Virgin Atlantic refund.

Disney Frenhines

DIS Veteran
Just got an email through telling me my refund has been processed and expect payment back in the next 1-14 days. I'm a bit confused as I did revert back to an open ticket, but, I am happy to take the refund, but, I'll wait and see if it is actually refunded or just an error on VAs accounting dept.

I hope this is positive news for others still awaiting refunds.

I just checked my bank statement because the amount they say is due back to me is more than I thought I paid and it is, an extra £57. More confusion.

Last edited:
They've had the watchdog on their case and I saw a news item a few days ago saying (IIRC) they'd be getting refund times down to 30 days immediately and 14 days (the legally required time I think) within a month or so. (Don't quote me, but it was along those lines.)

I expect the approval of the rescue plan has released a big wodge of moolah to pay outstanding bills :)

I have a return flight booked from Orlando to Manchester in October that is still scheduled but we wont be going as outgoing flight to other us state plus internal ones cancelled and refunded by other airlines - just wondering what my best line of attack to get a refund is - have paid by credit card and I guess could also use travel insurance and fco advise against travel routes as flight booked last November- any advise welcome

I was supposed to be flying out next Tuesday, obviously that isn't happening. I do think this is an error on VA's part and I'm expecting an email telling me that and that I still have the open ticket as I requested. Who knows?

I have a return flight booked from Orlando to Manchester in October that is still scheduled but we wont be going as outgoing flight to other us state plus internal ones cancelled and refunded by other airlines - just wondering what my best line of attack to get a refund is - have paid by credit card and I guess could also use travel insurance and fco advise against travel routes as flight booked last November- any advise welcome

As any cancellations are not your fault then you should get a refund from VA. Contact them and ask what is the scenario if the travel ban is still in place when you are due to fly out. What have you done regarding other aspects of your trip, hotel and so on, are they already cancelled? You won't need to resort to travel insurance for a flight, but, other parts of your planned trip, I would check. Just remember using travel insurance will probably mean an increase in your next premium, so use wisely.

Has anyone here received a refund recently? And if so, how long did it take from when you requested the refund?

Has anyone here received a refund recently? And if so, how long did it take from when you requested the refund?
I did initially request a refund back in May, but, changed my mind and had it reverted to an open ticket, which VA agreed to, but, they now gave me a refund without me asking, I was due to fly on Tuesday on the original ticket, so I'm wondering if that's a link?
However, I haven't received a refund for my exit seat, which I was assured I would be entitled to, despite them not usually being refundable, as VA cancelled the ticket and not me.
Another odd thing is I received an invoice of my refund due to me. It was invoiced at £540.02 with no breakdown, I received £375.02 ticket refund and my exit seats were £108, so a total of £483, as I said in my original post a difference of £57, so I have no idea of what is going on. Looks like I'll need to Whatsapp VA for clarification.

We were due to fly out in Oct, flights were cancelled in August. I booked with Expedia who have been amazing with refunds this year.
I got email on 18th Aug telling us VA had cancelled, I had to reply telling them if I wanted a refund or alternative flights finding. on the 20th I got another email saying Virgin would refund me within 2 to 12 weeks, money was back in my account on 22nd.
4 days from initial email to getting the money. The flights were part of a 5 week trip so we had a lot of hotels booked, around £3,000 worth, all refunded in days. I hear lots of complaints about VA refunds but I can't fault them or Expedia this year.

I really do wonder how they are processing them. I had a cancellation in June and still no sign of a refund. Anyone else still waiting from back then? They said to expect it in 100 days at the time which I think is around now.

I really do wonder how they are processing them. I had a cancellation in June and still no sign of a refund. Anyone else still waiting from back then? They said to expect it in 100 days at the time which I think is around now.
I've had a partial refund, for the ticket itself, but, not for the exit seat. However, the refund invoice stated I would get it all back. I understand they have a lot going on, but, you would have thought they would refund it all in one go.

My September flight was cancelled in July and I'm still waiting. Was told up to 120 days. There's a group on FB just for people waiting for a refund from Virgin. Some are still waiting from March and April.

My refund application was confirmed on 30 June for a flight in August. I was told the refund will take up to 120 days and I am still waiting.

Thanks both. I haven't joined the FB group as in all honesty I was happy waiting just sounded like some people who were cancelled recently were already getting refunds while I was still waiting and wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me in this case :D I'm lucky I'm only owed a very small amount as was an airmile flight and the airmiles were refunded almost instantly.

The odd thing was that I had changed it from a refund to an open ticket and have email confirmation of it as I was hoping to book a flight in October or November for next Spring and thought it would be quicker in the long run than waiting until Christmas and beyond for the refund. God knows what is going on with them. I had paid for my flight using miles and money and was refunded the miles immediately back in the beginning of August.
To be honest I have no clue what is going on.

It's been sorted out now. The first invoice was for just the ticket, but, confusingly they did it for the full cost without taking off the miles I used for it and because they put no breakdown of what was what. I emailed them about it and I hadn't been refunded the cost of the exit seats so I just got an invoice for that refund and, fingers crossed, it'll be in my account in the next day or two and all ready to go on another flight or trip to DLRP.

Does anyone have a reliable way to make contact with VA?

My flight was cancelled about 10 days ago and I've been trying to register for a refund, but their systems seem to be built to give some illusion that they care and will get to me, but are effectively a brick wall.
Over a week waiting for any sense from their text system, which is the way they tram-line you, and today when I phoned and took the 'hang on for an operator' thing, even though it might take hours, it still asked for a mobile for them to text and when I didn't put one in I was just cut off without a word. Went round that 4 times in case it was a glitch. Truly appalling.

I know things are a bit rough but this is just beyond even that allowance.

Does anyone have a reliable way to make contact with VA?

My flight was cancelled about 10 days ago and I've been trying to register for a refund, but their systems seem to be built to give some illusion that they care and will get to me, but are effectively a brick wall.
Over a week waiting for any sense from their text system, which is the way they tram-line you, and today when I phoned and took the 'hang on for an operator' thing, even though it might take hours, it still asked for a mobile for them to text and when I didn't put one in I was just cut off without a word. Went round that 4 times in case it was a glitch. Truly appalling.

I know things are a bit rough but this is just beyond even that allowance.

I contacted them on Whatsapp and Twitter, got a slightly faster reply via Twitter, but only a few hours difference.

I contacted them on Whatsapp and Twitter, got a slightly faster reply via Twitter, but only a few hours difference.
I was afraid of that. I don't 'do' either of them at present though I have a little used facebook account.
It's sad that I have to think about signing up to a social media platform just to twist VA into giving me my legal rights.

Anyone else got backdoors? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter