Volunteering at Give Kids the World: A Primer

I would just like to do something with more people interaction next time around

1) NO PROBLEM.
2) If we are working (always the 3rd Wednesday of the month), we will find a spot for you on our volunteer team.
3) It would be either Katie's Kitchen or Ice Cream Parlor, as we "own" these on OUR nights.

I'm new to the DIS Boards...but I am so loving that y'all support GKTW. My awesome hubby stayed at GKTW about a year after it originally opened! His brother has cerebral palsy and was granted a GKTW trip by Indiana Make-A-Wish back in the mid 80s. Hubby's memories of GKTW are are some of his most treasured memories...it was one of the only times he can remember having the freedom to run and play like a normal child without having to tend to his brother and not having to worry about having food because his parents had to spend all of their money on his brother's medication.

We spent 12 glorious days at WDW last summer on our Magical Disneymoon. One of those days was spent off-property at GKTW volunteering. It was a joyful return for my hubby and a meaningful time for me to thank the program that had given the world (if only for a week) to my hubby all those many years before.

Thank you, DIS-verse and Dreams Unlimited Travel, for your ongoing support of this amazing program.

Sparkle on...
Janeal

I'm new to the DIS Boards...but I am so loving that y'all support GKTW. My awesome hubby stayed at GKTW about a year after it originally opened! His brother has cerebral palsy and was granted a GKTW trip by Indiana Make-A-Wish back in the mid 80s. Hubby's memories of GKTW are are some of his most treasured memories...it was one of the only times he can remember having the freedom to run and play like a normal child without having to tend to his brother and not having to worry about having food because his parents had to spend all of their money on his brother's medication.

We spent 12 glorious days at WDW last summer on our Magical Disneymoon. One of those days was spent off-property at GKTW volunteering. It was a joyful return for my hubby and a meaningful time for me to thank the program that had given the world (if only for a week) to my hubby all those many years before.

Thank you, DIS-verse and Dreams Unlimited Travel, for your ongoing support of this amazing program.

Sparkle on...
Janeal
@SunbeamJaneal - Welcome, hope you'll stick around. I became aware of GKTW since starting to watch the podcast about 3 or so years ago, and have supported this wonderful charity ever since then, so I also give thanx for the DIS for opening my eyes to the incredible charity. Thanx for your putting a huge smile on my face, with your story. May you and your hubby have a long, happy, HEALTHY life together!!

Last edited:
I would just like to do something with more people interaction next time around. Trust me, as a long-time board member at our temple, I'm well aware of how important the backstage stuff is.

Whereas, I would enjoy a more removed position from the spotlight, initially, to gauge a sense of the environment. Stay tuned.

Whereas, I would enjoy a more removed position from the spotlight, initially, to gauge a sense of the environment. Stay tuned.

1) For the most part, volunteers work with the guest families and the ill children in some capacity.
2) Backstage services/functions are typically handled by paid GKTW employees.
. . . volunteers are quickly and easily trained
. . . these are functions that can have volunteers added or subtracted based upon the needs that day and even that hour
. . . backstage functions are competed pretty much the same all the time, and can perform the function without training or supervision

1) For the most part, volunteers work with the guest families and the ill children in some capacity.
2) Backstage services/functions are typically handled by paid GKTW employees.
. . . volunteers are quickly and easily trained
. . . these are functions that can have volunteers added or subtracted based upon the needs that day and even that hour
. . . backstage functions are competed pretty much the same all the time, and can perform the function without training or supervision

I just found an e-mail from them from last month (I think it got put into my junk mail). I am not sure if it was from you, but the name was what I consider unique.

Is there any way to get a brief tour and sense of how the operation works?

We just booked our volunteer shifts for our visit in November. I'm going to operate JJ's Train ride. I haven't been a ride operator yet. DW did the Carousel one time. She and DD are going to do the Castle again this time. They really enjoyed that before.

I'm sure if you contact them, they can do that

1) HINT: WE WANT ALL THE VOLUNTEERS WE CAN GET - EVEN IF FOR ONLY ONE DAY DURING YOUR VACATION.
2) GKTW always can find something for you to do to help TERMINALLY ILL kids and their families.
. . . some volunteer jobs require a day-or-two of training (like running the rides and attractions)
. . . other jobs can be taught on-the-spot
. . . the feeling of helping kids and their families to enjoy a vacation is food-for-the-soul
3) It should also be noted that
. . . this is a vacation for the sick child or children
. . . but, it is even more of a vacation for the parents
. . . parents of terminal kids work HARD every day for their kid(s)
. . . at GKTW, the parents get to relax
4) I cannot tell you how many parents expressed appreciation for allowing THEM to be free to enjoy a vacation !!!
. . . sometimes, I start to tear-up on the way home from an evening of volunteering
. . . and, I am not the "weeping kind"

Last edited:
My family and I have volunteered at GKTW four times. Each shift brought more magic than any ride or show ever could. I tried four different roles, and one of my favorites was working the princess salon where I painted nails, applied makeup and airbrush tattoos on little girls. It was almost like working at the Bibbidi Boppidi Boutique! Another time, my mom and I worked the dessert station at a restaurant. We took it upon ourselves to make Mickey Ear whipped cream ears on the pies to create some magic for the families. The resort is a wonderful place full of smiles and excitement with an underlying sadness. While families were having fun and making memories, you could see the exhaustion and pain in some of the parents. It broke my heart. I encourage anyone to volunteer if you have the means of getting there. Take some time to give back to the kiddos who need the magic most of all. :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts