**Villains After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

I am actually pretty stoked to get the Villains version. We are huge villains fans so this will be awesome for us. What was the issue with this previously that caused so many negative responses?

I was solo, and went to the last night in August. It was a very different atmosphere than regular MK, and felt like Halloween Lite but more adult oriented. More of a party situation than everything I’ve read about DAH. I loved it but again I’m in the DINC older millennial demographic. The dragon alone was worth the price of admission to me.

I would be very hesitant to use VAH as a substitute park day the way people use regular DAH. They sold far too many tickets and there were too many people for that. You definitely needed a plan to ride things, and that just isn’t the case with normal DAH. I really wish they would call this event something else because I feel like people would have different expectations and feel less disappointed that way.
I have already done regular DAH but I will be using a parkhopper that day and rather than planning on finishing my day earlier at 9 I'd maybe arrive at the MK at 5pm and do some rides with fastpasses, then we can just focus on the special party stuff and take the pressure off the rides. With some fastpasses and DAS we should be able to get a fair amount done even with crowds in a couple of hours.

I already have the HEA fireworks party booked with after party - "just in case" so around 7 we'd sit down and take a nice long break before starting the party and watch fireworks at 8, have snacks until the party starts at 9 and then enjoy the party. I read popcorn lines were super long but it would not be a huge deal since we'd already done the dessert party and we are going on a cruise so it's not like we won't have plenty to eat.

I need to read a lot more reviews but it seems like with proper expectations it could be worth doing.

My other plan was to do EMH at MK (also that day) then hop over to Epcot for the evening and do festival of the arts stuff - but much less excited about the new epcot fireworks than seeing HEA.

I am actually pretty stoked to get the Villains version. We are huge villains fans so this will be awesome for us. What was the issue with this previously that caused so many negative responses?
much larger than anticipated crowds (compared to regular DAH events at MK), long waits (45 minutes+) at the rides with the special villains overlays (I believe pirates and space mountain), huge lines for the free snacks (specifically being unable to keep up with popcorn production), more crowded walkways than in typical DAH (no "empty park feeling.") This is what I am gleaning from reading reports, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the plus side is the special villains stuff - stage show seemed to have room to watch it for the last show... maleficent dragon going down main street... overall spooky atmosphere... and the villains overlays on certain rides. I don't believe the rides that did not have any special overlays had long waits.

The crowds, namely. The main selling point of DAH is being able to walk on rides over and over all night because they limit tickets sold and the park is nearly empty. That was certainly not the case at VAH. Insane lines for headliners most of the night. I did better than most because I got on Space during one of the stage show performances and used the single rider feature but the line was backed up like crazy when I got out. Which combined with the recycled ride overlay concept, extra entertainment (with mixed reviews) and up sell snacks made it more comparable to the Halloween party. But there were no villain M&Gs, just them heckling you on the way out (which was hilarious btw).

Basically it doesn’t quite know what it wants to be, and is more expensive than the regular DAH. Again I loved it as a huge villain fan but I understand why people were not feeling it. It was much more akin to a Disney Villain fan convention than the traditional low crowd ride Space 30 times in a ghost town MK type of event people come to expect from After Hours.

For those with extra time, you can read up on a pretty decent supply of DISer VAH event reviews from the summer via these links:

It certainly wasn’t all bad - many people had a lot of fun. It just seemed to have a different vibe and one needed a different set of expectations compared to regular DAH.

@afan - 8/8/2019
@kylenne - 8/8/2019
@ambellina - 8/8/2019
@KangaFan - 8/8/2019
@BirdL15 - 8/8/2019
@Martini35 - 8/8/2019
@JeninTexas - 8/8/2019

@Kyhome - 8/1/2019
@BrianL - 8/1/2019
@heath92681 - 8/1/2019
@MomRN - 8/1/2019
@Sarahslay - 8/1/2019

@Mzpalmtree - 7/25/2019
@brookmey - 7/25/2019
@HopperFan - 7/25/2019
@KCSherri - 7/25/2019
@disneycat321 - 7/25/2019
@sjberg79 - 7/25/2019
@EEva - 7/25/2019
@Elle :) - 7/25/2019
@vinotinto - 7/25/2019
@cmsb - 7/25/2019
@monorailrabbit - 7/25/2019

@always - 7/18/2019
@MNDisneyMommy - 7/18/2019
@AngiTN - 7/18/2019

@provoaggie - 7/11/2019
@skullsplitter - 7/11/2019
@chaoskids - 7/11/2019

@PPFlight75 - 7/1/2019
@Justplainchy - 7/1/2019
@TISHLOVESDISNEY - 7/1/2019
@clm10308 - 7/1/2019
@Castlequeen5 - 7/1/2019
@Lsdolphin - 7/1/2019
@Mrjoshua - 7/1/2019

@maryj11 - 6/27/2019
@Haley R - 6/27/2019
@Madeleinebelle - 6/27/2019
@StephenM84 - 6/27/2019
@Mrjoshua - 6/27/2019

@Chisoxcollector - 6/20/2019
@Amy&Dan - 6/20/2019
@osufeth24 - 6/20/2019
@f1gm3nt - 6/20/2019
@ShadeDK - 6/20/2019
@djc9699 - 6/20/2019
@DisneyGuy - 6/20/2019
@ninafeliz - 6/20/2019

@senadler - 6/13/2019
@Chavaleh - 6/13/2019
@idahosoxfan - 6/13/2019
@Remy is Up - 6/13/2019
@Cluelyss - 6/13/2019
@leafyeon - 6/13/2019
@ali_in_al - 6/13/2019
@Oneanne - 6/13/2019
@mekay1012 - 6/13/2019
@ArielSRL - 6/13/2019
@heidijanesmith - 6/13/2019
@Dbktmc - 6/13/2019
@rpfennig - 6/13/2019

@rdesear - 6/6/2019
@AllThingsMickey4 - 6/6/2019 and PhotoPass Shots
@Cinderumbrella - 6/6/2019
@MinnieMSue - 6/6/2019
@tookydo - 6/6/2019
@sls404 - 6/6/2019
@AdrianneB - 6/6/2019
@Raya - 6/6/2019
@Branderson610 - 6/6/2019
@Mommaof3 - 6/6/2019

So how quickly do these tickets sell out...We're hoping to get reservations for DVC MK Moonlight Magic on 4/28 which begins booking in January. If that doesn't happen, I might try to book this event on 4/24 so we have a special nighttime park experience.

So how quickly do these tickets sell out...We're hoping to get reservations for DVC MK Moonlight Magic on 4/28 which begins booking in January. If that doesn't happen, I might try to book this event on 4/24 so we have a special nighttime park experience.

We only have this summer to go by... but of the 10 VAH events, 2 sold out (the first and last ones) and both day of.

Pretty small data set though, so it’s hard to draw conclusions about what that may mean for this run.

The regular MK DAH has some history of selling out during March, you can find data in the tables here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...m-faq-discussion-thread.3713652/post-59898156

Generally speaking, to date most DAH and VAH events tend to not sell out, and the ones that do it happens day of or very close to the date.

We only have this summer to go by... but of the 10 VAH events, 2 sold out (the first and last ones) and both day of.

Pretty small data set though, so it’s hard to draw conclusions about what that may mean for this run.

The regular MK DAH has some history of selling out during March, you can find data in the tables here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...m-faq-discussion-thread.3713652/post-59898156

Generally speaking, to date most DAH and VAH events tend to not sell out, and the ones that do it happens day of or very close to the date.

So we'll try booking for DVC MK Moonlight Magic when it opens up in January and then think about doing this if it doesn't work...We'll be a party of seven so looking at a free event vs. over $800...Yikes!

So is this closer to a Halloween party than DAH? We did DAH in 2018 and were thinking of doing it again if offered, the main reason being we loved letting our son be in control and ride whatever he wanted without lines. Is this not really the case with VAH?

Hmmmmm, that’s a whole lot of Villains dates. And no regular After Hours for half the year??? Nice for folks that like Villains, dressing up & characters. Not looking too good for those of us who really just like doing rides & LOW CROWDS!!!!

It would be nice to have some plain old DAH dates too. Still processing this, but I don’t think I like it. I really like the regular DAH, but not too interested in this. I guess Disney preferred the crowded Villains event tho. BOOOOOO DISNEY!

I like how they changed it to LOW wait times instead of little wait times. Probably a sign that it will be busier. Not that I have anything to compare it to, I was extremely spoiled going to the one Nov 2018 that had so few tickets sold (less then 750). Either way, I have a dd who loves all things villain and Halloween so this will be added to our schedule.

I've watched a couple of videos but it's hard to find one that isn't opening night and I don't think those are very representative of actual conditions other than how incredibly loud and chaotic it seems to be. One of the great things about the DAH MK was how quiet and relaxed the evening was- this seems anything but that. The Dis gang panned the stage show and honestly, other than Malificent being brought out a couple of times, the villains aspect seems pretty weak. The reviews are pretty consistent that the wait times on rides are significantly increased from a regular DAH event. Since that's what we're after and not impressed at all with the villains overlay- I think it's a hard pass for us. I'm really disappointed. A regular DAH event is a must do in my book, but the increased price for longer waits is not what I'm looking for. I'm guessing they'll be widely successful though and another great offering bites the dust in favor of more ticket sales. We'll be doing AK instead this next trip.

Were they really that oversold? Halloween party crowds? Not sure I would pay those prices for that.

I would say less than Halloween party but far more than traditional DAH.

Again...manage expectations. Don’t compare it to regular DAH. I love Villains and enjoyed the event this summer but no way would I pay what they’re asking this year for general public prices. I have an AP so it’s a moot point and I only have two people to pay for.

So is this closer to a Halloween party than DAH? We did DAH in 2018 and were thinking of doing it again if offered, the main reason being we loved letting our son be in control and ride whatever he wanted without lines. Is this not really the case with VAH?

Make no mistake, it is not MNSSHP-level crowded. But it is sort of MNSSHP-lite, if you will... as guests are encouraged to dress up, there is villainous music throughout the park, stage shows, etc. It’s more of a “party” vs just plain ol’ MK that you get with regular DAH.

Generally speaking ride wait times (except for the two overlays) are still going to be lower than regular park hours, but it’s not really the mostly walk-on / empty park feeling that tends to happen at many (but not all) regular DAH nights.

I would say less than Halloween party but far more than traditional DAH.

Again...manage expectations. Don’t compare it to regular DAH. I love Villains and enjoyed the event this summer but no way would I pay what they’re asking this year for general public prices. I have an AP so it’s a moot point and I only have two people to pay for.

I agree. The only thing that made me think twice was the reduced AP price. Still, the minute I start hearing "manage expectations" I start balking. I'm just looking at it as though they aren't offer DAH during our visit. They really should rename this something else and not lump it with the DAH's.

Make no mistake, it is not MNSSHP-level crowded. But it is sort of MNSSHP-lite, if you will... as guests are encouraged to dress up, there is villainous music throughout the park, stage shows, etc. It’s more of a “party” vs just plain ol’ MK that you get with regular DAH.

Generally speaking ride wait times (except for the two overlays) are still going to be lower than regular park hours, but it’s not really the mostly walk-on / empty park feeling that tends to happen at many (but not all) regular DAH nights.

Thanks. Sounds like touring effectively during the day might be a better option for us, even with the AP discount don’t know that I’m interested in spending that much unless the majority are close to walk on.

I agree. The only thing that made me think twice was the reduced AP price. Still, the minute I start hearing "manage expectations" I start balking. I'm just looking at it as though they aren't offer DAH during our visit. They really should rename this something else and not lump it with the DAH's.

Same here. Our feeling is that it’s worth it for us as a fun add on during a a longish trip (10 days) where we will have plenty of regular time at MK due to proximity, staying at the Poly with AP and a hopper. We see the value in it as Villain fans in that respect. My partner also wanted to go badly and could not make it on the August trip with me because of her job so this is a nice chance to go together.

I texted her on the way into the office this morning and she is already planning her Tamatoa costume. :rotfl2:

:charac2::sad::mad::headache::crowded:

I'm so disappointed in this move.

Me too. I don’t think it looks good for regular DAH going forward. This year, they did Villain’s in the summer, leading up to the Halloween party. These dates go to July, making me think their plan now is just run them right to the Halloween parties start again.

I can see a mixing things up & doing a Villains once in awhile. But 6 months of them, the 6 months without a holiday party, really stinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!