Viking Ship Adrift

From Marine Traffic. Looks like a tug ,helo, and two ocean going supply ships near this area. Prayers to them all.
Screenshot_20190323-165501.jpg

From vikingcruises.com https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html#noscroll

"On March 23rd at 2:00 pm (Norwegian time) the Viking Sky experienced a loss of engine power off the coast of Norway near Molde. Our first priority was for the safety and wellbeing of our passengers and our crew, and in close cooperation with the Norwegian Coast Guard, the captain decided to evacuate all guests from the vessel by helicopter. The ship is proceeding on its own power and a tugboat is on site. The evacuation is proceeding with all necessary caution. If you have questions or concerns about any guests onboard please call this number for US/AU booked guests 1-888-889-8837, and for UK booked guests 07585 779 853 or 0208 780 7900."

That is some scary stuff there, hope it all ends well for all those involved.

Hope everyone gets off safely! I have a huge fear of helicopters(am fine with planes). They'd have to sedate me to get me on one.

My sister has a friend who is crew on board. She said he reported to her it has calmed a little and almost all of the passengers are off and they are preparing to start crew evacuations soon (I'm sure once all the passengers are off).

While people seem to be remaining fairly calm I'm not sure why they are getting up to run around. Scary!
Yeah, just sitting there while that giant planter is sliding across the floor along with the loose furniture. Then parts of the ceiling collapse. And they are just sitting there watching. Glad the grand piano was in a lock down.
Hope everyone gets off safely! I have a huge fear of helicopters(am fine with planes). They'd have to sedate me to get me on one.
Helicopters are just as safe as airplanes. I was an Army helicopter test pilot and Maintenance Officer for 22 years. Never had an incident I couldn't handle and was highly trained for.

My sister has a friend who is crew on board. She said he reported to her it has calmed a little and almost all of the passengers are off and they are preparing to start crew evacuations soon (I'm sure once all the passengers are off).

Media is reporting only about 200 passengers have been evacuated so far, of the nearly 900 onboard. Just over 1300 total on board [passengers and crew]. Apparently each helicopter can only take 15 people at a time.

SW

That has to be scary for the passengers and crew. Hope they get it all worked out.

It was exactly one year ago that we were on that same ship along with about 100 DISers doing a 7-night cruise around Italy.

Media is reporting only about 200 passengers have been evacuated so far, of the nearly 900 onboard. Just over 1300 total on board [passengers and crew]. Apparently each helicopter can only take 15 people at a time.

SW

She has been in contact with him, and he is actually on there. So I tend to trust a crew member aboard over media who are not there.

Viking is an amazing company and doing a great job. We've done both ocean and river cruises with them. My heart and prayers go out to all involved.

Official Norwegian Police webpage with updates [in Norwegian]: https://www.politiet.no/politiet-informerer/informasjon-hendelse-hustadvika-viking-sky/informasjon-hendelse-hustadvika-viking-sky/oppdaterte-fakta/

Per Google translate, latest update from that page:

Update 01.45 - 24 March 2019
At 01.35 on Sunday, March 24, 230 people were registered at the motak center in Brynhallen. From the motak center there is a continuous transfer to the evacuation center.
At 01.35 on Sunday 24 March, it was recorded that 16 people were transported from the reception center directly to the hospital / emergency room.
New updates on numbers will not be given until Sunday morning.

"Facts in English" page (mainly contact info for families): https://www.politiet.no/politiet-in...viking-sky/oppdaterte-fakta/facts-in-english/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!