Virus's Trojans and Worms oh my!

I use Spy Sweeper, the pay for version, and love it. That, along with the pay for versions of Ad-Aware Plus, Panda and Zone Alarm do a great job.

Here's an item of interest. I use ADAWare and every other day or so I check for updates to download. This morning I downloaded their latest update--or at least I tried. It downloaded only 5% of the new file then sent an error message that the update files could be corrupted!!! When I ran Adaware, it only scanned about 30% of the usual files, then stopped. I got on the Lavasoft forum and found many others with the exact same situation--no word on how Lavasoft is going to deal with this--
Proving once again that none of these programs is fool proof or fancy free.
I may try Webroot sooner than I thought---

Thanks Alex! After trying everything to get rid of some pop-ups, I was ready to live with them. Then, when I logged off and got a message that "other people are on this computer. Do you still wish to proceed?" I kinda knew that was a bad, bad thing. :mad:

I didn't see the free trial for Spysweeper on Webroot, so I went ahead and purchased it. It found a whole bunch of spyware on my 'puter that it got rid of.

No more pop-ups, and no one else is there when I log off. :D

I sadly bought SpySweeper and I say this because it's performance falls short of the freeware of Ad Aware and Spybot.

I was using SpySweeper but my system started to process slower and slower. I uninstalled Spysweeper and added Ad Aware and Spybot has made all the difference coupled with Internet Security Suite and Firewall.

I think we should all expect to run a series of spyware programs everyday. I don't know of product that catches everything and does it automatically. Overall, I think of the Internet as a battlefield and you have to clean-up after every use...sad but true.

As a side note, I have also used Browser Hijacker Blaster in the distant past when my system became infected with a program that continually reset my homepage to an unwanted Internet site.

giving this a :bounce: since my computer was over-infected last night

Adaware 6 can't remove everything, and can no longer get updated? Has anyone downloaded the new Adaware SE?

Yes-I just did after that update fiasco they had. I just uninstalled the "old" adaware and then installed the Adaware SE. Noticed a few changes, but operates pretty much the same.
As Missionmouse said, nothing works completely and/or automatically. The Internet IS a battlefield---

PS--when I uninstalled that old Adware, I suppose I also uninstalled all the things I had in quaritine?? Anyway, computer didn't react in any adverse way, so I reckon it was OK.

I wonder if anybody can help me with my particular problem. :badpc: I use the Yahoo browser that came with my DSL provider, (SBC Yahoo!) and have clicked on the little box that says "Internet Explorer should always check to see if it is the default browser". So, whenever something is being opened in a new window, it will open in my Yahoo browser. Well, lately, everytime a new window opens, it opens in IE and IE has this strange silver searchbar with tabs on it that change depending on what site is opened. (The words on the tabs change....not the tabs themselves.) I thought this might be the lop.com infection, and have run BOTH adawareSE, Spybot search and destroy. Usually they always find things, and Spybot keeps finding something called "DSO Exploit". I have printed out the details if you need to know the file names. Supposedly it gets rid of it, but then it's back again. Also, when I go to my control panel/Internet options/ then click on the privacy tab, under the "Pop-up Blocker" section, I click on settings, and for SOME reason, under the "Allowed Sites" these 4 things are ALWAYS listed even though I get take them out each time. "Lop.com, searchweb2.com,www.lop.com, www.searchweb2.com" By the way, I should mention I'm using Windows XP home edition. I have tried all the suggestions listed in this thread; running adaware, spybot, in safe mode, and also went to my control panel and disabled system restore. But nothing seems to be working to get rid of this ROTTEN search bar! And make my browsers act the way they should, ie: open new window in YAHOO browser, NOT IE. Oh, and I also have Spyblaster running. Have ZoneAlarm Pro, as well as AVG antivirus protection. Not sure WHY these things are happening, as I THOUGHT I was as "protected" as I should be.

I understand that the LOP.com infection is VERY hard to get rid of....but when I did a search on google groups, to see what I should do....all that technical talk was greek to me and I'm afraid that I will do something to my computer to hurt it. Can anybody advise me what to do here? Thanks to anyone who replies.

Diana in CT

Can anybody advise me what to do here? Thanks to anyone who replies.

Diana in CT

Hi Diana!

I have had a lot of success by reading and posting on
these boards . Go there and read the "stuck" thread called "HiJacked Users - Start Here." Follow ALL of the steps in that thread exactly, and then post a HiJack This log for someone to analyze. It may take some time, but they are very helpful there and will "hold your hand" walking you through each step to get rid of your nasties.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out. :)

I've got a *new* problem. The other day, I ran Spybot, as I do weekly. It always brings up Wild Tangent as one of my junk files. Every time I try to delete it, I would always get error messages. So, I just left it on. But, I got fed up with whatever it is. So, I ran Spybot on Windows XP system, it picked up Wild Tangent again, and I deleted it.

Now when DH, DS, or DD log into their user icons, they get this error message:

RUNDLL

C:\ProgramFiles\WildTangent\Apps/CDA\CdaEngine0400.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Now I have deleted any trace of Wild Tangent that I can see, but obviously something is up. And why am I not getting this on my user screen?

I think I'm odd man out here, but are there any tips for good virus software out there for Mac users? I used Norton in the past, didn't really care for it, and I don't know if Panda has a Mac version (that's what's on our PC) The link to the free site was great, but again only pc users. I thought my system came with antivirus preinstalled, but I just found out, no. So I need one quick. Help!

Christine said:
I've got a *new* problem. The other day, I ran Spybot, as I do weekly. It always brings up Wild Tangent as one of my junk files. Every time I try to delete it, I would always get error messages. So, I just left it on. But, I got fed up with whatever it is. So, I ran Spybot on Windows XP system, it picked up Wild Tangent again, and I deleted it.

Now when DH, DS, or DD log into their user icons, they get this error message:

RUNDLL

C:\ProgramFiles\WildTangent\Apps/CDA\CdaEngine0400.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Now I have deleted any trace of Wild Tangent that I can see, but obviously something is up. And why am I not getting this on my user screen?

Christine,
I was getting the same error messages on our computer as well. It turns out that Wild Tangent is a program for gaming. We deleted every piece of Wild Tangent we could and continued to get error messages. We finally gave up and reinstalled it. Polar Bowl is the game that originally placed it on our computer. Even the Hijack This pros said it was only a gaming thing.

Hope that helps.

Netcraft just released an anti-phish toolbar for IE... so for those that insist on using IE or just plain like it :) You can get this toolbar that will give you information on the validity of the site you are visiting... so if you get an email you think is from the bank and really feel the need to click on the link, this toolbar will give you info about where the site is and who is hosting it, so you can tell if it is legit or not. They are going to keep a list of known fake sites (called phishing sites .. because they are "fishing for personal info") and block or warn you when you are about to go to one.

Check it out here:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2...iphishing_toolbar_available_for_download.html

and tutorial is here:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/12/29/netcraft_toolbar_tutorial.html

buyer be ware (it's free though).. I haven't installed this, because I don't use IE.. I don't work for the company either.. just thought it might help some :) YMMV (you mileage may vary)

--Heather

under the "Pop-up Blocker" section, I click on settings, and for SOME reason, under the "Allowed Sites" these 4 things are ALWAYS listed even though I get take them out each time. "Lop.com, searchweb2.com,www.lop.com, www.searchweb2.com"

Christine- Open your SpywareBlaster, click Tools,at the top right you will see Custom Blocking click it, click ADD ITEM under the box, a fill box will pop up, add [1 at a time] your four - "Lop.com, searchweb2.com,www.lop.com, www.searchweb2.com" , then check mark and click Protect Against Checked items, check your Status box on right to make sure you have everything protected. If not you may need to scan the blocked items lists to make sure there aren't any RED ITEMS that weren't check and protected against.

I have add "enhanced google search" even the Geeks were having trouble with this one and now I haven't seen it for a couple months!! I just added Gator.com!!

I installed Adaware a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to be removing anything. I check the red bugs, and the next, then remove. Then, it seems like the removal bar freezes up. The few times it did not freeze up, I restart my computer adn redo the scan, and I still have more "critical" things it has found. How do you get rid of these -- I can't seem to get rid of them for 5 minutes! I am downloading SpyBot right now.

Also, I pay my bills online. Is this Spyware getting my information, and if so, should I not shop online or pay bills online???

Ok for all who's computers hang and freeze,and your ad-aware hangs and your anti-virus hang...

Most worms,trojans,and bugs want to restart everytime you restart your Computer. The fix is to turn off the SYSTEM RESTORE.
This releases the worms,trojans,and bugs to be healed.
So,
1. click Start
2. click Control Panal
3. click System
4. click Performance
5. click File System...
6. click Troubleshooting
7. click Disable System Restore

Then
1. Download FREE AVG it is an anti-virus that HEALS files and it updates weekly to keep up with the nasty viruses
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

2. Run AVG.

3. Suspect a file? Right click on it then click SCAN with AVG

I have just downloaded SpywareBlaster- which according to www.Geeks to Go.com- stops spyware, tracking, and automatic downloads of search sites and other junk. And stops some that is already on the computer from working. IT DOES NOT SEARCH AND CLEAN.

I'll be happy if it stops the weird seach siteslike Info Search from trying to become my Only search site. I perfer Goggle!!

Well I promised to let you know how I liked SpywareBlaster.

I love it!!

It has stopped 3199 item from loading on my computer!! It stops most of the Evil search pages, bars,cometcurser,Hi-jackers and the newest evil is Dialers. It catchs all the ActiveX stuff too!!

It has stopped the Coolwebsearch -1295 item, Lop virus- 52 items and the KleenValue virus -193 items that killed my pc before to the point I had to run the recovery disks.

This is just a fraction of the stuff it stops!!

I don't have to do anything it just works, I don't have to run anything. Once a week I open it to check to see if I need to check mark any new threats that are hi-lighted red and then click Protect Against Checked Items. And If I check something that I need I can just uncheck it!!

It works with IE broswers and Mozilla.

Mozilla is an open html browser anyone can write or rewrite it to be what ever they chose even write in virus content. Be Careful!

Then download ZoneAlarm firewall for safe internet surfing.
Free ZoneAlarm download,
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10346118.html?tag=lst-0-1
ZoneAlarm will stop all hacking, and stop spyware from contacting your computer!! And best of all its simple to use!!

Now you will have a really good 3 way protected computer.

This is the 1st thing I did the minute my new computer was connected to the internet!! So far it has been very effective!!

HAPPY COMPUTING :badpc:

Many of the broadband cable and DSL ISP's are offering free (usually CA) anti-virus and firewall programs. Road Runner and Optonline (Cablevision) are two examples.

Microsoft is also offering CA programs free with one year free updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

The sites below offer free on-line scanning which may be useful if your computer is infected. The programs are updated daily and if you're infected they may pick up something the AV on your computer misses.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Moderator--Suggest you incorporate this information in your first post of this thread so it's more visible.

Is it just me imagining this, or do some of sites on the WEB that offer (or sponsor) Spyware removal also infect your computer with the actual spyware so you'll have some when you run a scan???

You are not imagining that at all. It's very true. You have to be extremely careful to only get your anti spyware software from reputable sources

Does anyone know anything about spysubtract?
I have it on 30 day free trial, and it is $29 after that, but it has just issued its own pop up offering it for $14.95! Am I right to be wary?

I trust Cnet.com for all my FREE downloads.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=SpywareBlaster&tg=dl-20&search.x=10&search.y=3

SpywareBlaster is free and it works!! It catchs All the bad junk.

"CoolwebSearch has 1316 different search pages!!" SpywareBlaster stopped all 1316 from installing on my new christmas computer. I had the worst trouble on the old computer with "kleenValue" and "Lop.com all 62 of their sites" locking up my computer. And something called Dialers. So, I added the word Dialers into the "Customize the Block List". It stops hundreds of dialer! It has even stopped the spyware DoubleClick and the other click sites,too.

It works as they try to get on your computer. It stops them cold!! And blocks them from Ever getting on your computer again. And all you have to do is update it once a week and click protect all!!

If you find you are still getting a pesty websites just added them to "Customize the Block List" and click protect all!!

Your computer is now Protected from all the bad spyware!! It is just so easy!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!