Vow Renewal (low key)

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the Poly in July to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We thought briefly about having a vow renewal through Disney’s Weddings on the Poly Beach. We decided against it for two reasons, first, the minimum cost for something small, 4 people total, is $3,500 for only one hour, which for us is a lot after spending $12,000 for our vacation. Second, we really want something more private and intimate within our family without onlookers and an officiant. We thought about gathering the 4 of us on the beach and exchanging vows on our own, but I read somewhere that it would be prohibited. I do not want to break rules or make waves. So I’m thinking about doing it in our room or on the patio.

We already have reservations for two at Narcoossees. I will be wearing a long chiffon dress, and my husband will probably be wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. I realize that we might stand out since even though Narcoossees is an expensive signature restaurant, people still show up in shorts and t-shirts from the parks. We would go to Victoria and Alberts which is more formal, but we prefer the food and gorgeous views at Narcoossees.

I would love some feedback about my plans. If anyone can help me with ideas of what the Polynesian might offer as far as an Anniversary celebration, I would appreciate it. 25 years together is a big deal, and I want it to be special.

Congratulations on 25 years & continuing on together!
I have no direct experience with what you are looking to do & I do agree with you that $3500 is extreme for a simple "ceremony".
It seems that your small group could find a nice location, either inside or outside the restaurant to say some nice words. I bet you can even do it in less than an hour!
People get engaged at Disney all the time without Disney needing to be notified.
Why would/should this be any different?

There is no prohibition against doing an in-room ceremony, although some of Disney's preferred officiants will not do it because they could be dropped from the list. But there are tons of officiants in Orlando. And you can wear wedding attire of any kind—even a full-on ball gown—anywhere at the resorts. The only place they can stop you is at the gates to the parks.

You can call Private DIning at the Polynesian to find out what sort of special edible treats they offer—it's usually things like chocolate-covered strawberries or truffles. They can also do simple cakes, or you can contact the Grand Floridian to have a fancy fondant cake made and deliveed to your resort room: https://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/

Disney Floral & Gifts can help you with flowers and gift basket delivery: http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/home.do?rel=https://www.google.com/

And these two episodes of my podcast are full of other ideas for celebrating an anniversary at WDW:

How To Plan A Walt Disney World Honeymoon: Part 1

How To Plan A Walt Disney World Honeymoon: Part 2

You could also rent a pontoon boat and do it on the water out on a nice evening or even early in the morning. That way its away (mostly) from prying eyes and can be something simple and easy. I believe you can even have private dining arrange for there to be food on the boat (something small like a cake or chocolate covered strawberries). That way its something a *little* more elegant than in your room but won't make waves with Disney.

You could also rent a pontoon boat and do it on the water out on a nice evening or even early in the morning. That way its away (mostly) from prying eyes and can be something simple and easy. I believe you can even have private dining arrange for there to be food on the boat (something small like a cake or chocolate covered strawberries). That way its something a *little* more elegant than in your room but won't make waves with Disney.
Oooo I would do this, it’s not very expensive, private and picturesque.

Oooo I would do this, it’s not very expensive, private and picturesque.

Exactly!! :-D Then you can still do your res at Narcoosees no problem. You could rent from GF marina and then hop off the boat and just you and your husband go to your reservation for some "alone" time! Congrats on 25 years! That's amazing!

Exactly!! :-D Then you can still do your res at Narcoosees no problem. You could rent from GF marina and then hop off the boat and just you and your husband go to your reservation for some "alone" time! Congrats on 25 years! That's amazing!
Very creative idea. Thanks!

I looked into it and discovered that we have to wear life jackets, which would not be great over my gown and wouldn’t look good in photos. However, you got me thinking about possibly doing a private fireworks cruise after dinner.

Last edited:

Ah, true- I didn't consider the life vest thing! I thought only children had to wear the life vests though? And adults just had to have one on board? Or has disney changed that policy? (I haven't rented a boat from them as an adult- only as a kid with my parents).

But either way, yes! the fireworks cruise would be awesome! Those are also reasonably priced and helps mark the event with a little celebration that is unique and not just a regular ADR. I think that would be a great idea if the life vest thing hinders the ceremony portion!

Ah, true- I didn't consider the life vest thing! I thought only children had to wear the life vests though? And adults just had to have one on board? Or has disney changed that policy? (I haven't rented a boat from them as an adult- only as a kid with my parents).

But either way, yes! the fireworks cruise would be awesome! Those are also reasonably priced and helps mark the event with a little celebration that is unique and not just a regular ADR. I think that would be a great idea if the life vest thing hinders the ceremony portion!
Thanks for sparking the idea!

I just booked the Fireworks Cruise departing from the Grand Floridian Marina on our anniversary!

Congratulations!

We did this for my 50th birthday and it was amazing. A bit chilly in Feb. but the captain gave us blankets so we were fine.
Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!