Voicemail is for dinosaurs?

True but the other choice is that when we pull the service they go into a tailspin. The response that gets me is "you need to text" me... my reply is "you need to pay your bill on time!"
Oh I know but it really won't matter what industry you're in. Peeps don't like to be contacted for back money they owe-be that phone, text, e-mail or snail mail.

Couldn't tell you how many excuses I heard regarding late fees, cancellations people wanted reversed, etc when I was working at the insurance company (auto/home). Or the amount of people who just paid the minimum needed to not get their policy cancelled only to get the same notice of pending cancellation the next month because they were still behind. And legally notices of cancellation had to be sent out in snail mail.

There were times where the agent would call us telling us it was their fault the policy got cancelled because they were supposed to call their client and remind them to pay. While I think that's a nice gesture..come on it's still the client's responsibility to pay a bill and on time. Ain't gonna get that insurance for free YKWIM?

I'm more or less saying excuses for not paying bills will still occur no matter if you texted the client or not, whether you called the client or not, whether you e-mailed the client or not, whether you sent them a physical bill or not. Some excuses will be valid but many won't lol.

Look, I text a lot, use my cell phone pretty exclusively. Not professionally - that's mostly email and phone/voicemail because that is the nature of my business and what I do so my company doesn't provide one - but its usually with me. And yes, it did start when my dd was in school because I gave them that number to call for emergencies.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur (I tried to use CASH to buy a cup of coffee today - you would have thought I was trying to rob the place!) but that makes me more flexible, not less. I have learned that I have to be the one to accommodate differing generations, cultures (I live in an area that is extremely multicultural) and economic statuses. Not everyone has an iPad. Not everyone used their cell phone to the best capacity. With 200,000 student, I really don't want my tax dollars to focus on making sure each parent is communicated with based on THEIR preference. Many of my neighbors work in our neighborhood elementary school, and they have enough to worry about without that.

I have friends and relatives that use all sorts of communication methods. If I don't like their preferred method, I either choose to use it, or choose to not communicate with them. Likewise, they would have the same choice for me, if I had only one way I would accept outside communication. If someone is important to me, I let their communication preference take preference over mine. My child at school is important, so I figure out how to make what they have available work. If I hated VM (and I really don't use) I'd set it up on whatever number I give my school for emergency contact. In a situation where I knew that I couldn't answer a call but could get a text, it's pretty easy to ask the next person on your contact list to take the call and text me. Or if #2 was a parent, then maybe they should be moved to #1 and take the responsibility of texting you.
I wish people would quit taking that quote out of context. Again, no one has said that parents should be contacted only by their preferred way. What’s being said is that school systems should come into this century and should be able to utilize EVERY possible way to contact a parent if a child is hurt. If they can notify us about Hat Day by every possible way, surely it would not be hard to implement a system where a text would auto go out with a phone call. That particular post was saying sometimes people can’t answer their phones but they can take a quick peek at a text. They were pointing out that it would be useful not that they prefer it.

I’m a millenial. Voicemail is pointless to me.

If someone doesn’t pick up, I’ll text them either to call me or what I wanted to say. That’s usually what anyone who calls me does. If someone leaves me a voice mail, my iphone will transcript it for me.

Text over calling anyday!

If someone doesn’t pick up, I’ll text them either to call me or what I wanted to say. That’s usually what anyone who calls me does. If someone leaves me a voice mail, my iphone will transcript it for me.

And this is why millennials are socially retarded; lack of actual human contact.

You may get the words with your VM transcription, but you're missing the timbral cues that provide emotional content.

And this is why millennials are socially retarded; lack of actual human contact.

You may get the words with your VM transcription, but you're missing the timbral cues that provide emotional content.
I’m not sure what emotion is needed to be conveyed when asking if I want to pick up an extra shift at the hospital. Besides robocalls, those are the only voicemails I get.

I most of my talking in person :)

Personally I have voicemail but it is converted to a text message (sometimes more successfully than others) and texted to me so I can read it. If the translation is not accurate or seems off I can still choose to listen to it.

Professionally I still get a lot of calls with voicemail and that isn't going away any time soon though I communicate with email and Slack mostly when I'm talking to direct reports.

One would truly hope you interact with at least some people in day to day lives.

Your comment seems like you view that people are in completely and utter silence when interacting with the world, including one's own parents/guardians.

Since the person you quoted is identified as "TheDisneyNurse" there's a reasonable assumption that they do talk A LOT in their profession. Many brief conversations can be handled by text without emotion content and cues. Socially Retarded is a bit strong and offensive.

I hate voicemail and rarely check it. I'm 45 and work in IT. Email/ text is just way more convenient. If something gets complicated I put it into an email. I will call as a last resort. If i get no answer i will text them that I called and ask when they'll be around to answer their phone.

actually if you read through the thread, there is a whole heap of over 40's who are Gen X NOT millennial who have responded saying they dont use voicemail and prefer text.

move with the times or get left behind, embrace the new technology or YOU will be the one who is isolated

I have to admit that I don't want to "move with the times or get left behind". I am not in isolation. I like to hear voices. I like that there are no misunderstandings in real phone conversations over texting. I shop in stores more than online. We as a society are cutting out human contact. Are we really moving forward?

I have to admit that I don't want to "move with the times or get left behind". I am not in isolation. I like to hear voices. I like that there are no misunderstandings in real phone conversations over texting. I shop in stores more than online. We as a society are cutting out human contact. Are we really moving forward?
No one method of communication (verbal face to face or over the phone/skype, e-mail, texting, even snail mail) over another is going to eliminate misunderstandings lol.

I shop in stores too; I also order online and have it shipped to the store often because that's free. Can't help it if the Home Depots around me within a 100mile radius don't carry the concrete/masonry/wood sealer that has amazing reviews, is inexpensive and is easy to apply. I would have much rather walked in the store and picked it up rather than waiting 9 days. As is I ordered it,sent it to the store and picked it up from their lockers they have at the entrance to their stores and I have zero regrets on that :) I also order online and have it for in-store pick up because Petsmart gives me a 10-15% discount for doing so and it's ready to be picked up within 1-2hrs. I also did that with Michaels several weeks ago-a 40% off coupon available only online where I ordered it and had in-store pick up within 1-2 hrs, went to the framing area and picked up my order and on my way.

"move with the times" doesn't mean a negative for all things; it's not all doom and gloom.

I’m Gen X and I do the same, what does that make me? How many millennials do you know? I know quite a few and they’re pretty socially adept. You may as well have quoted that post and said “Get off my lawn!”

You have never had a phone conversation with my mother, lol. It’s a taken out of context/misunderstanding free for all. We get along much better through text message.

I’m Gen X and I do the same, what does that make me? How many millennials do you know? I know quite a few and they’re pretty socially adept. You may as well have quoted that post and said “Get off my lawn!”
Even the grouchy old man who lives in the cul-de-sac next to mine who is similar enough to "get off my lawn" mentality it's doubtful he would use "socially retarded" to describe a human being who's flaw is preferring a different method of communication.

I do have voicemail set up on my cell as our parents and grandparents even if they have a cell phone actually use it as a phone and don't text. Work required that we set up voicemail at our desk. Each year the school sends home forms for parents to complete to have up to date contact info, medical info and pickup permission information. It clearly states that a telephone call will be used in a emergency to contact parents and to ensure that the primary contact person is available by phone during school hours. Texting is NOT an option as all calls from the school will be coming from the school landline. Email is also requested as teachers will use it to group email the class thing like homework and special events in class, but not for emergencies. I have 3 numbers listed (cell, desk & home) and the school phone number is in my contacts, so any missed call from the school will show up with a notification on the screen that the school call and the time, even if caller doesn't leave a voicemail. The school does have an email option in addition to the school attendance phone line to inform the school if you child will be absent that day. I always email the school and the teacher to inform them if DD9 will be away as I am less likely to get a busy signal. The attendance call back is done by parent vo

I don’t have a work cell phone.
No way I’m using my personal phone for work calls.
Agrees. Only one person at work has my cell number and it's my direct manager. He uses it very sparingly to contact me. I only gave it to him as I trust he would not abuse having it as it is my personal phone not paid for by the company. After 13 years of keeping his word I don't mind him using it occasionally when he is on the road and texting is easier or I'm at work while on company wifi not using my data. I know other managers and companies would take advantage of having the number and that is why I never gave it out at my previous job.

You have never had a phone conversation with my mother, lol. It’s a taken out of context/misunderstanding free for all. We get along much better through text message.

Glad I am not the only one, I was just about to post this same thing. My mom and I have so many misunderstandings and things taken out of context when we speak with one another, I don't even know how it happens most of the time, but there we are, and feelings are hurt, and it is just very stressful. When we text, I can more carefully choose my words, and take a few extra minutes to respond that I wouldn't have if I were just leaving her sitting there in silence at the other end of the phone, and everything is so much more harmonious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter