Vintage resort pics?

1992 - The old Volcano Pool slide

Poly3-011ed-L.jpg

1204985721_25ycr-L.jpg

I stayed there twice before it was The Disney Institute. It was called Disney's Village Resort then. We stayed in a Club Villa the first time and a Fairway Villa the second time. I loved the Fairway Villas. They had loft bedrooms that looked down on a huge living room. You could park your car under an overhang on the building. The best thing about them was you could get great AP rates on them. It's too bad they tore them down for Saratoga Springs.

THAT's where I think I stayed back in the early 90's. I kept looking at the current resorts trying to figure which one it was. I was thinking it was Fort Wilderness but now that I see that picture, that's where it was....at least I'm pretty sure. LOL

I stayed there twice before it was The Disney Institute. It was called Disney's Village Resort then. We stayed in a Club Villa the first time and a Fairway Villa the second time. I loved the Fairway Villas. They had loft bedrooms that looked down on a huge living room. You could park your car under an overhang on the building. The best thing about them was you could get great AP rates on them. It's too bad they tore them down for Saratoga Springs.

Disney Institute was our favorite place to stay. We loved the "townhouses" with the loft and patio off the sliding doors, and the villas with the separate living room were great too! I'll have to dig through my photos and post 'em:)

Disney Institute was our favorite place to stay. We loved the "townhouses" with the loft and patio off the sliding doors, and the villas with the separate living room were great too! I'll have to dig through my photos and post 'em:)
Nope - sadly the Disney Institute photos were in my early days of digital camera - no backups on readable media! (3.5" floppy disks anyone?)

Nope - sadly the Disney Institute photos were in my early days of digital camera - no backups on readable media! (3.5" floppy disks anyone?)

I have a USB 3.5" floppy reader. You may be able to find one somewhere to retrieve your photos - if you still have the disks.

Here are acouple pics of the Disney Inn. If we get some replies I will send More from my Honeymoon from October of 1989

Hotel4.jpg

Alot of trails and paths to walk on and great places to sit and relax. This was a great resort for Honeymooning couples. Literally No Kids at all and alot of golf pros, the golf classic for the pros was going on the same week we were there and I am sure they were staying at the same resort, but I didnt know any pros or who they were back then

Hotel2.jpg

Hotel5.jpg

Hotel6.jpg

Hotel7.jpg

Hotel8.jpg

Check out the OLD TV
Room1.jpg

Reply if you want More!!!

Definitely need more Disney Inn! Thanks!!!

Here's how it looks today as Shades of Green... (well 2008-2009 anyway). Sorry, these aren't vintage, but maybe interesting to see the changes in this resort that I think not many people know about.

In this last one, maybe we can see how things haven't changed so much.

2008WDW-May27AnimalKingdom022.jpg

2008WDW-May27AnimalKingdom013.jpg

2008WDW-May27AnimalKingdom001.jpg

2009-WDWJul14DTD-GF047.jpg

I do not remember and waterfalls in the front of the Resort and I do not have any pics of the exterior front I will share what I have. Dont forget I was a Honeymooning couple, so pictures were not top priority. But here is what I have. It was and is a great resort if you are a Golfer!!

Room4.jpg

Room3.jpg

Room2.jpg

The Golf course was literally in viewing distance from the rooms

Hotel15.jpg

Hotel14.jpg

Saw a gator on the water hole popping his nose and eyes above the water. Not the best quality it was getting dark out, but it is definetly a gator. Our caddy pointed it out. Yes they supplied us with caddy. It was pretty snazzy

Hotel16.jpg

As you see from the other post, the pool is completely different. No Slide which was rare for a deluxe resort. Unless this is a small pool and the larger one was somewhere else. We did not swim at all on this vacation, I remember the weather was low 70's and although it was pleasant, it was not Sunny HOT swimmimng weather
Hotel13.jpg

Hotel8.jpg

Hotel7.jpg

Hotel5.jpg

Hotel4.jpg

I think this was at the Contemporary near the bus stop. I thought it was on The Disney Inn property, but somebody on a different thread argued with me and said this is contemporary. It does look like it from the building in the background. But i do know that it is there now but in a different place than it is in this photo. Does anybody have any more info on this statue??
Hotel3.jpg

Hotel2.jpg

Hotel1.jpg

Room7.jpg

Room6.jpg

Room5.jpg

Room4.jpg

Then we wnet to Discovery Island which was a great Place for Animal lovers here are a couple of those without getting to deep into it. But unfortunately I really only took pictures of the wildlife. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the island itself and the buildings and surroundings. Heck you can get the animal photos anytime. They had a great bird show!!

DiscIsland22-1.jpg

DiscIsland20-1.jpg

DiscIsland19-1.jpg

DiscIsland16-1.jpg

DiscIsland14-1.jpg

DiscIsland11-1.jpg

And my favorite!!!
DiscIsland1-1.jpg

ive got alot more vintage photos from this vacation, but they do not belong on this thread

I think this was at the Contemporary near the bus stop. I thought it was on The Disney Inn property, but somebody on a different thread argued with me and said this is contemporary. It does look like it from the building in the background. But i do know that it is there now but in a different place than it is in this photo. Does anybody have any more info on this statue??
Hotel3.jpg

I think it's clearly at the Contemporary in that photo, with one of the wings in the background. And I've seen several other old photos identifying it as being on the Contemporary grounds.

This photo (I found someone else had posted on a photo thread) shows the current location near the marina... you can just make it out on the left side of the photo.

DSC02475-1.jpg

It could actually be in the same location, or very near to it. But if it is, it has been turned to face a different direction. More recent photos show the Marina in the background.

S5001211.jpg

It could be turned just a little in the same spot. My guess is that the building in the back of your photo was the old North Wing of the CR that was demolished to make room for the Bay Lake Tower DVC resort, which would be just off to the left of the current photo.

I think it's clearly at the Contemporary in that photo, with one of the wings in the background. And I've seen several other old photos identifying it as being on the Contemporary grounds.

It could be turned just a little in the same spot. My guess is that the building in the back of your photo was the old North Wing of the CR that was demolished to make room for the Bay Lake Tower DVC resort, which would be just off to the left of the current photo.

The building in the back IS the old north wing of the CR. We stayed there in 2003 when Shades of Green was being renovated / expanded which changed the looks of Shades from the old Disney Inn look into what it looks like now. Prior to that 2003 renovation Shades looked very similar to what Disney Inn looked like. But I have a picture of my family at that statue in 2003. In 2003 you could see both water and the north wing. But n ot as much north wing as the original poster's photo.

Would love to see more of your pics. Do you have any from the inside? I know those of us on the Shades of Green thread would love to see them.

Love your photos of the Disney Inn!!! I never stayed there, but used to go over there for a relaxing lunch on every trip. I just loved the fried ice cream dessert!

Thanks for sharing these!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!