Virgin versus BA

ducky100

Mouseketeer
Hi we have always tended to fly VA but prices for next summer seem to more favourable at BA. Any views if I can expect the same service?

Thanks!

I would say yes - we have generally chosen VA but of late find many of the staff seemingly disenchanted with their role (all under new contracts/lower pay for many) and not providing the service they used to. Return flights always seem they can't wait to turn off the lights and bed down.
We did a BA long haul and by chance it was excellent.
Be interesting to hear what others say.

We haven't flown Virgin to Orlando for a while but have used them to elsewhere in the states and preferred them to ba. We flew ba to Orlando last year and the flight was ok but found things like movie selection to be lacking and the service with Virgin was better. That being said, I much prefer flying with delta and if the price was right and the connection was ok I'd be very tempted to fly indirect to use them.

Flew VA last year and, unless there is a major price drop, we wouldn't fly again

Cabin crew just seemed to ignore us. Wasn't impressed with the food, ignored our repeated requests for a drink and the entertainment system was broken on the way back. Just glad I had a book on my iPad!

Never again

Can I ask if anyone has flown Norwegian Air?? The prices are so cheap I'm really tempted to try them

Flew with BA for the first time in June, to Seattle. Not much difference from Virgin so go with whoever is cheaper. I would say that customer service and food quality was probably a tiny bit better than Virgin, but meal portions smaller on BA. Also no afternoon snack on BA (usually get the ice cream on virgin). Instead a trolley came round selling Pringles and chedders - it was like being on Ryan Air at that point... :sad2:

We flew BA last year and I felt as if the seats were comfier and I had more leg room as I could stretch my feet under the seat in front. The only draw back we had was if you don't recline your seat back and the person in front of you does(fully all the way) its hard to see the screen and even to get out of your seat. My DH had this problem on the return flight(don't remember this being a problem on VA, maybe wrong). Food and service seemed about the same as VA. If we wanted a drink we just went up to the serving area and asked for it.

Our experience on Virgin has been poor and we usually can't complain about the BA flights we get. We've booked BA again and are now accruing BA Avios points. I wouldn't choose to fly Virgin again.

We flew BA last year and I felt as if the seats were comfier and I had more leg room as I could stretch my feet under the seat in front. The only draw back we had was if you don't recline your seat back and the person in front of you does(fully all the way) its hard to see the screen and even to get out of your seat. My DH had this problem on the return flight(don't remember this being a problem on VA, maybe wrong). Food and service seemed about the same as VA. If we wanted a drink we just went up to the serving area and asked for it.
Yes! I forgot that! The person in front of my BF put his seat right back and he couldn't see his tv at all!

i find them very similar to be honest. both have potential to be good and bad for food and staff. i'd always just go for the cheaper. if they were the same price i'd probably pick virgin but not sure why particularly!

If you fly enough i'm sure you'll have bad experiences on both unfortunately at some point, unfortunately air travel standards with cost cutting etc has gone down hill.

almost booked Norwegian for our latest trip as looks very nice and new and heard goo things about their short haul flights but the flight out was too late with young kids for us

Not much difference between the two that I can remember - which kind of breaks down to there both as bad as each other when things go wrong - these days it really is a lottery as to the service level and experience.

The only big advantage with Virgin is you can sit upstairs on the 747 for premium and economy (with a supplement) - better service and quieter less crowded cabin. I seem to remember BA only uses triple 7s now and they have that always in the way TV feed box under a lot of seats

If you want to save money I would also recommend splitting at least the outward journey (as long as the connection is decent timewise) and using deltas codeshare - often through Atlanta you can save a lot and still include a direct trip back

Last edited:
There is no way I would split a flight to save money. I'd rather wait until I can afford to do it. We used to train down to London occasionally for flights on better deals but I won't do that either now (unless our destination has no flights from Manchester). By the time I added up the extra cost it just wasn't worth it.

I have flown both airlines recently to the states from London. I usually fly premium economy for day time flights and business/first for night time.

BA is shockingly bad service wise. Long haul and short haul. I found premium economy to be more value than business and weirdly.. cleaner. They do have better prices currently but then you have to compromise on service. They are just so so rude and dirty recently. However they are more flexible should you need to change your dates and most of their tickets have a degree of flexibility.

Virgin I was very impressed with when it comes to cleanliness and service. I flew to Miami last month and the service was fantastic. The seats were so clean, food was great and the service was just amazing. The ticket price for first class for what you get was fantastic. HOWEVER they are proving to be pretty unethical around childrens school holidays. A flexi ticket in any class can run into the thousands. I booked our Easter 2018 tickets with them and regret it. Not cancellable, £300 per person to exchange.. and I found the same seats BA first class and flexible for much less. Plus I need to change dates already to extend so now I know thats £900minimum just for that. That wouldnt be the case with BA.

My husband is 6ft3 and I am 5ft10 I would say virgin has the edge in premium economy for tall people.

I have 3 WDW trips coming up. 2 I have booked BA due to the flexibility of changing bookings. 1 Virgin because of the good service that just adds to the experience.

I would say if your dates are set in stone go Virgin. If you need flexibility BA. And BA is easier for last min orlando bookings. More free seats.

We have flown both several times Gatwick to MCO and have found little to choose between them. Individual flights have varied in service levels, both have got us there! We always book the cheapest and go with that. If they were both the same price would probably pick VA, and try and book seats in the upstairs economy "bubble".

Just buy a Thomas Cook Premium seat and be creative with your dates, most likely cheaper than both VA and BA Economy prices!

I have flown both - there isn't that much in it apart from if there's a problem.

I have found after being stranded in LAX for 7 hours BA are not great at helping and giving info, We got more information from the Russian Airline at the next gate.

Now I would have said that was years ago and they might have got better; but after seeing the nightmare when their computer system went down, seems to me they haven't changed.

I will fly with them short haul and for Europe they can't be beat but, they still haven't restored my faith for long haul.

Although saying that if I could get BA flight a lot cheaper than Virgin - my need to save, can sway my allegiances :thumbsup2

Hi, I assume you are flying from lgw as Norwegian was mentioned which I will get on to later. Both ba and vs have old fleets from lgw, ba use a 777 which will take about 20 mins longer than the vs who use 747's. I personally hate airplane food, but vs looks better. In terms of service they are comparable. I have flown both many times and I always travel with whoever is cheaper. Now Norwegian. I fly them a lot around Europe and they are hands down the best airline around. They have the newest fleet in the world. They use a 787 to mco the on board entertainment and service is unmatched. Things to consider are that the cheapest price you see will not include luggage or food. All drinks on board must be purchased. There departure times are not great espcially on the return flight.

I had always been curtain that we would fly with Virgo but they don't seem to do an 11.20 ish flight anymore it seems to be around 13.00 meaning we get to Disney later and all the good king rooms will probably be gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter