Victoria & Alberts discontinuing 7 & 10 course options starting July - confirmed

1) Alas, even V&A is suffering from high prices.
2) Disney is beginning to learn that, "If We Build It, They Don't Always Come.".

Not sure I understand your comment. Granted, V&A doesn't have much capacity, but it is booked solid through December. How is that "suffering from high prices?"

Although we (obviously) have no reviews of the change yet, my assumption is that this change will devalue rather than enhance the experience due to less choice. That would be counter to both points.

Gotta comment - this is the ONE WDW Restaurant where "my wife and I don't care" :).
Not negative - VERY positive. V&A can chose to do whatever they want to do.... They will take care of us, and we will take care of the bill with SMILES on our faces :). Oh, already booked again for Nov 2018 :).

Just one request? Never lower Quality... raise prices. PLEASE?

Interesting, can't wait to hear some real live reports after someone has gone. We had the 7 course with wine pairing in the main dining room and couldn't eat all that. Our bill came out to a little over $700 with tip, not sure we would do that many courses, with a wine pairing for each that would be $770 without tax and tip. From what I understand you used to be able to share the wine pairing but you can't now, we would be happy with that because we couldn't finish the wine either.
We ate there about 2 years ago and my wife and I shared the wine pairing. Like one posted, if one ordered wine and the other person didn't, how would they stop both from drinking from the same glass.

We ate there about 2 years ago and my wife and I shared the wine pairing. Like one posted, if one ordered wine and the other person didn't, how would they stop both from drinking from the same glass.

They used to actually bring two glasses and split the pairing between two people. No they wouldn't stop you both from drinking out of the same glass but it is easier to each have your own glass.

We were told there is "No sharing" or "Splitting" of wine but the chef's told us that one of order the wine pairing but share a glass. That is what we did and it was easy to do. We just passed the wine glass back and forth it was pretty easy and less confusing for them than having two individual wine glasses. We were told that if they set two wine glasses down on the table and pour some in each than that is two wine pairings.

We were just there June 17th. We ordered one wine pairing because I rarely drink and don't have the palate to appreciate expensive wine. We didn't ask and were not told anything about splitting a wine pairing. I took a small sip of each pour from my SO's glass and if the staff had an issue with it, no one said anything to us. It was definitely the right call not to get two pairings, because my reaction to each was basically "eh, tastes like alcohol". :rotfl2:

We dined at V&A last evening.

First: Here's the basic email info that comes with future reservations:

Menu Style- Victoria & Albert’s offers a Chef Degustation Tasting menu with a vast array of textures and flavors. Our menu is seasonal as Chef Scott, Chef Aimee along with the culinary team are on a quest of always finding the perfect balance between classic and modern touches.

Allow at least 3 hours for the dining experience. On average, the menu will be between 8 and 12 courses. The amount of courses may change based on the size of some of the culinary creations.

Pricing – Menu price is $235.00 per person (for food only) not including supplement items, alcoholic beverages, gratuities or taxes. A wine pairing is also available upon request at a price of $150.00 per person.

Cancellation Fee - Cancellations will be accepted only by our reservations office by calling 407-939-3862. A fee of $100 per person will be charged for each guest that cancels within 72 hours or does not show to the reservation. All fees will be waived if we receive a courtesy call before the 72-hour window. Our restaurant is very small and each table is only served once per evening. A prompt cancellation allows for us to call one of our many guest on our wait list.

Menu sampling (the "Degustation" aspect of the menu) appears to be a distinct characteristic of the new menu. The new menu is obviously more pricey (to reflect recent increased operating costs, particularly food).

Our concern is the number of courses, since the 7-course is more than adequate for us (we'd enjoy an appropriately charged six-course!) We'll be back to check it out in August.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Slightly off-topic...when do you get that email from V&A's? We have a reservation there in September but I haven't gotten any email like that. Does it come closer to the reservation date?

Slightly off-topic...when do you get that email from V&A's? We have a reservation there in September but I haven't gotten any email like that. Does it come closer to the reservation date?

I got mine a month plus a few days ahead (this past Sat) ... for a late July reservation.

We have always received email confirmations from V&A within 24 hours of making the reservation.

Very excited about this. We used to dine in the main dining room with the 7 course menu where you had the ability to choose between 1-2 offerings per course. Mine was always altered slightly because of seafood allergies plus I was told that I could substitute an item from a different course or from a vegetarian menu or even from DH's menu (assuming it didn't have seafood) and occasionally they'd just modify an existing course to remove any seafood.

Then we made the mistake once of dining in the QVR with the 10 course menu. That set an unfortunate precedent - now we can't go back to the main dining room we loved the QVR and 10 courses so much. We did QVR again two years ago and have booked it for this upcoming December. I was quite worried that I wouldn't be able to get the QVR and would have to eat in the main dining room (oooo - how terrible a fate :rolleyes:). So it's good to know that even if we can't get into the QVR in future, we won't be limited to the 7 courses. I actually preferred the 10 courses; much smaller plates but lots more variety. No choices for each course but I'll eat pretty much anything the chef cares to give me as long as there's no seafood in it. I hate mushrooms but I've had a mushroom pasta at V&As that I can still remember after so many years and it was so delicious. It convinced me that, in the hands of a highly qualified chef, only food allergies are relevant - I ignore food preferences and let the chef do what they know better than I.

So is there no longer any significant distinction (or price difference) between QVR and the main dining room?

I just got the call for our July 7th reservation in the main dining room. The lady on the phone confirmed they are moving away from the 7 and 10 course menus, and now offering the Chef Degustation Menu which offers 9 to 12 courses depending on what the chef chooses to prepare. The price is now $235 per person in the main room, which is a $50 increase from the 7 course menu price. Not terrible. I think they will offer a lot of new creations from some that have been previously reviewed on various blogs and forums.

The wine pairing is now $150 per person, a $45 increase from the 7 course menu pairing. I was informed that this price only includes 9 pours, each being 2 oz. If the menu that night offers more courses, there will be additional wine pairings for a surcharge. (I didn't ask the charge, sorry, but I am sure it will vary) I thought the pours were much larger than that so that in the past right? If that's the case the price jump seems a little steep to me, but I also no nothing of fine wine so maybe this will mean much finer wine? We'll still be getting at least one pairing because when in Rome right?

I'll give an update after our dinner next week to let you all know how all the changes play out. I am curious to know how this effects the pricing in the QV room so if any one finds out let me know.

Very excited about this. We used to dine in the main dining room with the 7 course menu where you had the ability to choose between 1-2 offerings per course. Mine was always altered slightly because of seafood allergies plus I was told that I could substitute an item from a different course or from a vegetarian menu or even from DH's menu (assuming it didn't have seafood) and occasionally they'd just modify an existing course to remove any seafood.

Then we made the mistake once of dining in the QVR with the 10 course menu. That set an unfortunate precedent - now we can't go back to the main dining room we loved the QVR and 10 courses so much. We did QVR again two years ago and have booked it for this upcoming December. I was quite worried that I wouldn't be able to get the QVR and would have to eat in the main dining room (oooo - how terrible a fate :rolleyes:). So it's good to know that even if we can't get into the QVR in future, we won't be limited to the 7 courses. I actually preferred the 10 courses; much smaller plates but lots more variety. No choices for each course but I'll eat pretty much anything the chef cares to give me as long as there's no seafood in it. I hate mushrooms but I've had a mushroom pasta at V&As that I can still remember after so many years and it was so delicious. It convinced me that, in the hands of a highly qualified chef, only food allergies are relevant - I ignore food preferences and let the chef do what they know better than I.

Don't ever do the Food & Wine special meal then. You might have to get a second mortgage to eat there:) We did it last November for my birthday, and it was absolutely, amazingly, fantastic. After eating at both V&A and Remy on DCL, I feel that way about the food too. I have eaten so many things in both that I normally would not pick and absolutely loved every single one of them.

Just got my call for next Sunday. She confirmed the change takes place on July 4th. I'll report back after dinner to review if the $145 more was worth it.(two meals one wine pairing) There goes the bottle of champagne I was going to order there.:rolleyes1

So for a party of two with wine pairings dinner would now be $235(x2)+$150(x2)=$770 before tax and tip? Or just shy of $1,000 for dinner with wine?

We have a reservation for August 7th for our 15th anniversary. We had planned on just doing the 7 course as we aren't big eaters (or drinkers). Guess we won't be doing the wine pairings now (DW would be flat drunk anyway).

So for a party of two with wine pairings dinner would now be $235(x2)+$150(x2)=$770 before tax and tip? Or just shy of $1,000 for dinner with wine?

We have a reservation for August 7th for our 15th anniversary. We had planned on just doing the 7 course as we aren't big eaters (or drinkers). Guess we won't be doing the wine pairings now (DW would be flat drunk anyway).

That is correct according to what I was told by the cm.

Instead of a wine pairing, guests can always order some wine offerings by the glass. Also, a number of bottles (alas, not many) are under $100. And you can bring your own special favorite, but there's a corking fee of $75 per bottle. Of course, personal selections may not match up ideally with every course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter