VIP Tours and RotR Discussion

Just a recommendation, but in the future if you get someone who isn't a good fit, quickly ask for a replacement so as to not waste the day. They do accommodate if possible.
Thank you! We did reach out to them and and the end of our tour they called and offered us another guide. After 7 hours though, we were wiped out and just turned off by the entire experience.

Thank you! We did reach out to them and and the end of our tour they called and offered us another guide. After 7 hours though, we were wiped out and just turned off by the entire experience.

I can understand that. And knowing how they operate, I am sure there was no concession on the final bill! 🤑

That is terrible!!!! I would be so upset to not only have spent all of that money and had a bad guide, but also to have to deal with your experience being ruined. We have had really good guides, though some have been better than others for sure; none at all to the level you described. I can only imagine that during really busy times, they have some of the B team in service to get the number of guides that they need? I would recommend to anyone taking a VIP tour that you PM some of us on here that have done a few, and get a specific recommendation for a guide. The guide that works for a young active family may not be the right guide for an all adults group, etc, but at least you know that they won’t be on their phone all day if someone here recommends them.

I will say that for the price, I think they could do a better job on matching the guides. This last trip, we requested the same guide we had the year before. I did this 6 months in advance, and it was not holidays or a very busy time (mid August trip). They were vague for months, and then finally a week before, I asked if we would have the same guide or not. They were still vague and said “she could win the lottery the night before so you never know”. They actually wrote that in an email to me!! I understand that she might get sick the day of or something, but they should have at least been able to say yes, that is who you are scheduled with or no, she is on vacation and not going to be here. But they would NOT commit. Now I have the guide’s cell phone (she did end up giving us our tour that day, but she came in on her day off to do it; she got a different day off later; guess giving a good tip is worth it!), so I can text her when we are planning a trip to see if she will be available.

So I think compared to many other company’s VIP services, Disney has a long way to go.

I am glad that you let them know it was going poorly, and I wish they could have avoided this altogether by not using a disinterested guide for such an important day for your family. I hope they give you some type of partial refund or credit towards a future VIP.

That is terrible!!!! I would be so upset to not only have spent all of that money and had a bad guide, but also to have to deal with your experience being ruined. We have had really good guides, though some have been better than others for sure; none at all to the level you described. I can only imagine that during really busy times, they have some of the B team in service to get the number of guides that they need? I would recommend to anyone taking a VIP tour that you PM some of us on here that have done a few, and get a specific recommendation for a guide. The guide that works for a young active family may not be the right guide for an all adults group, etc, but at least you know that they won’t be on their phone all day if someone here recommends them.

I will say that for the price, I think they could do a better job on matching the guides. This last trip, we requested the same guide we had the year before. I did this 6 months in advance, and it was not holidays or a very busy time (mid August trip). They were vague for months, and then finally a week before, I asked if we would have the same guide or not. They were still vague and said “she could win the lottery the night before so you never know”. They actually wrote that in an email to me!! I understand that she might get sick the day of or something, but they should have at least been able to say yes, that is who you are scheduled with or no, she is on vacation and not going to be here. But they would NOT commit. Now I have the guide’s cell phone (she did end up giving us our tour that day, but she came in on her day off to do it; she got a different day off later; guess giving a good tip is worth it!), so I can text her when we are planning a trip to see if she will be available.

So I think compared to many other company’s VIP services, Disney has a long way to go.

I am glad that you let them know it was going poorly, and I wish they could have avoided this altogether by not using a disinterested guide for such an important day for your family. I hope they give you some type of partial refund or credit towards a future VIP.

I will post a full review later, but he did tell us that he was with Guest Relations on a TA (Temporary Assignment), so it might be worth asking for a more seasoned guide. He was just a wrong fit for this type of work. It was a member of our groups birthday and he didn’t even wish him happy birthday. It was so many little things, but as he sat next to me on NaviRiver posting to Facebook the entire ride, it was the final straw!

Oh and a partial refund would be nice and I am in the midst of fighting this fight.

How long after FoP opened did they start offering the Night of Thrills at AK?
I don't recall exactly but I don't see this getting added to something like hat anytime soon because it is still using boarding groups. They wouldn't add it to that until they are not using the boarding groups anymore. FoP had standby and FP from the start.

I don't recall exactly but I don't see this getting added to something like hat anytime soon because it is still using boarding groups. They wouldn't add it to that until they are not using the boarding groups anymore. FoP had standby and FP from the start.

Thanks. I realize it's not a direct comparison, but it's the closest I could think of.

This is terrible, this is supposed to be one of the top services provided to guests, to have someone who is not on-board and at the top level of service is bad for business. I really hope all the details were shared with Disney and they find some way to compensate you for the bad service. That person should be removed from the rotation. Out of the 3 tours we have done, we had good and great guides. The good one was just not the right fit for our family, she was just a human Fastpass, not that personable but got us to want we wanted to do.

Anyone in the park that can confirm if Plaids are getting groups into the ride? In another strategy thread, someone posted that they have been seeing Plaids entering the lines.

but as he sat next to me on NaviRiver posting to Facebook the entire ride, it was the final straw!

I am not discounting your experience at all. But this would not have even entered my radar. I’m not sure how him posting on his phone during your ride lessened your experience? Is it that you felt it was unprofessional to be on his phone in front of a guest? We read so many reports of CMs being less than “magical” now so I am not surprised a CM would do that. And with more & more people using this service, I think we will read more reports like yours. I am glad you reported your displeasure to someone & hope they offer some type of compensation.

I am not discounting your experience at all. But this would not have even entered my radar. I’m not sure how him posting on his phone during your ride lessened your experience? Is it that you felt it was unprofessional to be on his phone in front of a guest? We read so many reports of CMs being less than “magical” now so I am not surprised a CM would do that. And with more & more people using this service, I think we will read more reports like yours. I am glad you reported your displeasure to someone & hope they offer some type of compensation.
Unprofessional in that we were not paying thousands of dollars for him to be posting on Facebook and it was very distracting to be sitting next to someone with a bright light of his phone shining next to me on a dark ride.

I would agree with Nycraig79, it's very unprofessional for this level of service. The only time the CM should be on a phone is to check wait times or other tour related activities. My 16yo camp where she works even has a rule against using phones during working hours. I'm sure Disney would have similar. If CM where on their phone in the parks, it would be like Six Flags, hahah

I'm not discounting that the CM was on Facebook, but having done VIP tours previously, I can tell you our guides were constantly using their phones to check ride availability, when restaurants were ready for us, weather, and to communicate with each other. It wasn't to be rude- it was an integral part of keeping things moving for the guests.

Unprofessional in that we were not paying thousands of dollars for him to be posting on Facebook and it was very distracting to be sitting next to someone with a bright light of his phone shining next to me on a dark ride.

Thank you, I really wasn’t sure what the exact issue was. I have never been on that ride so didn’t even realize it was dark & of course, the phone would be distracting. I agree, Disney probably has a policy on not using private phones on work time, especially for their supposed “best” CMs providing a service the guests are paying thousands for. I do hope you get some compensation for the less than expected experience.

Edit: (I was briefly sympathizing with a CM who was probably bored sitting thru a ride for the gazillionth time & snuck a quick minute to relieve the monotony. But certainly not if the phone distracts from the ride for the guests.)

Last edited:
I completely agree that guides can be utilizing the phone as they check on wait times, dining reservations etc,. A good guide can also be communicating with other guides about crowd levels etc., I also think there are definitely some great guides out there. My issue was that I saw enough private texts that I can tell you the name of his partner and private conversations. The few rides he did not go on with us he was on his phone and the exit and did not even notice us get off the ride as we walked right by him. We got on a ton of rides and for that I am thankful for the tour, but he added nothing to the experience besides getting us on rides. He never even introduced himself to our group and I have a feeling if we asked him to identify each of us by name that he wouldn’t even be able to.

We got on a ton of rides and for that I am thankful for the tour, but he added nothing to the experience besides getting us on rides. He never even introduced himself to our group and I have a feeling if we asked him to identify each of us by name that he wouldn’t even be able to.

You got he human fast pass. Although I'm sure there are some people who want exactly that. When I book our tours, I let them know we want someone who has a great knowledge of Disney energetic and interactive.

You got he human fast pass. Although I'm sure there are some people who want exactly that. When I book our tours, I let them know we want someone who has a great knowledge of Disney energetic and interactive.
Thanks! Yeah, I know better now. Thanks everyone for the tips

I’m not sure how him posting on his phone during your ride lessened your experience? Is it that you felt it was unprofessional to be his phone in front of a guest?
People using their smartphones during dark rides is incredibly obnoxious, rude, and inconsiderate behavior. And it is absolutely mind-boggling that a VIP tour guide of all people would do such a thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter