Very Un-Magical Express

Busses make multiple stops all the time and you have no idea what order- this is known as people always say I’m at XYZ resort, what other resorts will I be on a bus with and what is drop off order. So how was your ME trip unmagical because you shared a bus with other resorts and were the last to be dropped off? Makes no sense really since it’s normal procedure and someone has to be last. Disney can’t have one resort per bus-

On the guests not knowing what is going on- agents standing far away with clipboards. All a guest needs to do is ask a question on when eve bus will be there, what is going on, etc.
I’ve only ever had one time where we didn’t stop at multiple resorts and that was a POP trip and the bus was just full with us. Usually it would go AOA,POP and CBR. Just got back and waited about 40 minutes for a bus. The bus driver sounded like an auctioneer when he was reading off the resorts. I think it was a total of 5 or 6.

I doubt that Disney will start charging for DME. DME is a critical piece of their strategy to capture guests onsite and keep them onsite for everything -- lodging, parks, dining, swimming, shopping, partying, etc.

The last thing they want is for guests to have options.

I doubt that Disney will start charging for DME. DME is a critical piece of their strategy to capture guests onsite and keep them onsite for everything -- lodging, parks, dining, swimming, shopping, partying, etc.

The last thing they want is for guests to have options.
An excellent point. Charging to park a car at the resorts seems to be part of that plan; discourage people from having the option to leave the property.

An excellent point. Charging to park a car at the resorts seems to be part of that plan; discourage people from having the option to leave the property.
Maybe. Or parking charges could be another "because we can" fee...who knows?

The bottom line is controlling costs. The magical express costs money and soon the Disney company will charge for it. The cost will be anywhere between $30-$50 one way. That cost doesn't include baggage handling.
It's not easy to say this but look at the changes at the resorts that use to be free.
In the case of WDW, profit and costs are first and guest satisfaction is somewhere below that. At the end of the day, the company has to please shareholders and that's done by producing a profit. Since fewer people will be traveling this year (not even counting the DVC, Cruise Line, movie industry hit), the best way to achieve profit is through cost reduction and efficiency gains. So I definitely agree with you that most of their decisions are driven by cost, with COVID being the cause of them having to cut costs. I don't think COVID safety is why they stopped with the luggage handling.

I don't agree that charging for DME is forthcoming though. DME is operated by a different vendor than the luggage handling (Mears), and I think they've had an ongoing contract for quite a while. Plus, charging for DME will likely drive some people to off-site lodging, which will hurt the resorts division's bottom line. They really can't afford that with so many resorts closed currently. The loss from the resorts division will likely exceed any profit earned from DME charges. I am sure they've modeled this and decided its not the best choice, at least not at this point.

In the case of WDW, profit and costs are first and guest satisfaction is somewhere below that. At the end of the day, the company has to please shareholders and that's done by producing a profit. Since fewer people will be traveling this year (not even counting the DVC, Cruise Line, movie industry hit), the best way to achieve profit is through cost reduction and efficiency gains. So I definitely agree with you that most of their decisions are driven by cost, with COVID being the cause of them having to cut costs. I don't think COVID safety is why they stopped with the luggage handling.

I don't agree that charging for DME is forthcoming though. DME is operated by a different vendor than the luggage handling (Mears), and I think they've had an ongoing contract for quite a while. Plus, charging for DME will likely drive some people to off-site lodging, which will hurt the resorts division's bottom line. They really can't afford that with so many resorts closed currently. The loss from the resorts division will likely exceed any profit earned from DME charges. I am sure they've modeled this and decided its not the best choice, at least not at this point.
Well said. Lots we agree on. I like your points thou. So many changes going on and many more to come.
All trips to Florida put on hold thru 2021. Will look again on 2022.

Sorry to hear this...please report on your experience at Resort / parks when you arrive. I just spent a night in Atlantic City and it was absolutely insane.

Hi. My dh and son were thinking of going to AC when we are in LBI. We know the restrictions but was it even worse than what we are told.

Thanks.

Before Magic Express there was (and still is Mears Transportation). In the 70s and 80s, you did use, Mears Transportation (a voucher system) to get from airport to resort. I remember paying $12 per person for this. Will Disney charge for transportation they already have.

Before Magic Express there was (and still is Mears Transportation). In the 70s and 80s, you did use, Mears Transportation (a voucher system) to get from airport to resort. I remember paying $12 per person for this. Will Disney charge for transportation they already have.
And 90s. Magical Express was introduced in May 2005.

Yes I remember riding Mears's regular shuttle. They always had stops on "International Drive" I forget whether near Sea World or near Universal Studios or both. Now, there were four pickup points, two on the A side and two on the B side.

I forget how far in advance of my flight home I had to reserve Mears. With six or more resorts I find it hard to believe that 3 hours in advance would be enough.

I also forget how on the airport returns they managed all of the permutations of which resort(s) to pick up at and which airport drop off point. Back then I would have been one of the passengers who would want to get off at the first airport stop.

A dilemma for paid Magical Express, would it make sense to have a maximum cost per family?

Maybe. Or parking charges could be another "because we can" fee...who knows?
Yep, and it is a reason I will most likely not stay on-property in the future.

Short answer, I agree with you.

While I can kind of see the MK and EPCOT Center resorts charging the fee, but for AK, the moderates, and the values is a bit excessive.

Let's do the math.

Someone who flies in, gets free bus transfers from the airport and before corvid free luggage transfer.

We both pay the same room rate, even though I drove myself to the hotel. Overall I am paying more money and getting less service.

In essence I am subsidizing the people that did not drive to the hotel.

They need to suspend parking fees to help promote social distancing. If I didn’t have parking fees I would rent a car in a heart beat to avoid magical express and the bus and Uber

Disney please stop the parking fees to help social distancing

If Disney starts charging for ME then it would be better off taking Uber. Faster service for the money.
If I remember correctly, part of Disney's contract with the airport that allows for Magical Express states that they can never charge for the service.

Hey folks just heard two reports one from last week one from today that fights broke out both weeks at the Poly. Since the park buses are only taking 15 people at a time there were so many people in line to get on the Epcot bus and there is no cue line to stand in so people were fighting over who go to the bus stop first. The monorail is not running for Epcot not until they start offering park hopping so everyone had to take the bus.

Hey folks just heard two reports one from last week one from today that fights broke out both weeks at the Poly. Since the park buses are only taking 15 people at a time there were so many people in line to get on the Epcot bus and there is no cue line to stand in so people were fighting over who go to the bus stop first. The monorail is not running for Epcot not until they start offering park hopping so everyone had to take the bus.
A) What does this have to do with DME?
B) Are they not running the boats from Poly?

For years I have been renting a car at airport while my DW & DD's take ME so we can take advantage of luggage service. We meet up at resort. Going home we use RAC and all take car back to MCO. Now with no luggage service either way and long lines for ME I think I'm just going to drop some extra dough on a bigger rental to accomodate all passengers and luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!