VGF contract so overpriced

BlackTea

Mouseketeer
Have been following VGF contracts for more than one month, and there are >60 of them across multiple sites yet most of them are asking >180 per point, and I barely saw sales. Based on ROFR, it seems around 165 is more reasonable, so what would you guys recommend? Hold for the price to drop, if at all? Or make an offer 20 below asking price? Never felt comfortable doing that...

I noticed the price went up when they announced that it looked like the walkway was going in.

My process for resale has always been to offer what I was comfortable paying and worst case I would get a no. You never know what a seller might accept. All is negotiable. Just think about all of the elements and decide on what would make it a good deal for you,

If the first one says no, keep trying!

Have been following VGF contracts for more than one month, and there are >60 of them across multiple sites yet most of them are asking >180 per point, and I barely saw sales. Based on ROFR, it seems around 165 is more reasonable, so what would you guys recommend? Hold for the price to drop, if at all? Or make an offer 20 below asking price? Never felt comfortable doing that...
It looks like some of the asking prices are starting to drop from what people wanted a couple of months ago. I made a few offers back then and the best counter was 115 a point. I recently had a 100 AKL accepted at 105 a point.

Agree with others. If you want a VGF contract, make an offer. The seller can either counter or just say no. It's done all the time. Don't worry about it. Good luck!

I just bought bay lake. I saw that a lower price point was starting to get through rofr so that’s what prompted me to buy now. I put offers in on a few contracts until I found the right seller that accepted the price.

It can’t hurt to make an offer. You’ll find that person that is ready to sell and will take your offer. $160 doesn’t seem unreasonable based on what we’ve seen pass rofr lately.

Realize that you are seeing the seller’s wish price when you look at listings. If the seller prices their points too high their contract doesn’t sell. Competitively priced contracts sell fast and disappear from the listings but overpriced contracts just linger on in the listings and as a result the overpriced contracts tend to accumulate, especially in a slower market. I’m not currently in the market for another DVC contract and haven’t been following the market and don’t know if things are slowing down, but I glanced at a site that aggregates many of the DVC listings and noted that some of those expensive contracts have been on the market since this summer. The competitively priced contracts will have sold and disappeared, which can skew what you’re seeing towards the higher priced ones.

If there is a contract you like try offering $165. They will either accept it or counter. All sellers are different. When I purchased VGC I offered less than the asking price and they accepted.

You have zero chance of getting a VGG contract with asking 20 dollars a point under asking. You're just wasting everyone's time.

While it is a long shot, you never know what a seller might accept given how long a contract has been for sale,

As a seller, I never thought of it as a waste of time for someone to offer me something. I just said no.

Reactions: cm8
Keep in mind as well that if you tried to get it for a steal and are successful, you are in essence lowering the value of your own resort, your own investment.

You have zero chance of getting a VGG contract with asking 20 dollars a point under asking. You're just wasting everyone's time.
Is VGG a typo for VGF? There are several listings for VGF which have been on the market 120-150 days, who knows whether the sellers think they are wasting time waiting for an offer or not.

There’s no harm in offering below asking. They will either counter or say no! :-) We got a great price for ours by following the prices on here (although not at this resort). It’s always worth trying.

Just find a contract that works for you and offer what you think is reasonable. If they say no, you move on to the next one. Good thing about DVC resale is that the points are all the same. It's not like buying a house where each house is completely unique.

When i bought almost 3.5 years ago -- most of the list prices for VGF were between $150-$165 (direct price was $185 at the time). I followed the ROFR thread here and nothing was getting taken back by Disney. There was one contract that was listed at $145 and I offered $123 and they took it. They had apparently declined $130 a month prior to my offer -- but since nothing happened in that month, they decided to take what they could.

Keep in mind as well that if you tried to get it for a steal and are successful, you are in essence lowering the value of your own resort, your own investment.

that is so not true. If someone buys 150 points at VGF for $100 -- it changes absolutely NOTHING. There are literally millions of points for each resort -- 150 out of 1 million is nothing.

Not to mention -- no one will likely find out about what price the person paid for the points -- so it has a zero chance of affecting the public's value perception.

Yes -- people can go through all the filings on the OCC website and back calculate the price you paid -- but they won't know anything about closing costs/MF adjustments or if the contract was stripped...so figuring out the value of the contract purchased is vague. And the number of people that go through the trouble of doing that are not large enough to affect the overall pricing of the contracts.

There’s no harm in offering below asking. They will either counter or say no! :-) We got a great price for ours by following the prices on here (although not at this resort). It’s always worth trying.
Some owners think their points were dipped in gold and are asking way above what other similar contracts are selling for. No harm in offering less than asking unless you are being ridiculous with your offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!