VGC Resale & New Disneyland DVC Tower

FinnFogg

Mouseketeer
As an all-in DVC’er on the West Coast that currently owns at Aulani and OKW, my goal has always been to own at VGC. We’ve been fortunate enough to stay at VGC a number of times booking at the 7 month mark, as we typically stay in 1 bedrooms, but I would still like to own there. With the announcement of the new DVC Tower at Disneyland Hotel, I was optimistic that some of the pressure would eventually be taken off the resale price (although that certainly does not seem to be the case to date). However, it’s also occurred to me that while I would prefer to own at VGC over the new DVC tower, if I were to buy resale VGC now, I would not be able to use those points at the new DVC tower when it opens (due to the restrictions put in place in Jan 2019). Whereas if I were to buy (direct) at the new DVC tower, I would have the flexibility to use those points at VGC (subject to 7 month availability).

Does anyone else think that being shut out of access to the new DVC tower at DIsneyland hotel (ie the ONLY other DVC option at DL) may (eventually) put downward pressure on the VGC resale price?

No. I expect the new DVC tower to be very nice, and plan to stay there in the future. But the Disneyland hotel isn't the Grand Californian. VGC will remain the premier property- just in the same way that opening very nice new rooms in CCV at Wilderness Lodge didn't put any downward pressure on resale prices or booking demand at VGF in Florida.

Buy where you want to stay. VGC is a very small property, and I anticipate very high demand for their rooms to continue indefinitely, particularly for the studios.

I think VGC will come down a little when DLHV opens, but I’m not sure it will be much, and it won’t be because of the restrictions; there’s a reason GCH fetches ~40% more per night than DLH: it’s a better location.

Also, Resale and direct don’t compete that much.

The interesting twist to me is that resale DLHV buyers won’t be able to use their points at VGC either. I think both resorts will remain pricey for resale compared to the WDW ones but VGC will always be moreso.

Yeah; I anticipate VGC resale to drive what DLHV would bet set. with resale DLHV lower than VGC points....assuming DLHV will be like Riviera format.

As an all-in DVC’er on the West Coast that currently owns at Aulani and OKW, my goal has always been to own at VGC. We’ve been fortunate enough to stay at VGC a number of times booking at the 7 month mark, as we typically stay in 1 bedrooms, but I would still like to own there. With the announcement of the new DVC Tower at Disneyland Hotel, I was optimistic that some of the pressure would eventually be taken off the resale price (although that certainly does not seem to be the case to date). However, it’s also occurred to me that while I would prefer to own at VGC over the new DVC tower, if I were to buy resale VGC now, I would not be able to use those points at the new DVC tower when it opens (due to the restrictions put in place in Jan 2019). Whereas if I were to buy (direct) at the new DVC tower, I would have the flexibility to use those points at VGC (subject to 7 month availability).

Does anyone else think that being shut out of access to the new DVC tower at DIsneyland hotel (ie the ONLY other DVC option at DL) may (eventually) put downward pressure on the VGC resale price?
I suppose it's possible, but as an owner at the VGC I honestly would probably prefer to stay at the VGC over the new DVC DL property. I like the DL hotel, but much prefer to stay at the GCH. So, it's possible that buyers could just prefer the VGC property over the other and it won't make a difference. Interesting question -- I guess we'll have to wait and see where it all goes.

Last edited:
It’s going to be interesting to see the DLHV resale prices. I’m sure it’s going to be pretty popular on the resale market even with the restrictions.

Clearly, the solution here is to buy points at both VGC and DLT.

Actually, what status do your Aulani and OKW points have? Are they pre-Jan 2019 resale or direct? If you can use those points at DLT, you could buy resale at VGC and still stay at DLT sometimes using your other points.

Clearly, the solution here is to buy points at both VGC and DLT.

Actually, what status do your Aulani and OKW points have? Are they pre-Jan 2019 resale or direct? If you can use those points at DLT, you could buy resale at VGC and still stay at DLT sometimes using your other points.

HAHAHA! That’s exactly where I was going with this. I was thinking I may have to buy both. 😊

Good point re my other points though. My OKW points and 2 of my 3 Aulani contracts are pre-Jan 2019, so I could use those for DLT. VGC is looking better and better.

VGC is currently the only game in town. Whatever premium that is worth will disappear and what remains will be the value of location and theme. I believe it will fall somewhat on the resale market but not catastrophically.

I have small contract in ROFR to tide me over until DLH is on sale as DLH is my happy place. I agree, buy both.

Last edited:
I don't expect prices to drop at VGC. There aren't many DVC rooms and the location being literally next to DCA makes it not comparable. The new tower at DLH may be fancier and perhaps they will have a DVC only pool area, etc, but if you are going for the sole purpose of visiting the parks, VGC is just way better all around.

I do agree with others, though, that if you can buy both, buying both would be an excellent choice.

I bought a stripped VGC at $180 in January. When Covid hit, I thought the prices would go down. They are going up! Average is around $215 now. I saw the one for $242 firm a couple of weeks ago. Looking at the broker website, they dropped it to $237 and shows offer accepted. It was only 100 points, loaded September.

I’m perfectly happy with my VGC, closer to the parks, park view if you are lucky. I might try to stay at the new one once to try it, using my BWV points. One thing I was disappointed with - Studio is only 4, same as VGC. If I take 2 friends, the pulldown would have been nice.

Last edited:
I am a VGC owner and do not plan on buying at DLHV. I think some of us loyal VGC lovers like me will never go somewhere else. Even my kids know that is my home lol. Before DVC was even there the lobby was our meeting spot if someone got lost or separated. My kids knew not to panic just go there and I would come find them 😊

Stand alone DVC has shown to be smaller lobbies, pools etc- BLT, RIV.The location of VGC is only rivaled by the hotel inside Disney Seas Japan. The lobby, the restaurants, the proximity to DTD and DCA, won’t be touched by the new resort. With so many hotels a tiny walk into DLR for low cost, I personally either stay at VGC or I stay off prop and save the money/points.

Don't write off DL as a step resort just yet. Disney has a lot of space where Rainforest/ESPN/AMC Movie theatre was at. Imagineers could come up with something that will blow our minds. Skyliner into DL, some monorail adjustment where crossing the street into security check point area. Something, don't count out Disney and their ability to continue to re-create and do the unthinkable. We may just have 10 reasons why staying at DL over GC is a winner...it's possible.

To the OP, well it sounds like you already have 4 contracts, so yeah adding a GC and DL is no problem for you to manage since you already got that down!

I think the prices will hold. VGC having a direct entry into DCA will always keep it in demand. My husband @UrsulaWantsYourSoul and I plan to purchase at the new Disneyland Hotel Tower and then a resale contract that will most likely be just used at VGC. If I had to choose one, I would go with the Disneyland Hotel Tower mainly because the points could be used at VGC at the 7 month mark. It is going to be interesting to see how VGC influence the price of the new proposed tower.

Yeah, I love a good balcony-coffee before family wakes up, wine in the evening-and that was really disappointing to see. I prefer the style of the DLH to GCV, though we own at the Grand and love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!