Virtual Queue?

I'm confused as to how this would work. Is it just a return time to ENTER the land or a return time to get on the ride? If it's a return time to get in to SWGE, then you would still have to wait in a regular queue for the ride(s) without a Fastpass? And would they ask you to leave after a certain time period?

From the sound of the OP, it would be virtual queue just for entering the land. Which I could see, since Disney has already stated that they aren't using the same reservation process that Disneyland is using. They have to be able to control the flow of people into the land some way, and a virtual queue would prevent the area near the entrypoint from getting clogged (and blocking access for guests who want to eat at Commissary or the taproom), while also encouraging traffic into other parts of the park while people are waiting for their entry time.

it's a whole lot of speculation and wait-and-see right now, and I think they're waiting to see whether the DL plan works before making final decisions on WDW.

I was speaking to a CM at the resort on Monday and he said they don't even know yet what is going to happen at WDW
He did say what we already know, that they have told them SOMETHING is in the works but said that they are not sharing the details/specific info with anyone outside the planning team, yet.
This CM has 2 reasons to stay on top of it, #1 he has to help CL guests plan and #2, he's going opening day.

Something like Tapu Tapu would be awesome. With magic bands and having all guests using an app means they have the infrastructure to do it. They could even push a notification to your phone to let you in within a window as guests left.
Unfortunately, WDWs system would just crash. The entire FP system crashed last Saturday so no notifications could go out, you couldn't open your FP to see or change them. The only thing that worked was kiosks in the park and sadly, since those are so non-utilized now most were covered. They tried to scramble and open up what they could but only got about half of them open.
If they can't fix their infrastructure between now and then I'm not sure I want a virtual anything at WDW
And if they haven't fixed it in what, 3 years or so, I doubt they'll get it done in 3 months

The DL folks are asked to leave after a while, I think that’s a given for early after opening at HS too. They’ve said no reservations at HS ‘yet’ they haven’t ruled anything out.

A virtual queue would be excellent. As disappointing as it is that SWGE has changed (what I) expected crowd levels to be every guest has the same right to a good time. I wouldn’t wish paying $$$$ to spend 5 hours in queues in the sun on anyone.

I hope Disney takes this opportunity to improve how they manage wait times.

Something like Tapu Tapu would be awesome. With magic bands and having all guests using an app means they have the infrastructure to do it. They could even push a notification to your phone to let you in within a window as guests left.

I thought I read recently that they are giving DL guests a 4 hour time window to visit the land, and then doing a hard sweep to get everyone out before letting the next reservation in? They definitely have the logistic plans available to make that happen - there is a full sweep of MK from 6-7 on MNSSHP nights and SWGE is 1/10 the size. I could see them doing something similar with HS, but by doing a virtual queue it allows anyone showing up at HS a fair shot at getting an entry time, and HS is big enough to handle crowds milling around while waiting for their virtual queue time. I know the hotel-stay based reservations weren't going to work just due to the sheer numbers of guests staying on property at a given time across so many hotels, where DL only has to manage the guests at 3 hotels.

At universal Osaka a few years back
all guests could get a paper ticket with a return time for the wizarding world. Not sure if the US universal had the same?

It was a mad dash to the paper express pass machines at park opening to get an early one.

When your return time came you went over and the CM checked your ticket and let you into the land. Then you had to line up for Forbidden Journey if you didn’t have an express pass.

They didn’t sweep the land though, once in you could stay all day, which I hope can be improved.

That was years ago, a virtual queue for Star Wars now would not exactly be “innovative”

We did this in Osaka in 2015 - it worked really well. People could then stay as long as they wanted but with our allowed time at 3pm, we didn't find it too busy. People who had arrived at 9/10am must have wanted to leave and see other parts of the park.

As you said though not exactly innovative anymore!

I have a question about this reservation system. If they implement it at WDW, would you be given a reservation time more than 60 days prior to your vacation, so that you can coordinate that with all the FP+ that you`re booking? If not, you might suddenly have to scramble your trip plan and FPs when you find out when you can get into SWGE.

I have a question about this reservation system. If they implement it at WDW, would you be given a reservation time more than 60 days prior to your vacation, so that you can coordinate that with all the FP+ that you`re booking? If not, you might suddenly have to scramble your trip plan and FPs when you find out when you can get into SWGE.

The short and long answer is, we have no idea. We don't even know when they will announce the process for SWGE, let alone what that process will be. They have already said they will NOT be using the guaranteed reservation process that is in place for Disneyland.

The short and long answer is, we have no idea. We don't even know when they will announce the process for SWGE, let alone what that process will be. They have already said they will NOT be using the guaranteed reservation process that is in place for Disneyland.

Just speculating here, but maybe they only want to use it for Disneyland because the alternative would be PURE CHAOS. California has around one million annual pass holders, and add to that fanatical Star Wars nuts from around the globe, all determined to be the FIRST to experience the new land...:scared:

Just speculating here, but maybe they only want to use it for Disneyland because the alternative would be PURE CHAOS. California has around one million annual pass holders, and add to that fanatical Star Wars nuts from around the globe, all determined to be the FIRST to experience the new land...:scared:

I'd say that's a fair assessment :) DL has a bigger AP population, and fewer parks to absorb the crowds. Plus only 3 hotels onsite, compared to the 20? onsite hotels at WDW. They should do something to manage flow into the land at WDW, but it won't be exactly what DL uses.

I thought I read recently that they are giving DL guests a 4 hour time window to visit the land,
CORRECT
Onsite guests at Disneyland 3 hotels have received their Star Wars Galaxys Edge reservation. The reservations are in 4 hour blocks

and then doing a hard sweep to get everyone out before letting the next reservation in?
INCORRECT
The following are SWGE reservation times which the onsite Disneyland guests here on DIS have received.. As you can see there is an overlap of times, so I can confirm they are NOT doing a hard sweep before letting in the next reservation time

8am to 12pm
11am to 3pm
2pm to 6pm

CORRECT
Onsite guests at Disneyland 3 hotels have received their Star Wars Galaxys Edge reservation. The reservations are in 4 hour blocks

INCORRECT
The following are SWGE reservation times which the onsite Disneyland guests here on DIS have received.. As you can see there is an overlap of times, so I can confirm they are NOT doing a hard sweep before letting in the next reservation time

8am to 12pm
11am to 3pm
2pm to 6pm

Makes sense - but that DOESN'T preclude them from issuing color coded wristbands and sweeping the park of a group once their time has expired so that they can ensure they don't have lingerers.

To me, a virtual line is pretty much just like MaxPass at DL. Using it is was really the same at least.
And really, other than being advance vs day of, I am not sure I see a difference in FP+ and MaxPass or Virtual Lines. They all do the same thing, schedule you a time to get in line.
Biggest thing they do, you don't have to run to grab a paper ticket to guess what time will be on it (which both sucked)
I loved the paper passes! In fact, this year, I was going to go to Disneyland so that I can have the paper passes again, but then read that they don't have it anymore either. So, no Disneyland. It was great fun running all over the parks looking for paper passes! And there were almost always some paper pass to get. It was like a hunting game. I know that they will never come back, but hearing you mention it brings back loving memories. :love: Those were the days!

I loved the paper passes! In fact, this year, I was going to go to Disneyland so that I can have the paper passes again, but then read that they don't have it anymore either. So, no Disneyland. It was great fun running all over the parks looking for paper passes! And there were almost always some paper pass to get. It was like a hunting game. I know that they will never come back, but hearing you mention it brings back loving memories. :love: Those were the days!
Disneyland pretty much has paper fastpasses. It still works just like legacy FP did in WDW. Go to the machine, stick in your ticket, and it spits out a little slip with your time on it. The only difference is that ticket is now not your entry to the FP line, your park ticket is. That slip of paper is a reminder of what time your FP is for.

MaxPass is just an add on allowing you to do all of that from your phone.

I’m wondering if Disney will look at what happens in Disneyland and then potentially offer the option to reserve a slot to visit the new land when the 60 day FP window opens for onsite guests? The reservation wouldn’t be classed as a FP selection but you can make it once your selection window for your stay and only select it once for your stay.

This would be changed to 30 days for offsite guests like with normal FP selections. This would mean that only guests staying onsite who want to visit the area get a reservation. Cause and please correct me if I’m wrong on this but did everyone at Disneyland Resorts get offered a slot if they wanted it or not during the opening period?

After that I think they would run an on the day virtual line. Based on a first come first served basis splitting people across the groups.

I think that with today's announcement it pretty much kills the rumors that WDW will have any sort of reservation system. I could always be wrong but I feel they have stated from the start that WDW would NOT have one and now releasing EEMH for 2 months for 3 hours pretty much confirms that in my eyes

I agree. They may offer something but it's not going to be a reservation system like being used at DL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter