Video Idea - Disney Jobs for Retirees

TheJRock300

Mouseketeer
My wife and I were discussing, eventually, working at Disney when we retire. I thought it may be a good video to go over best jobs for retirees that are looking to work part time (or full time) at Disney. Taking into consideration the brutal heat, etc.

Just an idea :)

I’ve always wanted to work at Disney to experience it since I’m a life long fan. Hubby was kind enough to say we’d rent a place nearby for a year so I could try it out if I ever was offered a part time job. But... I’m too settled in sw fla now.. too retired, too relaxed, frankly I just wanna Enjoy it rather than deal with the people that have def lost their Disney manners over the years.

Yes, my point was this would be something to supplement retirement income. Great ideas everyone. I think I would want to drive a friendship boat.. the wife would do artistic candy apples

Just making sure! I had a dream to work for Disney. The pay seemed decent for what I would have been doing (bus driver) but then I found out how many hours a week they consider full-time, did the math, and realized I'm better off where I am now.

Friendship boat captain sounds fun.

My wife and I were discussing, eventually, working at Disney when we retire. I thought it may be a good video to go over best jobs for retirees that are looking to work part time (or full time) at Disney. Taking into consideration the brutal heat, etc.

Just an idea :)

Love this idea. A few years ago we met a retired couple at Biergarten at our shared table They were probably in their 60s. They said the easiest job to get was food service. They both worked at Wide World of Sports during events and could schedule their own hours. They were from Ohio and were snowbirds, so they could rent a small house during the winter in Florida, work at Disney and get into the parks free while they were there. Then they moved back to Ohio during the summer. That sounded like a perfect setup and something we've always had in the back of our minds that we would love to do. I have arthritis so I would be the one at the register on a stool lol.

I see a lot of retired folks as the greeters out front at the gate and also waving goodbye at the end of the night.

Overall, I don't think there are many jobs that retirees can't do at Disney.

I love this idea for a show. They could do pros and cons, highlight different jobs that could be done. Maybe it's an episode ( or a few ) that ties in with Moving to the Magic.

As long as you're looking at it as a way to supplement your retirement income and not be the main source of income.

Unless they have savings. Stick to their post topic, not their financial situation whatever that may be.

I guess the timing would be a little off, seeing as they are asking the older generation to stay home as of now, but I believe they would need to disclose this is not for the current coronavirus world, it would need to be when the state is fully "open" again

love this idea - I'm 58 and starting to really think about what I want to do upon retirement. I'm not married .... who knows if I will be when I retire. Did the marriage thing for 14 years and it didn't work out but hopefully 2nd time will be a charm. But, if not, I'm happily single and thinking about this as my retirement plan. I have horses and have owned them all my life. I would like to do the guided trail rides at Fort Wilderness. Or drive the horses on the hay rides and wagon rides...

I think working for the magic isn’t quite the same as enjoying it
I always wondered/thought that too. Also wondered if just living there would take the magic away for me. Not that I'd be alive if I lived in FL in any months besides Nov - March anyway. Just imagine the opposite of Frozen, and that would be me, sodden, on the sidewalk. :faint:

That's why I never wanted t become a Disney travel agent, even though I always unofficially helped all who asked over the years, and was told I'd make an excellent one SO many times, even by TA themselves. If I did it when I wanted to, that kept it fun, instead of a job. I even had concerns when I used to be a mod/forum leader on a few Disney sites in the past, but was also, very fortunately able to keep that fun. The only time I had a huge issue, and it became WAY less than fun was the year I was the overall Coordinator of the big get-togethers we all used to do - over 100 attendees, and lasting through MANY events over an entire week. That took an entire year to plan, coordinate, send out snail mail newsletters every few months, and felt VERY much like a job, instead of a pleasure, at the end of it, and I was EXHAUSTED. Plus - having to fill the footsteps of, and be judged by, others who had done it before, among others. Promised myself I'd NEVER do that again! Not even now that I'm retired.

Last edited:
Several years ago, I half seriously joked to DH about working for Disney when we retired. I was pretty keen on the idea of being a greeter or even an older member of the Voices of Liberty. He made the point that after decades of working in corporate America, wouldn't it be more fun to just go and enjoy the magic as a guest more often, while still being free to travel to a variety of other places (vs. being committed to another work schedule). I decided that he made a good point. Still, it would be interesting to see what CM roles are good fits for retirees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!