Vero Beach 'mystery' fish

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
DH and I spent a wonderful few days at VB last month and DH enjoyed some fishing in the lake there. We saw a huge fish break the surface of the water a few times one evening, but have no idea what kind of fish it is (he didn't catch it for a closer look! ;) ).

Does anyone out there know?

If it was a large silver fish rolling on its side or just breaking the water with its dorsal fin, it was probably a Tarpon.

I had one jump out of the water suddenly as I was walking early one morning.

....Scared the MESS out of me! :)

Mullet are probably the most common lake jumping fish. but they don't get huge. Tarpon get huge but I don't know how common they are around there.

Your question makes me think again why are there no nature/field guides at the DVC resorts like Vero and HH? They're both surrounded by plenty of nature, and I know we would be interested in having books available to look up local plants, birds, fish, shells, etc. We wrote to DVC several years ago, but we still haven't seen them available. It would be such a small investment, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts