VR in the parks

Cornish Lad

Mouseketeer
Interesting discussion this week regarding the use or introduction of VR in the parks. There is a VR Ghost Train attraction at Thorpe Park here in the UK and I tried it out for the first time last week. I am finding that I have mixed feelings about it - it was definitely the wildest Ghost Train ride that I have ever had but, at the same time, I missed the old style train travelling through a dark space with the ghosts glowing in the dark and the "cobwebs" etc. brushing across my face. There is also a roller coaster here where you wear a VR headset - not tried that one so unable to comment. I suppose that maybe one or two such attractions in a park the size of the MK might be ok but, for me, I still prefer the real thing.

I think VR sounds fun - I haven't tried it yet but my 9 year old daughter is all about the VR. I don't think it's something you need in the parks but I'd love a good VR game where you can walk around Disney World (or Land) and are able to ride current and past rides - that would be awesome!

Done the VR coaster at Seaworld and it worked 1 out of 4 times (3 riders and one got a 2nd chance and it still didn’t work). Try riding a coaster with a blindfold over your eyes flashing green flashes the entire time.

I think the future is AR, as they seem to be hinting with the Mario Kart ride expected at Universal parks. AR allows a real immersive ride with digital augmentaion.

Last edited:
I think something like the Star Wars VR experience would be great in the parks.

Something on a ride like VR on a coaster I am not a fan of. Disney is all about theming their attractions and adding VR to a coaster would take away from the theming.

The Void experience at DS was A-MAZING and if they could figure out how to bring that to Galaxy's Edge I would be ALL IN.

I found the discussion interesting as well. Busch gardens Williamsburg has re-themed one of its existing simulator rides to make it VR. I enjoy it.

I do feel it is a somewhat isolating experience- you cannot see anyone around you experiencing this attraction with you. This may be a good thing in some instances. But if you have young children with you, you can’t see them at all unless you take off your mask. And as they mentioned on the podcast, there is the feeling that you could really just be doing this at home.

Also, to use the vr headsets for each guest in a large-scale attraction takes lots of time. Guests can find the whole Headset assembly confusing the first time they try it.

Overall, I’m glad I’ve gotten to try it several times. I think some really interesting environments could be introduced through vr. I agree that it is a nice addition to a theme park, but would not want all attractions to go in that direction.

I'm all for VR experiences, but once you can find a cheap easy way to do AR (augmented reality) for everyone in the park you'll have something great.

I imagine once you can hand out sunglasses with AR displays in then cheap you'll see it in parks. That's a long ways away.

VR can be amazing (like the Star Wars and ghostbusters Void experiences), but I think there are still issues with doing it for too long and getting headaches. Also, from a hygiene perspective, cast members would need to clean the headsets after every use and that would be time consuming and costly. At present VR isn’t reccomends for kids, so it’s limiting the age of guests that can do the attraction, which might be great if they’re going to do an Alien one (now that they own Fox) but not so great if they want to do a Wreck it Ralph one for the kids. they’d need to have a better way than the big clunky headsets as well as they can feel quite heavy and straining on the head of you wear them for long periods of time - I have one for my PlayStation and have sat there for an hour immersed in StarTrek VR and then felt sick and had a sore neck when I took the headset off.

If used right and sparingly throughout the parks it could be cool, but I hope disney doesn’t turn into universal with all the screens - it makes for subpar attractions (ie. fast and furious, kong, jimmy fallon).

Obviously not a programmer.
Married to one. :rolleyes1 I just see it as a cheap way out. You don't have to actually make a large show building or a lot of theming. You can get away with one or maybe 2 animatronics in the que line. I totally understand how difficult it is to make VR from a programmers perspective. Just as a guest stand point, I see it as cheap and lazy.

One or 2 attractions would be interesting, as long as the don't try to incorporate it into a lot of current attractions.

I've never done any VR experience except the old Aladdin thing at DisneyQuest but would love to try one. I think the rollercoasters that offer a VR option sound really neat. As for Disney, I think they could do amazing things like have you enter an animated environment and interact with cartoon characters. How cool would that be?

Certainly, VR shouldn't replace traditional physical attractions but I would have no problem with them adding a VR attraction or two. I'd love to see what they could come up with.

Yes, that Aladdain thing, and the Pirates and even the Jungle Cruise sort of things at DQ were cool!

I'd also enjoy a VR ride that isn't as intense as the roller coaster thing there was, since I can't ride real coasters due to spine surgery, which always makes me sad.

Last edited:
When you really think about it, a VR attraction is just an evolution of a simulator attraction. When you are on Star Tours, you're just staring at a screen while your seat bounces around. With VR, you just happen to be wearing the screen on your face. It's not really all that different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter