Volcano Bay Water Park solo?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever done Volcano Bay or any other water park solo?

I just find the whole idea of doing a water park solo so much more awkward than doing a theme park solo. Like the rides with the rubber rings / doughnuts that seat like 4/6 people and your sharing with a family of 4 and your on your one or even worse sticking out like a sore thumb getting into one on your own.

I haven’t gone to Volcano Bay but I have done Disney water parks solo multiple times. The big family slide at BB, they made me wait until other people came to ride it. The Miss Adventure Falls at TL - one time they let me go alone the other time I had to go with others. Most water parks only have one of those family slides so you can just skip it.

Much rather be floating around a lazy river then standing in noisy pool at resort.

I just find the whole idea of doing a water park solo so much more awkward than doing a theme park solo. Like the rides with the rubber rings / doughnuts that seat like 4/6 people and your sharing with a family of 4 and your on your one or even worse sticking out like a sore thumb getting into one on your own.

Hey, there. I haven't done Volcano Bay, but I have been at the Disney water parks solo, most recently Blizzard Beach (just last week). I had an amazing time. People there are very friendly I have found. I chatted with lots of people from other countries, who seem to really love the water parks. BB offers a great opportunity to chat on the chair lift. If you don't want to chat, that's cool too. There is nothing more serene than a float down a lazy river. It's really not that different than doing a theme park solo. Now, I did not do the "family raft ride" though I have in the past. They will try to find someone to go with you. Groups of two are often paired anyway, though maybe that's less weird. BB only has the one, so I just didn't worry about it. FYI, they will not let you ride those alone - the tube must be weighted with I think at least 3 people. Anyway, if you want to go, I say go. Don't worry about anyone thinking anything and just have fun!

Thanks BrianL some good points especially about them not letting me do the tunes alone which is good :)

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the family. They are probably happy to just get 1 person instead of an extra 2 or 3 in their raft.

100% no one will even give it a second thought. For all they know you have a big group that can't find in the same tube or even people that don't want to do the ride.

Also how does everyone deal with the pool issue at your hotel? What I mean is theirs all families and kids in the hotel pool having a good time and then theirs me this guy in early 30s just in the pool on his own looking awkward without anyone else. And then when finished in the pool goes back to his sun lounger on his own looking so awkward with the family and friends around me.

I’m usually a solo traveller and sometimes travel with family who can do slides / active stuff much anyway. I was disappointed when I went to TL and years ago Wet n wild when there were slides I couldn’t slide because I went when the parks were so quiet (winter) that there was no one else to ride with. That’s the only problem I’ve found doing water parks solo. Similar problem once on a windy disney cruise when they kept putting the 2 riders required sign up. I’m going to try again on my next trip and hope that I’ve timed it better (more crowds but not crazy crowds). I say just go for it and enjoy yourself. Families are usually too wrapped up in their own worlds to worry about the odd solo person.

Also how does everyone deal with the pool issue at your hotel? What I mean is theirs all families and kids in the hotel pool having a good time and then theirs me this guy in early 30s just in the pool on his own looking awkward without anyone else. And then when finished in the pool goes back to his sun lounger on his own looking so awkward with the family and friends around me.

It mostly looks awkward if you feel awkward. But as a guy, I completely get what you mean. I don't usually use hotel pools at WDW, although occasionally I have used the hot tub to relax if it's not too hot out. As far as people know, your family might be taking a nap in the room and you decided to use the time to enjoy the resort amenities.

I do find the water parks to be a lot more relaxed if I'm a solo traveler. The parks are so much bigger, you could be in the lazy river all afternoon not staring at the same people. You've probably not noticed who else is around and if you did, you've forgotten about them in the crowd.

Keep in mind that even families at water parks aren't all on the same page with what they like to see/do. For all anyone knows, you are with a group that doesn't like large slides/slides with floats/anything but wave pools and lazy rivers, etc. Don't think too much into it, as most others are not either!

In VB you will be in with others for the water coaster and the 2 six-seater slides. It is not a problem. Went with my friend who spent her time in the rivers instead of doing slides.

I don't usually take advantage of resort swimming pools because as a solo adult, I just...don't really know what to do with it? It's weird; as a kid I could be endlessly entertained by swimming even if I was in the pool by myself, but as an adult it's just like "...okay, and now I'm standing in water." And then I swim a lap or two, decide that yes, I am bored, and get out of the pool. Water parks are a whole different beast since there are attractions to try out and things to keep me on the move. That being said, the sun lounger solo is not something I have a problem with, maybe because the only times I've ever had the opportunity to sit down and relax in one is when I'm solo. And, too, a book in one hand and a drink in the other keeps me occupied enough to not care if someone has noticed that I'm alone (and most of the time they won't--people generally don't care what the other guests are doing unless it impacts them directly).

This thread is making me want to upgrade my ticket and go to one of the water parks even though I don't feel like I particularly have time for that. :p It's a January trip, though, so I'd need to wait and see how the weather is anyway.

I just did Volcano Bay (not solo) - itya great water park.
There was a family slide that the three of us didn’t weigh enough for - we have to wait for another small group so we could ride together (total weight had to be at least 400 pounds). We would have been happy to have you there so we could ride :)

I’m going to Universal for a few days before a work conference and had the same feelings. I have a fear of getting stuck in a raft with teenage boys on one of the big raft rides. 😱😱 The horror.

I do VB solo frequently. It is not an issue. I get put with a couple on water coaster and with a smaller group on the family raft rides. There is no issue at the pool either. No one cares. You are really over thinking this!

Yes I have, and I will do waterparks solo. Only once in VB there was a group of people, maybe a family that didnt wanted me to join with their raft. No problem, I got in the second one.

Every trip, we visit Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Discovery Cove and Aquatica. Although Im with my family, I might as well be solo. They all ditch me to watch their stuff on the lounge chair, eventually hubby will come back and I go off to the lazy rivers for a while and some slides. Ive even joined an odd man out of a family in line near me. They dont care, as they need another rider just to go on.

Other than having someone to watch my things, Im really all alone and its no problem at all. Nobody bats an eye and I have a lot of fun!

Just remember, many people at the water parks and theme parks are there with small children. They take turns using rider swap ( one parent goes on ride, other waits with child.) So there are tons of ' solo' people on rides and in the pools. I travel with my two children to Disney by ourselves often, we have chatted with many solo travelers in lines, at pools etc. Small tip, talk to the parent only ( as in, do not speak directly to any children) until you are in a conversation for a bit. As a mom a huge red flag would go up if a solo guy started chatting with my 10 year old or 1 year old. When my husband travels with us we use rider swap, he has gone on several rides alone on various trips and always ends up chatting in line. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!