Volunteering at Give Kids the World: A Primer

We just got our assignment from GKTW for our December trip. We are doing 2shifts the same day cause I guess it is expensive for the background checks. We are excited and planning on taking a taxi

Has anyone done this with kids? My 12 yo daughter is very interested in GKTW and this is something I would love to do with her.

Dave Parfitt, senior DIS correspondent, has brought his two girls before. I know that the rules are a little bit stricter when you have kids help out. You'd really need to call GKTW for more specifics though.

It was AMAZING! I brought my 18 yr old niece with me and the experience was truly magical for us both...and we formed close connections with the children/ families, some of which we now follow on Facebook.

Planning to make GKTW a yearly trip- love being a "voluntourist" and giving back...if you are on the fence, go for it. It will be one of those life changing events that you will remember with fondness for years to come. :goodvibes

Just wanted to know, for planning purposes, if there are tolls to get to GKTW from WDW and about how much they are. Thanks!

Just wanted to know, for planning purposes, if there are tolls to get to GKTW from WDW and about how much they are. Thanks!

There are no tolls between GKTW and WDW. We volunteered there in September and it was a very easy ride from the WL to GKTW. I will add that we went on a Sunday and were there by 7:30am, so there was almost no traffic.

There are no tolls between GKTW and WDW. We volunteered there in September and it was a very easy ride from the WL to GKTW. I will add that we went on a Sunday and were there by 7:30am, so there was almost no traffic.

Thanks! I'll be going with the Dis group on a Friday in December so I am expecting to hit some traffic for our 7:30am report time. Glad to hear there aren't tolls. I have been saving my quarters for the last few months.

Thanks! I'll be going with the Dis group on a Friday in December so I am expecting to hit some traffic for our 7:30am report time. Glad to hear there aren't tolls. I have been saving my quarters for the last few months.

I think you will enjoy it. We helped in the Gingerbread house in the morning and then went to help in Katie's Kitchen in the afternoon. Everyone was very appreciative, from the staff to the guests. We will definitely do it again in the future.

My daughter and I will be working at the Gingerbread house in Feb. 20th and we are both so looking forward to it. Thanks to the Dis for introducing this to us!!
Cheryl:)

My daughter and I will be working at the Gingerbread house in Feb. 20th and we are both so looking forward to it. Thanks to the Dis for introducing this to us!!
Cheryl:)

How exciting! Be sure to let us know how it goes!! :)

My 13 year old son and I will be volunteering at GKTW over spring break. I was going to get tshirts from their website before we go to wear while we're there. When I went to check out, I was shocked that the cost to ship 2 tshirts and a hat was over $22!!:scared1: Has anyone ordered from their shop? Why are the shipping charges so ridiculous?:confused3

Laurie

My 13 year old son and I will be volunteering at GKTW over spring break. I was going to get tshirts from their website before we go to wear while we're there. When I went to check out, I was shocked that the cost to ship 2 tshirts and a hat was over $22!!:scared1: Has anyone ordered from their shop? Why are the shipping charges so ridiculous?:confused3

Laurie

I have purchased items from their shop before, but don't remember S & H being very high. You could always buy the items from the store at the village when on break, if you get there early.

Thanks so much for this information, Nikki!
10.gif

Just wanted to mention that I volunteered with my 13 year old at the pool and ice cream parlor during our vacation over Easter week. It was a terrific experience for both of us and one I plan to make a regular part of our Disney trips. My son had a blast and the kids visiting GKTW really seemed to enjoy interacting with a kid their age. Thanks, DIS, for bringing this great organization to my attention!!!!

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!