VGC Resale & New Disneyland DVC Tower

Thanks. I only ask because with the way things have been going lately between theme parks and the government in CA, I wouldn’t be surprised if they put this project on the back burner. This isn’t political commentary. It’s well documented that they aren’t in agreement on whether or not theme parks should be open right now.
This is all true. That being said this property is like building a mint. If they want an influx of cash this would be a Good way to do it and the parks don’t even need to be open. DLR will be open eventually.

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to pick it up again. I'm thinking about buying either GCV resale or waiting for the new DLT. The number of GCV contracts for sale have increased over the last couple of months with prices ranging from $285pp to an eye-popping $316pp. DLT is enticing for the 50 year contract, not to mention shiny and new... but I consider Disneyland Hotel more of a moderate rather than deluxe, and it does not have the same amenities nor the location of GCV which has about 39 years remaining.

If you were buying one of these resorts this year, which would you choose and why? Any updated guesses on what the starting price for DLT might be? Would you consider the new DLT as a moderate? Do you think the cash price for the Disneyland Hotel Adventure and Frontier buildings will impact the DVC price? Do folks think GCV prices will soften?

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to pick it up again. I'm thinking about buying either GCV resale or waiting for the new DLT. The number of GCV contracts for sale have increased over the last couple of months with prices ranging from $285pp to an eye-popping $316pp. DLT is enticing for the 50 year contract, not to mention shiny and new... but I consider Disneyland Hotel more of a moderate rather than deluxe, and it does not have the same amenities nor the location of GCV which has about 39 years remaining.

If you were buying one of these resorts this year, which would you choose and why? Any updated guesses on what the starting price for DLT might be? Would you consider the new DLT as a moderate? Do you think the cash price for the Disneyland Hotel Adventure and Frontier buildings will impact the DVC price? Do folks think GCV prices will soften?

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably wait for DLT, especially if you prefer to buy a direct membership as opposed to resale. I consider it as a deluxe resort. VGC is my home resort and the location can’t be beat but I would be really surprised if the prices for DLT start at $285/point. Resale prices for VGC might go down, it’s really hard to say one way or another.

VGC resale owner here... waiting to see what the pricing is like for DLT direct. We are a California based family of five with three young children, so DLT isn't as appealing to us with it's ratio of studios to larger rooms. VGC has more of a balance, and the location is fantastic. I hope the market softens a bit for VGC (would love more points there). However, with Disney raising the direct price it leaves lower priced resale contracts vulnerable to ROFR. People may tell you they never take VGC in ROFR, but we had one taken in late 2020 for $175/point...so rarely taken yes, but not never. We have some Saratoga direct points purchased when the minimum buy-in was lower..hoping to use those at DLT if availability permits. Time will tell.

To answer your questions;
I don't know about your travel preferences/family size/etc., but for my family I would still buy fVGC. I would negotiate big time. There are quite a few more contracts on the market than usual, that should work in your favor.

I think starting DLT prices are going to be high. Perhaps $250-280/point. Why else would they keep raising VGC, now up to $310/point? Making room for the newcomer is my guess. I think the points chart will be lower than VGC, but not by much.

Do I consider the Disneyland Hotel to be a moderate hotel? No. But it's also not on par with the Grand. To quote Pete Werner, DVC in general is "deluxe adjacent". I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't know enough about rack rate to make a proper DVC comparison. What I do know is the rack rate at VGC is astronomical, especially when compared to DVC pricing.

I think the market may soften a bit, but not to pre-pandemic prices. There is limited quantity at VGC, a better mix of unit sizes, and the location & deluxe category makes it unique to the resort. I am by no means a DVC veteran, but from what I have observed, the best time to buy DVC was yesterday/last week/last year.

Hope that helps!

If I was buying this year, I would buy Grand Cal because DLT won’t be available until at least another year if not longer.

DVC is expensive and a luxury purchase. If you are going to spend tens of thousands on a contract, you might as well buy the place you really love which sounds like Grand Cal. I suspect the resale price will soften once when DLT goes on sale, but who knows.DLT will increase Disneyland DVc supply so price should fall a little.

VGC resale owner here... waiting to see what the pricing is like for DLT direct. We are a California based family of five with three young children, so DLT isn't as appealing to us with it's ratio of studios to larger rooms. VGC has more of a balance, and the location is fantastic. I hope the market softens a bit for VGC (would love more points there). However, with Disney raising the direct price it leaves lower priced resale contracts vulnerable to ROFR. People may tell you they never take VGC in ROFR, but we had one taken in late 2020 for $175/point...so rarely taken yes, but not never. We have some Saratoga direct points purchased when the minimum buy-in was lower..hoping to use those at DLT if availability permits. Time will tell.

To answer your questions;
I don't know about your travel preferences/family size/etc., but for my family I would still buy fVGC. I would negotiate big time. There are quite a few more contracts on the market than usual, that should work in your favor.

I think starting DLT prices are going to be high. Perhaps $250-280/point. Why else would they keep raising VGC, now up to $310/point? Making room for the newcomer is my guess. I think the points chart will be lower than VGC, but not by much.

Do I consider the Disneyland Hotel to be a moderate hotel? No. But it's also not on par with the Grand. To quote Pete Werner, DVC in general is "deluxe adjacent". I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't know enough about rack rate to make a proper DVC comparison. What I do know is the rack rate at VGC is astronomical, especially when compared to DVC pricing.

I think the market may soften a bit, but not to pre-pandemic prices. There is limited quantity at VGC, a better mix of unit sizes, and the location & deluxe category makes it unique to the resort. I am by no means a DVC veteran, but from what I have observed, the best time to buy DVC was yesterday/last week/last year.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We have two little boys and live about 40 minutes away from DL with family also nearby. We would like to stay onsite for 2-3 weekends each year. When we stay just the 4 of us, a studio works but with family, we would need a 2 bed. We have enough direct points so no worries there. I’m leaning towards GCV… but the extra 11 years of DLT is appealing. I also love a good bargain so if GCV softens or if DLT’s incentives are good, then that could sway us too.

So *hopefully* they will have incentives (and hopefully additional ones for current owners) for DLT but who knows.
I love VGC location and amenities and variety of unit sizes/distribution. That said it is a little weird being such a small little wing. I am betting it will be fun to be around so many other DVC members at DLT which is all DVC.
If (and this is a big if) Disneyland Forward happens somewhat like they were envisioning it could make a currently sleepy end of the property into a new thriving part potentially with alternate entrances directly into the two parks - who knows!
I feel like if I want to stay in 1 and 2 bedrooms at DLT I'll probably have to own there. On the other hand if I want to stay in a studio at VGC I need to own there. So I guess the answer is both for us - tee hee.

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably wait for DLT, especially if you prefer to buy a direct membership as opposed to resale. I consider it as a deluxe resort. VGC is my home resort and the location can’t be beat but I would be really surprised if the prices for DLT start at $285/point. Resale prices for VGC might go down, it’s really hard to say one way or another.
I think you’re right, we should probably wait and see DLT’s price before making a decision. Fingers crossed, the supply of GCV contracts for sale continues to grow.
Do you think any GCV owners would sell in favor of buying DLT?

If I was buying this year, I would buy Grand Cal because DLT won’t be available until at least another year if not longer.

DVC is expensive and a luxury purchase. If you are going to spend tens of thousands on a contract, you might as well buy the place you really love which sounds like Grand Cal. I suspect the resale price will soften once when DLT goes on sale, but who knows.DLT will increase Disneyland DVc supply so price should fall a little.
I heard that sales are expected to start later this year? If that’s true then I think we may wait it out. I’m also stalking the site to try to pick up a cancellation or two at GCV for the time being. Will be interesting to see how sales go when DLT, VG2, RIV and AUL are all for sale at the same time.

So *hopefully* they will have incentives (and hopefully additional ones for current owners) for DLT but who knows.
I love VGC location and amenities and variety of unit sizes/distribution. That said it is a little weird being such a small little wing. I am betting it will be fun to be around so many other DVC members at DLT which is all DVC.
If (and this is a big if) Disneyland Forward happens somewhat like they were envisioning it could make a currently sleepy end of the property into a new thriving part potentially with alternate entrances directly into the two parks - who knows!
I feel like if I want to stay in 1 and 2 bedrooms at DLT I'll probably have to own there. On the other hand if I want to stay in a studio at VGC I need to own there. So I guess the answer is both for us - tee hee.
You’re probably right about needing to own DLT for 1-2 beds and needing to own GCV for studios. If I own at GCV, I don’t think I would try to switch out to DLT at 7 months but I might vice versa… so maybe I have my answer then? So much to consider!

Earlier in this thread I commented that I had a small VGC contract and was waiting on DLT. I LOVE Disneyland Hotel (hotel side) but I changed my mind and added on more VGC resale. This was my personal reasoning:

1. No balcony for studios. Love to sit with coffee or wine at the start and end of the day.

2. Majority of views will be over suburbia and power lines. I stayed in Frontier Tower as a bit of a test drive with the view that the DVC tower will have. The view was the biggest deal breaker. It dawned on me Disney are building their DVC Tower on the most undesirable land. Sure you can spend more points for a pool view but I hate to think how many more points.

3. VGC is more upscale with many more food and beverage options. Plus certain rooms have park views which trump DLT pool views (the best you can hope) any day.

I expect VGC will drop some in price but not significantly. It's a boutique DVC option due to its size. I picked up an extra 125 points for $285 and I'm okay with that. I can't lie, the current lack of goodwill Disney is showing to their guests put me off DLT direct purchase too.

4. Finally, the concept art of the room without any theming to Disneyland (unlike the hotel side) solidified I made the correct decision. Don't really buy mid-century sleeping beauty/Eyvind Earle mashup.

What would I buy? VGC. Do I consider DLT moderate? No but I consider it less deluxe than WDW offerings and probably on par with Gran Destino Tower (moderate+?). The cash price at DLH will have to affect the DLT price/point chart in some way.

I, too, love sitting on balconies so it’s unfortunate that the DLT studios won’t have any, especially considering the view (thanks for sharing your pics). Any ideas how much GCV might soften? Maybe $10 drop, maybe more? There are two contracts I’m eyeing right now…

I, too, love sitting on balconies so it’s unfortunate that the DLT studios won’t have any, especially considering the view (thanks for sharing your pics). Any ideas how much GCV might soften? Maybe $10 drop, maybe more? There are two contracts I’m eyeing right now…

It would be great to accurately predict but there's really no way of knowing. I don't see it dropping any more than $15 on average in the near future. Saying that, many people were expecting prices to drop across the board in 2020 and didn't buy. Prices shot to the moon. I'd grab what you're interested in now if you want VGC. There's some increased supply.

I think you’re right, we should probably wait and see DLT’s price before making a decision. Fingers crossed, the supply of GCV contracts for sale continues to grow.
Do you think any GCV owners would sell in favor of buying DLT?

I don't think so. I know that personally, I wouldn't sell my VGC points. The opposite, I'm hoping that resale prices for VGC prices will decrease so I can buy more points via resale, lol. What the other poster said about ROFR is correct, too. We bought a few years ago and I had been on the VGC wait list with Disney for almost 2 years (!!). I finally gave up hope and decided to buy resale. I found a contract and we were going to go through the resale BUT on the 9th or 10th day of the contract, the Disney rep called me and said that they now had the points we wanted. We were able to cancel the resale contract because we were still within that 10 day window of cancellation. I knew that the points we were getting were a result of Disney exercising ROFR on another contract. And so I knew that the risk was there that our resale contract could potentially fall through for the same reason. So I took the sure bet even though at the time it was more expensive. No regrets, though. Resale prices for VGC are now more expensive than what I paid for to purchase it directly through Disney! And that was just a couple of years ago!! My guide told me at the time that they were no longer accepting people on the waitlist, though, because the waitlist was so long. So the ROFR risk is always there.

I prefer VGC over Disneyland Tower. But because VGC resale prices are so expensive, I just don't think it hurts to wait to see how much the points are going to be for Disneyland Tower. That's why I would wait if I were in your situation. But if you think that you will always regret not getting VGC, then I would go that route.

edited to add: I just read Royal Consort’s comments and they are all great points. If VGC is what you really want, the best time is always now. It’s hard to predict what is going to happen. I questioned my decision when I bought direct a couple of years ago and now I’m glad that I did it when I did. But for me, I really wanted the direct membership (don’t want to engage in debates re direct vs resale here).

Last edited:
I heard that sales are expected to start later this year? If that’s true then I think we may wait it out. I’m also stalking the site to try to pick up a cancellation or two at GCV for the time being. Will be interesting to see how sales go when DLT, VG2, RIV and AUL are all for sale at the same time.
A picture I saw about a month ago they are still working on the foundation. I doubt it will be ready before late 2023/early 2024. I don’t think it will go on sale this year, they will be pushing the new GF, Riviera, and Aulani.

This is an old thread, I commented on August 2020 that VGC was $240. Now $285-$300.

Earlier in this thread I commented that I had a small VGC contract and was waiting on DLT. I LOVE Disneyland Hotel (hotel side) but I changed my mind and added on more VGC resale. This was my personal reasoning:

1. No balcony for studios. Love to sit with coffee or wine at the start and end of the day.

2. Majority of views will be over suburbia and power lines. I stayed in Frontier Tower as a bit of a test drive with the view that the DVC tower will have. The view was the biggest deal breaker. It dawned on me Disney are building their DVC Tower on the most undesirable land. Sure you can spend more points for a pool view but I hate to think how many more points.
View attachment 644131
View attachment 644132

3. VGC is more upscale with many more food and beverage options. Plus certain rooms have park views which trump DLT pool views (the best you can hope) any day.

I expect VGC will drop some in price but not significantly. It's a boutique DVC option due to its size. I picked up an extra 125 points for $285 and I'm okay with that. I can't lie, the current lack of goodwill Disney is showing to their guests put me off DLT direct purchase too.

4. Finally, the concept art of the room without any theming to Disneyland (unlike the hotel side) solidified I made the correct decision. Don't really buy mid-century sleeping beauty/Eyvind Earle mashup.

What would I buy? VGC. Do I consider DLT moderate? No but I consider it less deluxe than WDW offerings and probably on par with Gran Destino Tower (moderate+?). The cash price at DLH will have to affect the DLT price/point chart in some way.
I hadn't considered the views from DLT. I appreciate these photos, thanks for sharing!

Don't forget to check the ROFR tracking thread before making an offer, you'd be surprised at the delta between list price and accepted offer price. Negotiate! Can't hurt to throw a few lowballs out there while you wait for DLT pricing info, you never know. Good luck!

No. VGC is way too small and DLT will have 5x more points and owners. My guess is, most DLT owners will be looking to swap to VGC at 7 months and compete with everyone else. You wanna stay at VGC? You gotta pay to play. Or roll the 7 month dice. VGC resale prices will be just fine, unless Disney decides to convert another wing to DVC and increase inventory. Can you imagine the free for all if that were to ever happen?

I can't wait for DLT - I just wish they were putting in light up fountains somewhere that would be like the ones they removed from the Disneyland Hotel

Last night as I was stalking the website, I picked up a cancellation for a Saturday night in June. I guess our other option (which is a lot more work but also kinda fun 🤩) would be to continue stalking the site for cancellations and use our existing points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter