Visiting the parks during marathon weekend and doing races?

irishtwins1112

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am doing the Goofy this year. I feel pretty good about pace for the races and all but have been working towards a touring plan that doesn't over do me before the races. This is what I have so far:
Wednesday-Drive down (8-10 hours......with 2 toddlers :sad2:), hit the expo, Bomas for supper
Thursday-8am EMH at MK until 9:30. Then head to kids races ( mine are doing the 100m....I think they start at 11). 1:15 Crystal palace lunch ressie then finish out the day at MK. This will probably be our only full park day. Should I still run this day? I think a 20 minute run is on my schedule.
Friday-Open MK and leave by noon to head towards our resort and relax there all afternoon.
Saturday-Half Marathon should be done before 10. Then head to resort to shower and change. Lunch ressie at 1900 park fare for 11:55. Then Fp+ booked for HS between 1:30 and 4pm. Leave to head back to hotel after last fp. Relax.
Sunday-Marathon should be done before 1:30. Head back to hotel and shower. Kids and hubs will have been in Epcot all morning waiting for me. Back to Epcot for Dinner at either Garden Grill or Coral Reef.
Monday-Tusker House for brunch followed by AK for a few hours. Once done there may hop a little if the kids want to re do some things.
Tuesday-Drive Home

I also considered not doing a park on half marathon day(to give my legs a little rest after the half) and using that days ticket on the Tuesday we leave to come home. Maybe we could use the last day to do all the favorites to tire out the kids before we start our journey. I know I need to "keep moving" on half marathon day to keep all that stiffness and soreness from setting in but I could do that around AKL....looking at animals and stuff. Maybe get in the pool (if it isn't too cold). Feel free to critique my plan. I would love to get some opinions.pirate:

I also considered not doing a park on half marathon day(to give my legs a little rest after the half) and using that days ticket on the Tuesday we leave to come home.

I agree with that.

Remember that it takes time to get over to the kid races area, and I believe they are all held allll the way in the back of the complex. Once that's done you then have to walk allll the way back to the car or bus, and it seems to take a bit of time to get out of there (up against the car traffic or waiting for a bus), and then you'll have to get over to MK for your reservation. With my family, I know we would never get to that reservation on Thursday because it takes us longer to do everything that it takes normal people. :)

Ok. We have revised our plan. We are no longer doing a park on Saturday after the half. Going to go down a day early and do half a day Wednesday, then kids races and MK after on Thursday but nothing in the morning. Then another half day on Friday morning at DHS (what we had planned for the afternoon on Saturday). I think that will be more reasonable. Thanks for the input.

I would suggest that you add back in some park time after the race. You will likely be sore, but it is best to keep moving. You will feel much better over the following days if you do. :thumbsup2

Edit: Oops! Just noticed that you are doing Goofy. Forget my advice and good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter