**Villains After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
Welcome to the Magic Kingdom "Villains After Hours" FAQ & Discussion Thread!
:welcome:

A centralized thread for Villains After Hours (VAH) information, discussion, and questions.

Background
On 10/29/2019, Disney announced a new series of "Villains After Hours" events covering Feb 7 - July 10, 2020. This first "Villains" version of Disney After Hours in Summer 2019 proved to be materially different than regular MK Disney After Hours event in many respects, so this is a "spin off" thread dedicated to discussing the Villains After Hours event. The 'regular' Disney After Hours (DAH) discussion thread can be found here.

Event Information & FAQs
Post #2 - Event Description
Post #3 - Current & Historical Event Dates, Times, and Sell-Out Tracking
Post #4 - Ticket Price & Discount Information
Post #5 - Open Attractions
Post #6 - When Can I Get in the Park with a VAH Ticket?
Post #7 - Transportation Information
Post #8 - Miscellaneous Event FAQs
Post #9 - DAH-Related Links

Event Review Posts
Post #10 - DISer VAH Event Review Posts

Other Park Disney After Event Threads
Magic Kingdom "Disney After Hours" Discussion & FAQ Thread

Hollywood Studios "Disney After Hours" Discussion & FAQ Thread
Animal Kingdom "Disney After Hours" Discussion & FAQ Thread

See anything missing or anything you’d like added to this thread? Just let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Post #2 - Event Description

Here is the Villains After Hours event description per Disney's website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/disney-villains-after-hours/

A Wonderfully Wicked Time
Grab an apple, pack your potions and discover the joys of being bad as villains shine at this after-hours event!

Magic Kingdom park presents Disney Villains After Hours, a separately ticketed, special nighttime event showcasing some of Disney’s best-loved baddies! Disney Villains After Hours lets a limited number of Guests experience the park for an additional 3 hours after it closes. Enjoy frightfully fun entertainment, photo ops, cuisine and park entry as early as 7:00 PM.

So whether you’re already devilishly divine or just dipping a toe into the dark side, indulge your inner villain at this sinister soiree. But hurry, ticket availability is limited—don’t miss your chance to scare up a good time at this wicked event!

Event Highlights
Disney Villains After Hours is brimming with frightful fun. Highlights include:

• Edgy entertainment featuring favorite villains
  • Three hours of access to over 20 popular Magic Kingdom attractions and experiences with low wait times and thrilling villain-inspired surprises at Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain—all after the park closes
  • Ice cream novelties, popcorn and select bottled beverages—all included with your event admission, available at cards stationed throughout the park
  • Event-themed, limited merchandise plus a curated collection of Villains must-haves will be available for purchase
  • Sinfully delicious villain-themed food and beverage offerings available for purchase
Dress Your Diabolical Best
Pay homage to your fave knave with villain-inspired attire! Before you go, please review our dress code and costume guidelines.

Edgy Entertainment
Thrill to enhanced entertainment in 2020, with more villainous fun than ever before.

New this year, the Villains’ Cursed Caravan will join Maleficent—the fire-breathing dragon—as she slinks her way through the park twice nightly. Be on the lookout for Ursula, Gaston, Oogie Boogie, Cruella DeVil, Captain Hook and more as part of this wicked procession.

Popular entertainment offerings will return, including:

• Villains Unite the Night, a stage show at Cinderella Castle starring Hades, Meg, The Queen, Maleficent, Jafar and other hilarious hoodlums
  • Villain-inspired enhancements at Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain
  • A dance party with a DJ spinning monstrous music in front of Cinderella Castle
  • Themed photo opportunities throughout the park
  • Malevolent music and frightful lighting, which set the tone for a gruesomely good time
Note: This event does not include character greetings. Attractions, entertainment and experiences are subject to change without notice.

Sinfully Delicious Treats
Delight in devilishly good snacks and beverages—some included with your admission.

Ice Cream, Popcorn & Select Beverages Included!
Your event admission includes ice cream novelties, popcorn and select bottled beverages, available at carts stationed throughout the park.

More Delectable Options
Discover an assortment of villain-themed food and beverage offerings available for purchase at select locations throughout the park.
Here are a few of the new treats offered in 2020:

• Painting the Roses Red (available at Cheshire Café), a cheesecake mousse with raspberry gelée, red cocoa butter and buttercream leaves
  • Body Language (available at Storybook Treats), a cookies-and-cream mousse with chocolate cake, glaçage and meringue tentacles garnished with a chocolate shell
  • Five Dozen Eggs Slush (available at Gaston’s Tavern), a frozen custard with brown sugar, topped with whipped cream and garnished with a cinnamon stick
View the Foodie Guide to Disney Villains After Hours for a full list of food and beverages offerings.

Last edited:
Post #3 - Current Event Dates & Times

Disney has historically released VAH event dates in "groups." Current and past "groups" of dates - including sold out data - can be found in the tables below:

February 2020 - July 2020
Dates Announced: Tuesday 10/29/2019
Tickets on Sale: Tuesday 10/29/2019

Table last updated 3/7/2020

February-2020-July-2020.png

June 2019 - August 2019
Dates Announced: Tuesday 4/2/2019
Tickets on Sale: Monday 4/29/2019

Table last updated 11/28/2019

June 2019 - August 2019.png

Last edited:
Post #4 - Ticket Price & Discount Information

Pricing.png

Notes

• Ticket prices above apply to all ages 3+
  • Children under 3 do not need a VAH ticket
  • Day-of AP/DVC discounts are not available online day of but may be available at a ticket window (your mileage may vary)
  • Regular theme park admission is NOT needed to attend Villains After Hours, you may enter the park officially at 7:00 pm with your Villains After Hours ticket
  • VAH tickets are like MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets (and regular park tickets for that matter) - once purchased, DAH tickets are nonrefundable
  • It has been reported that AP discounted tickets can be purchased for the passholder and three others (can be non-passholders), I'd appreciate hearing about experiences or other information that may be different than these reports
How to Buy Tickets

Last edited:

Post #5 - Open Attractions During Villains After Hours

While subject to change, below is the list of attractions that have typically been open for Villains After Hours events. Note, this list is not kept current with rides that are offline for refurbishment.

Main Street USA
Nothing open

Fantasyland
"it's a small world"
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Mad Tea Party
Mickey's Philharmagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Prince Charming Regal Carousel
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
The Barnstormer
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Under the Sea - Journey of The Little Mermaid

Liberty Square
Haunted Mansion

Adventureland
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean
Swiss Family Treehouse
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Country Bear Jamboree
Splash Mountain

Tomorrowland
Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover

Last edited:

Post #8 - Miscellaneous Event Info & FAQs

VAH Event Schedule

For a 10pm - 1am Villains After Hours event night:
  • Villains Unite the Night 11pm, 12:30am - Castle Forecourt Stage
  • Villains' Cursed Caravan
    • 11:30pm - Begins and ends in Frontierland
    • 12:45am - Frontierland to Main Street USA

FPs with a VAH Ticket
  • FPs are not available during the DAH event, all rides are standby only.
  • DAH tickets will allow for FP booking during regular park hours prior to the event, so - if you have no other FPs booked that day - one could book FPs during with a DAH ticket during the regular park hours before the event.
  • In the past, occasionally guests who book FPs with "party tickets" (such as Disney After Hours, MNSSHP, MVMCP) in combination with certain trip details/configurations can potentially cause Disney's system to flag your account for insufficient ticket entitlements and you will receive an e-mail warning that your last day of FPs will be cancelled if you do not address the problem. Who and exactly why people get this warning remains elusive, although reports are relatively infrequent.

Does The Kiss Goodnight Run After Villains After Hours?
  • From reports, The Kiss Goodnight is typically not shown after Villains After Hours events.

Last edited:
Post #10 - DISer Villains After Hours Event Review Posts

Hard-ticket events such as Villains Afters Hours are expensive and many of us come to the DIS to decide if these types of things are "worth it." In my opinion, there is no better resource than the collective thoughts, opinions, and experiences of DISers who have attended VAH.

Links to in-thread review/experience posts are posted below. Good, bad, or ugly - all event reviews and experiences are helpful.

@texasgingerbread - 3/6/2020

@alliecat523 - 2/28/2020
@aliceinvunderland - 2/28/2020
@Mrjoshua - 2/28/2020

@Lisa F - 2/21/2020
@AMK53 - 2/21/2020
@parsonm - 2/21/2020
@UpstateMick - 2/21/2020

@StarShine3 - 2/14/2020
@blobberhead - 2/14/2020

@Jetku - 2/7/2020
@WoolBaby - 2/7/2020
@Angela Lurie - 2/7/2020
@JHatsell - 2/7/2020
@Stacybaeasm - 2/7/2020

Note: June 2019 - August 2019 reviews link to the regular MK Disney After Hours thread, where discussion of Villains After Hours was held prior to creation of this current spin-off thread:

@afan - 8/8/2019
@kylenne - 8/8/2019
@ambellina - 8/8/2019
@KangaFan - 8/8/2019
@BirdL15 - 8/8/2019
@Martini35 - 8/8/2019
@JeninTexas - 8/8/2019

@Kyhome - 8/1/2019
@BrianL - 8/1/2019
@heath92681 - 8/1/2019
@MomRN - 8/1/2019
@Sarahslay - 8/1/2019

@Mzpalmtree - 7/25/2019
@brookmey - 7/25/2019
@HopperFan - 7/25/2019
@KCSherri - 7/25/2019
@disneycat321 - 7/25/2019
@sjberg79 - 7/25/2019
@EEva - 7/25/2019
@Elle :) - 7/25/2019
@vinotinto - 7/25/2019
@cmsb - 7/25/2019
@monorailrabbit - 7/25/2019

@always - 7/18/2019
@MNDisneyMommy - 7/18/2019
@AngiTN - 7/18/2019

@provoaggie - 7/11/2019
@skullsplitter - 7/11/2019
@chaoskids - 7/11/2019

@PPFlight75 - 7/1/2019
@Justplainchy - 7/1/2019
@TISHLOVESDISNEY - 7/1/2019
@clm10308 - 7/1/2019
@Castlequeen5 - 7/1/2019
@Lsdolphin - 7/1/2019
@Mrjoshua - 7/1/2019

@maryj11 - 6/27/2019
@Haley R - 6/27/2019
@Madeleinebelle - 6/27/2019
@StephenM84 - 6/27/2019
@Mrjoshua - 6/27/2019

@Chisoxcollector - 6/20/2019
@Amy&Dan - 6/20/2019
@osufeth24 - 6/20/2019
@f1gm3nt - 6/20/2019
@ShadeDK - 6/20/2019
@djc9699 - 6/20/2019
@DisneyGuy - 6/20/2019
@ninafeliz - 6/20/2019

@senadler - 6/13/2019
@Chavaleh - 6/13/2019
@idahosoxfan - 6/13/2019
@Remy is Up - 6/13/2019
@Cluelyss - 6/13/2019
@leafyeon - 6/13/2019
@ali_in_al - 6/13/2019
@Oneanne - 6/13/2019
@mekay1012 - 6/13/2019
@ArielSRL - 6/13/2019
@heidijanesmith - 6/13/2019
@Dbktmc - 6/13/2019
@rpfennig - 6/13/2019

@rdesear - 6/6/2019
@AllThingsMickey4 - 6/6/2019 and PhotoPass Shots
@Cinderumbrella - 6/6/2019
@MinnieMSue - 6/6/2019
@tookydo - 6/6/2019
@sls404 - 6/6/2019
@AdrianneB - 6/6/2019
@Raya - 6/6/2019
@Branderson610 - 6/6/2019
@Mommaof3 -
6/6/2019

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I feel like one of the few people here who enjoyed VAH...but I had nothing to compare it to, and I was really wanting a normal DAH in MK for our trip next year. I hope they don’t oversell these like they did the first time around and that they take into account guest feedback to make improvements. That price is also nuts, but the AP discount makes it a bit more palatable. At least other half will be excited to experience it, she’s as big a villain fan as I am.

They really switched it up the week I am going in March. Looks like they added a morning EMH Wednesday, villains Wednesday night.
I didn’t see an evening EMH, at least Monday-Friday. Not that I go to those.
Anyway, we did this in July. I was hoping for a Monday, sticking with my EMM. I would have to rearrange a lot of plans I think...disappointed...

Kind of disappointed, had been really hoping for a regular after hours event for February 14. I wasn’t following the thread as closely during the villains the first go around but I know I remember seeing complaints of it being crowded. How bad was it for those who have done both? Those who did both did you also enjoy the villains event?

I just saw this on the website. Was coming to see what everyone else thought.

I’m bummed, I was hoping for a regular DAH the first week of Feb. we will be at US for the Dec MK DAH but weren’t planning to do much Dosney, now I’m wondering if we should do it just to get another regular DAH in.

They have one the friday before our cruise. I was convinced I'd do a regular DAH but not so sure about villains due to long wait times... but in some research I am seeing that the DAS pass is still useful during special events when ride wait times are over 15 minutes, so that would be a game changer for my kiddo on the spectrum.

I need to go through the old feedback more carefully before deciding. With DAS and properly managing expectations it could be a great time and a way to really maximize our single day at Disney.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I feel like one of the few people here who enjoyed VAH...but I had nothing to compare it to, and I was really wanting a normal DAH in MK for our trip next year. I hope they don’t oversell these like they did the first time around and that they take into account guest feedback to make improvements. That price is also nuts, but the AP discount makes it a bit more palatable. At least other half will be excited to experience it, she’s as big a villain fan as I am.

Would you mind telling me what it was like for you as someone who enjoyed it?

They have one the friday before our cruise. I was convinced I'd do a regular DAH but not so sure about villains due to long wait times... but in some research I am seeing that the DAS pass is still useful during special events when ride wait times are over 15 minutes, so that would be a game changer for my kiddo on the spectrum.

I need to go through the old feedback more carefully before deciding. With DAS and properly managing expectations it could be a great time and a way to really maximize our single day at Disney.

Would you mind telling me what it was like for you as someone who enjoyed it?

I was solo, and went to the last night in August. It was a very different atmosphere than regular MK, and felt like Halloween Lite but more adult oriented. More of a party situation than everything I’ve read about DAH. I loved it but again I’m in the DINC older millennial demographic. The dragon alone was worth the price of admission to me.

I would be very hesitant to use VAH as a substitute park day the way people use regular DAH. They sold far too many tickets and there were too many people for that. You definitely needed a plan to ride things, and that just isn’t the case with normal DAH. I really wish they would call this event something else because I feel like people would have different expectations and feel less disappointed that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!