Volunteering at Give Kids the World: A Primer

DW and I are doing a shift on 11/10. Then we're running in the Gingerbread Run 5K at the village on 11/14. Anyone else going to be there?

This is an old thread, but I just learned about this place. I was wondering if there is housing there for volunteers within walking distance? Also, do you have to volunteer for a certain amount of time? I think my daughter would love to do this! But she is too young to rent a car and we live out of state so she would have to fly (she is in college).

I was wondering if there is housing there for volunteers within walking distance? Also, do you have to volunteer for a certain amount of time?
There are motels along 192 that aren't terribly far away but still a pretty significant walk.

Volunteer shifts are in the 2-3 hour range. You could book back to back shifts I'm sure if you want to be there longer.

There are motels along 192 that aren't terribly far away but still a pretty significant walk.

Volunteer shifts are in the 2-3 hour range. You could book back to back shifts I'm sure if you want to be there longer.

Oh Thanks, I guess I meant "days". Like can you volunteer for one day? Or do they want a week commitment?

Oh Thanks, I guess I meant "days". Like can you volunteer for one day? Or do they want a week commitment?
Oh. It is job and shift based. You can do as many or as few as you like. We've gone for just one 3-hour shift while we were in town. If you want to do more you certainly can but there's no requirement.

Oh. It is job and shift based. You can do as many or as few as you like. We've gone for just one 3-hour shift while we were in town. If you want to do more you certainly can but there's no requirement.

Oh that sounds wonderful! We go to Disney every year and it sounds like a nice thing to add in to our vacation time. Thank you so much! I need to read more about this.

Oh that sounds wonderful! We go to Disney every year and it sounds like a nice thing to add in to our vacation time. Thank you so much! I need to read more about this.
It's a great thing to do. Everyone there is really nice and the families are so appreciative of the volunteers. We've been there twice and will probably go again when we're there in July.

You can read all about the volunteer process and see the opportunities that are available here:http://gktw.org/volunteer/index.php

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top so I can discover it! I have friends who just stayed at GKTW last month with their daughter for her MAW trip and they had such an amazing time (pic included below) I really want to try to volunteer for a shift on a future trip to Florida. I appreciate all the information!

13325658_10209660254568687_4585464630310410978_n.jpg

Last edited:
DW, DD, and I will be working at the village on 7/20 when we are down for the DIS Mega Meet. We're all looking forward to being there again.

I really want to try to volunteer for a shift on a future trip to Florida.

1) ALL volunteers are welcome, ALL the time.
2) Even for a single shift of 2-4 hours or a even full day.
3) As your friends can attest, the guest families really enjoy themselves an appreciate the volunteers.
. . . most of us who are unaffected by such illnesses, cannot imagine what these families go through
. . . to have a pleasant vacation, it such a blessing to the guest families
. . . plus, except for SOME certain souvenirs, they pay ZERO for the vacation at the Village
. . . and, those who haven't volunteered cannot imagine the feeling of warmth WE get from volunteering

NOTE:
Just make sure to go to the http://gktw.org/volunteer/index.php website and register (on-line) as a volunteer.
NO ONE can help until GKTW runs a background check.
With all the kids, they do have to take precautions.

Last edited:
We are in town for the DIS mega meet. We are heading to GKTW today. I'll be in Katie's Kitchen. DW and DD will be in the castle. I'll post later with a report.
Will look forward to reading it. Have an awesome day with some awesome kids and their families!

I'll be in Katie's Kitchen.

1) It s always nice to meet fellow DIS'ers.
2) Unfortunately, at Katie's Kitchen, we are actually working, and have little time to chat. :mad:
3) When you are on the Cafeteria Line, people don't see why they should wait for food, so we can talk. :)

1) It s always nice to meet fellow DIS'ers.
2) Unfortunately, at Katie's Kitchen, we are actually working, and have little time to chat. :mad:
3) When you are on the Cafeteria Line, people don't see why they should wait for food, so we can talk. :)
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. We didn't see any other DIS'ers but didn't expect to either.
Katie's had bursts of activity but a lot of downtime too. I didn't really talk too much with the other volunteers. They all seemed to be regulars who knew each other so I was kind of the odd one out.
And most definitely, first priority was taking care of the guests, not chatting with each other.

DW and DD had a great time in the Castle. They were doing the wish pillow distribution and the stars. They got to interact with the families a lot more than I did but I knew that would happen. Next time we go I'll have to sign up for something with more people interaction. So far I've driven the tram around the village, done food delivery, and now this, none of which had much interaction, though still all important jobs.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. We didn't see any other DIS'ers but didn't expect to either.
Katie's had bursts of activity but a lot of downtime too. I didn't really talk too much with the other volunteers. They all seemed to be regulars who knew each other so I was kind of the odd one out.
And most definitely, first priority was taking care of the guests, not chatting with each other.

DW and DD had a great time in the Castle. They were doing the wish pillow distribution and the stars. They got to interact with the families a lot more than I did but I knew that would happen. Next time we go I'll have to sign up for something with more people interaction. So far I've driven the tram around the village, done food delivery, and now this, none of which had much interaction, though still all important jobs.
Thanx for the update, Steve. And no job, no matter how "small" is unimportant, as you pointed out. YOU are special because YOU were there, and YOU did it, so that makes the "small" job "special". Having been in the "service and public service" arena my entire life, I know how important the "backstage and small job" folks are, believe me! Even the tallest, most majestic-looking buildings have to have strong foundations to be built on!! :cheer2::banana:

Thanx for the update, Steve. And no job, no matter how "small" is unimportant, as you pointed out. YOU are special because YOU were there, and YOU did it, so that makes the "small" job "special". Having been in the "service and public service" arena my entire life, I know how important the "backstage and small job" folks are, believe me! Even the tallest, most majestic-looking buildings have to have strong foundations to be built on!! :cheer2::banana:
I totally agree. I wasn't knocking what I did at all. I would just like to do something with more people interaction next time around. Trust me, as a long-time board member at our temple, I'm well aware of how important the backstage stuff is.

I totally agree. I wasn't knocking what I did at all. I would just like to do something with more people interaction next time around. Trust me, as a long-time board member at our temple, I'm well aware of how important the backstage stuff is.
Oh - I knew you weren't, and you know how important that stuff is, that's why I consider you a friend! I just wanted you to know how important I thought your role was, and how awesome I think you are, and it is, to volunteer your time at such a wonderful place!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!