very tall almost 3 year old

dwight16

DIS Veteran
hello everyone i have a almost 3 year old son by the time our next trip is to Disney in December. (birthday early Feb) he is in the 99% for height almost 41 inches and i fear by the time we go away he will be closer to 42 inches. last time we were there in May a few times the ticket people asked for his ticket and we were like he is 25 months old! i really dont want to have any issues nor do i really want to bring a birth certificate. i am just wondering what people experiences have been with kids close to the 3 years old.

My 3 year old was also very tall for his age. I brought a copy of his birth certificate and kept it in my pocket. I didn’t need it at rides really as they believed me when I said he was under 3. But I did get questioned once upon entry to the park since he had no park ticket. I think having a copy of the birth certificate is worth it in case it comes up a few times.

They won’t give you any issues. We took our children at that age and they were tall for their age, no issues.

My son turned 3 as we were there; he is fairly tall but we never got questioned by anyone. I did take a pic of his birth certificate just in case but never needed it.

Same issue with our oldest daughter and we got questioned a few times but only once at the gate did they give us a “hard time”.

I’ve seen people suggest having a picture on your phone of the BC if you’re concerned but ultimately they shouldn’t bother you too much once they ask and you answer “he’s two”.

It was such a fun time getting to ride “big kid rides” while she was free to go!

I would have a pic of his birth certificate on your phone just in case, and so you don't have to worry. But it's very unlikely you will need it. You may be questioned occasionally about his age, but usually just telling the CM that he is 2 will suffice. (And make sure, if possible, that he is capable of answering that question correctly as well, because they often ask the kid, not the parent.) But if a CM was to act skeptical or give you a hard time at all, just be prepared to show the pic, and then you won't have to stress about it.

My daughter (who is now 5) is tall for her age. She has been able to ride the 40" attractions since she was 2 1/2. We took her to WDW about a month before her 3rd birthday and she was 42". I didn't have any problems at the ticket gate or with the FP+ lines since she didn't have a ticket, except for one CM that rolled their eyes like I was lying. Seriously look at her dad, he is 6'5" and I'm not short either... I did have a copy of her birth certificate just in case but it was never a big issue.

We had the opposite problem. We took our 3 1/2 year old to a MVMCP in 2013. He's shorter than average (usually 30-40% for height). When we asked for a MVMCP wristband for him, the CM at the gate said, "My goodness, he's so tiny! Is he really three??"

I also have a tall 2 year old. He is not even 2 and a half and is 40 inches tall. Good idea about having a picture of the BC. We will be there in December.

Will they give us an issue with ride swap since he is over the limit for some rides? I really don't anticipate taking him on 7DMT!

We have had the same issues with DD. This past February trip and again the following month in March, and again in July we were asked several times. One CM even asked for me to take her out of the stroller. She was 20 months on the last trip and 37 inches. In November we will be back to Disney, I am taking a picture of her Birth Certificate and her passport and keeping on my phone just in case. It got to the point on the last trip I wanted to hang a sign around DD neck saying ' I'm still only 1 !'. Good luck and I hope you all enjoy your trip!

I would just take a pic of the birth certificate on my phone just in case, but I think you'll be fine.

I also have a tall 2 year old. He is not even 2 and a half and is 40 inches tall. Good idea about having a picture of the BC. We will be there in December.

Will they give us an issue with ride swap since he is over the limit for some rides? I really don't anticipate taking him on 7DMT!

Generally, the way rider swap works with someone who is tall enough but too scared/doesn't wish to ride is they do an internal swap. Everyone enters the line together (which means if using FP, everyone needs one) and when you get to the loading area, the swap is performed there. One adult waits with the kid while the other adult rides. Then the waiting adult rides.

In our experience if they're tall enough they'll make you all go through the line together and then 1 person will wait at the loading/disembarkment area while the others ride and then that parent will get to ride. It is much less convenient then regular baby swap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter