathons (PR of 1:48 in April)
2 full marathons (PR of 4:07 in December)
4 10Ks
4 5Ks
2 RunDisney Challenges
1 one miler
1 Run Across Georgia

January/February:

• WDW Marathon: Finished in 4:37 but the last 8 miles were a Runner's Knee shuffle to the finish line.
  • Half #1: Callaway Gardens Half: 2:04 finish. This race was so hilly and I remembered why I said I would never run it again after I finished in 2017.
  • Princess Weekend: I ran the Fairy Tale Challenge for the second year and enjoyed a weeklong trip staying at Bay Lake Tower with my mom.
  • Half #2: Princess Half: 2:06 finish with all character stops.
2018 10.jpg
March/April:
  • Half #3: Publix Atlanta Half: 1:59 finish in a hilly but thankfully not hot or humid Atlanta.
  • Half #4: RNR Nashville: 1:48 finish (PR!). I loved this race and would absolutely do it again, RNR does such a good job organizing their events!
2018 2.jpg

May:

• Half #5: Auburn Running Festival: 2:01 finish for my third time running this half. It was my first half ever back in 2016!
  • Run Across Georgia: Ran 206 miles from Savannah, GA to Columbus, GA on a relay team of 12 runners raising money for House of Heroes (our team raised over $10k!).
2018 1.jpg

June/July/August/October:

• Half #6: HOTlanta Half: 2:01 finish...I've never been so happy to have a Sprite, so hot and humid.
  • Half #7: Burn Your Half Off: 2:18 finish...this is my slowest half ever even including character stops at Disney races. I had a sinus infection, was on antibiotics and probably should not have been running.
  • Half #8: Area 13.1: 2:09 finish in what was supposed to be a goal race. It was just way too hot in Georgia in August to even be trying for a PR.
  • Half #9: 30A Half: 1:59 finish in my own personal race because this run was cancelled due to Hurricane Michael. I still ran the same course on the same day as the scheduled run, just with no real support or any other runners.
2018 3.jpg

November:
November included three half marathons because I couldn't find one in September nearby and I didn't think I'd be up to running a half so soon after my scheduled marathon in December.

• Wine and Dine Weekend: I ran the Two Course Challenge for our fifth and final trip to WDW for 2018. My mom and I definitely took advantage of our Annual Passes and spent a total of 25 days at the parks this year.
  • Half #10: Wine and Dine Half: 2:03 finish with all character stops.
  • Half #11: Soldier Half: 1:58 finish and my third time running this race as well. This is another one I will continue to do yearly, God willing!
  • Half #12: Virtual Cocoa Beach Half: 1:54 finish during one of my training runs for my marathon. I didn't want to do a virtual run for one of my twelve half marathons, but this one required you to send in proof of time so it felt more legit!
2018 5.jpg
December:

• Kiawah Island Marathon: 4:07 finish and a twenty minute PR. To be honest, this race still haunts me because I know I had that sub-4 in me. I've been listening to some books about mental strength lately because that was my downfall during Kiawah. I still had a great time and would definitely do it again, but probably only the half.
2018 4.jpg

Here are all 12 of the half medals for 2018, I cannot thank you all enough for your support and encouragement this year, especially the best coach ever @DopeyBadger. There is no way those PRs would be listed without his help!

2018 7.jpg
2018 7.jpg 2018 8.jpg

Such an amazing year for you!!! Can't wait to see what 2019 brings! You are an inspiration!

P.S. There is still time to last minute decide to come to Marathon weekend. ;)

I know that sub-4 didn't happen in 2018. But really and truly take a step back and see the immense number of accomplishments that 2018 encapsulated. It was a tremendous year. Honestly the sheer volume of races and doing them all so well is truly impressive. Kudos!

Thanks, coach! You are so right and I never looked at it that way so I appreciate the perspective.

Ah-mAy-Zing!!! You should be so proud! What an awesome year of running!

Thank you so much! Your encouragement has seriously been the best!

What a year!!! I am SO impressed and proud!! What a fun year recap with all of the pictures... you are the cutest!

Thank you! I cannot wait to see your cute pictures from the marathon NEXT weekend!

Amazing year!!! May 2019 be just as awesome, if not better!

Thanks, I hope so! So excited you started a journal!!

Rockin’ year!

Thank you! Good luck next weekend and I am glad your hip is improving!!

Such an amazing year for you!!! Can't wait to see what 2019 brings! You are an inspiration!

P.S. There is still time to last minute decide to come to Marathon weekend. ;)

LOL, thank you! I am now 99.99999% sure Marathon Weekend is not happening, but that's okay because I will get to track y'all and cheer you on! Thanks for following along on this crazy journey!

Fantastic year and I loved your recap!!

And ditto to @jennamfeo :D

Y'all are bad influences! LOL. The hotels and all are just too much to justify, I really hope to meet you at an upcoming race though and hope y'all have the best time! Thank you!!

Amazing year. I have seriously medal envy.

LOL, I am all about the bling! Thank you so much!

Red Nose Half Marathon Race Recap

Still here and running and enjoying the beautiful weather we are having after rain for 8 straight days. The Red Nose half is a local race that is completely free and still timed and official. This is the second time I have done this race, missing last year's due to the WDW Marathon. They had to reroute the course due to some local flooding of the Chattahoochee River. The course was supposed to run along the sidewalk where these people are kayaking, LOL.

red nose 4.jpg

I talked to coach beforehand and was instructed to run this between EB (9:31) and EA (10:12) pace and I mostly listened. This is the longest run I have done since my marathon on December 8th and my legs actually felt decent. Mile splits were: 9:20, 9:29, 9:39, 9:28, 9:40, 9:22, 9:27, 9:13, 9:36, 9:11, 9:25, 9:27 and 9:18. Finish time was 2:03:10. I liked the new course much better than the original because it is on my normal running route that is much flatter than the Riverwalk.

red nose 1.jpg
red nose.jpg
red nose 3.jpg

The medal for this race is always super cute, and Barkley liked it too! My left knee has been bothering me a bit since Saturday unfortunately so I am stretching, icing and foam rolling like a mad woman. I've always had knee issues (broken patella and torn MCL) so I am hoping to fight off any injuries.

I hope everyone who is running the races this weekend has a great time. I will admit I have been a little weepy over missing the runs, but I know it is the smartest decision not to go. I will live vicariously through everyone running and just focus on the plans I have for the year instead (more on that later)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter