Vero Beach for Beach Vacation

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
DH wants to take a break from Disney (gasp) for our next trip and stay at the ocean. How is Vero Beach for a beach vacation? Is there enough to do close by? Do you fly in to MCO and would we have to rent a car or is there any transportation to VB from the airport? Thank you for any help!

DH wants to take a break from Disney (gasp) for our next trip and stay at the ocean. How is Vero Beach for a beach vacation? Is there enough to do close by? Do you fly in to MCO and would we have to rent a car or is there any transportation to VB from the airport? Thank you for any help!
We did a short three night trip several years ago in early June. It was nice, but we weren't anywhere near a beach at the time. Now we live on the Gulf Coast (SW FL) and wouldn't bother with Vero Beach. We like the flatter expansive beach of the Gulf Coast (VB is a rather shallow beach with not much expanse for walking into the water - the dropoff comes more quickly there, too). The water is cooler than the Gulf Coast. We drove and it was about 90 min to two hours from Orlando. You'd probably want to rent a car if you flew to get around. The DVC resort is kind of isolated (at least it was years ago, it may have changed in recent years). You can rent chairs and umbrellas at the beach so you can just lie out and relax. We stayed in an ocean view Inn room and it worked out great for our family of three. Two queen beds, no sleeper sofa. If you don't get to the ocean much, you'll probably enjoy it. We thought it was nice for the three nights we were there years ago.

We did a short three night trip several years ago in early June. It was nice, but we weren't anywhere near a beach at the time. Now we live on the Gulf Coast (SW FL) and wouldn't bother with Vero Beach. We like the flatter expansive beach of the Gulf Coast (VB is a rather shallow beach with not much expanse for walking into the water - the dropoff comes more quickly there, too). The water is cooler than the Gulf Coast. We drove and it was about 90 min to two hours from Orlando. You'd probably want to rent a car if you flew to get around. The DVC resort is kind of isolated (at least it was years ago, it may have changed in recent years). You can rent chairs and umbrellas at the beach so you can just lie out and relax. We stayed in an ocean view Inn room and it worked out great for our family of three. Two queen beds, no sleeper sofa. If you don't get to the ocean much, you'll probably enjoy it. We thought it was nice for the three nights we were there years ago.
Is there somewhere on the Gulf Coast you would recommend vacationing to instead? Our daughter will be 6 at the time. Thank you!

Is there somewhere on the Gulf Coast you would recommend vacationing to instead? Our daughter will be 6 at the time. Thank you!
I live on Marco Island which I think has the best beach of all. But it's right where I75 turns east to go to Miami, so you are at the end of SW Florida (about three and a half hours from Orlando). Lots of people will recommend Clearwater (near Tampa) or even Destin, Pensacola, Panama City Beach (which are all along I10 in the panhandle of FL).

Had a wonderful stay at Vero after WDW last August. Loved everything about the resort. We also have a place on Longboat Key on the gulf coast so can compare. We are so used to the gulf that the strength of the waves was really different from what we are used to. So while the resort was great, and we will definitely return, we much prefer the calmer, warmer waters of the Gulf of Mexico for a beach vacation. Just our two cents.

We did Disney's Hilton Head (okay, it's not Vero) but it was awesome! I'd love to go back! It was the most relaxing vacation and kids had plenty to do. Just adding that in there for good measure :)

We did Disney's Hilton Head (okay, it's not Vero) but it was awesome! I'd love to go back! It was the most relaxing vacation and kids had plenty to do. Just adding that in there for good measure :)
Would HH be ok in February or April?

We did HH in August, so I'm not a good judge on February or April. Naturally April is warmer for ocean swim or play. You just have to watch out for spring breakers I would think.

We have enjoyed vacations at VB, but have also stayed on the Gulf coast at St. Pete Beach. Broad white sand and calm shallow water. We stayed once on Clearwater Beach, but prefer St. Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach.

I will elaborate. Midnight Cove is a condo complex that is "bay to beach", and the major advantage to it is the fact they have a Beach Concierge that comes at no cost. They set up all the beach chairs and umbrellas, and are actually employees of a local rental company so they can set you up with everything from paddleboards to parasailing to PWC and boat rentals. You don't have to carry ANYTHING but drinks and towels to beach. And the beach is amazing.
Two heated pools, reserved parking, and beach to bay. If you can get a unit overlooking the bay, you can watch the drawbridge and watch boats go up and down the ICW all day...very awesome.

All that said, we are looking very much forward to our first Vero Beach Visit this summer.

One of the most memorable vacations my family ever took when I was growing up was to Pensacola Beach. I was about 5, sister 4 and brother 3, and we still talk about it decades later.

To me, the Florida Gulf Coast (Pensacola, Panama Beach, Clearwater, etc.) is perfect for young kids like your daughter - beautiful beaches sloping gently into the sea, gentle waves - and I'd definitely recommend it over VB (which is fine for older kids or adults).

We have been to Vero about 3 times. We usually do it as a wind down from the parks. Last May, we were at Vero after a 3 night stay in Ft.Lauderdale, skipped the parks all together. We usually do Vero for 3 or 4 nights at most, very quiet to relax. It is a lovely resort. Only negative for us is that the restaurants are all a "little further" away than say restaurants at Hilton Head. We LOVE both resorts, but if I had to pick between HH and Vero, I would probably pick HH for the great selection of restaurants, proximity. Don't think that you will be disappointed in either HH or Vero.:goodvibes As for the west coast, we enjoy the Sarasota area, Long Boat Key, Siesta Key, so beautiful, beaches are gorgeous, great for young children, water is much calmer than east coast of Florida. We travel in May(after college ends for youngest DS), so we don't travel in the more crowded summer months. We traveled to HH right before Memorial Day weekend one year which still was not crazy crowded. We were told that right after Memorial Day, HH really starts "jumping" as many southern schools are dismissing. Restaurants are apparently very difficult to get into in the summer, reservations are definitely needed. We rented bikes at both Vero and HH, prefer HH for bike riding.
LOVE riding bikes in HH to the beach house, great exercise and what a pretty bike ride! Yes, we fly in and out of Orlando, no transportation provided by Vero we rent a car. About an hour and a half car ride I think:thumbsup2:wave2:

We have been to Vero about 3 times. We usually do it as a wind down from the parks. Last May, we were at Vero after a 3 night stay in Ft.Lauderdale, skipped the parks all together. We usually do Vero for 3 or 4 nights at most, very quiet to relax. It is a lovely resort. Only negative for us is that the restaurants are all a "little further" away than say restaurants at Hilton Head. We LOVE both resorts, but if I had to pick between HH and Vero, I would probably pick HH for the great selection of restaurants, proximity. Don't think that you will be disappointed in either HH or Vero.:goodvibes As for the west coast, we enjoy the Sarasota area, Long Boat Key, Siesta Key, so beautiful, beaches are gorgeous, great for young children, water is much calmer than east coast of Florida. We travel in May(after college ends for youngest DS), so we don't travel in the more crowded summer months. We traveled to HH right before Memorial Day weekend one year which still was not crazy crowded. We were told that right after Memorial Day, HH really starts "jumping" as many southern schools are dismissing. Restaurants are apparently very difficult to get into in the summer, reservations are definitely needed. We rented bikes at both Vero and HH, prefer HH for bike riding.
LOVE riding bikes in HH to the beach house, great exercise and what a pretty bike ride! Yes, we fly in and out of Orlando, no transportation provided by Vero we rent a car. About an hour and a half car ride I think:thumbsup2:wave2:
HH sounds really nice. What do you think their crowd levels would be like next April 2019 (it would unfortunately be the week of Easter, I think, April 21st)? Thank you!

Gulf coast beaches do not appeal to me. It’s the waves! Vero Beach is our choice for a FL beach vacation.
I like waves too, so scenic. I will ask DH what he prefers. We go to Ogunquit Maine in the summer for the tidal pools for DD. What do you think the crowds would be like April 2019 (week of 21st, yikes, Easter). I think this is when school break will be. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter