VRBO Basics

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Debating renting a vacation home for our anticipated stay between Christmas & NY this year. We rented DVC points almost a decade ago, but usually stay in hotels.

So now I'm looking at VRBO and want to know what advice people have/how it it works. Here are specific questions I have...
How do you get your keys?
Can you get more than one set (possibly split with another family)?
If it's a gated community, how do you get in the gate?
Do occupancy limits only refer to how many people are staying? Can you have others over for a party/get together?
Do you leave left over (unopened) food? Just throw everything out?
Do most allow for cancellations (months in advance)?
Is all payment due upfront, or do you pay installments as you get closer?
Any other tips/advice?

I'm probably missing a website describing all this, but couldn't find it.

Debating renting a vacation home for our anticipated stay between Christmas & NY this year. We rented DVC points almost a decade ago, but usually stay in hotels.

So now I'm looking at VRBO and want to know what advice people have/how it it works. Here are specific questions I have...
Do occupancy limits only refer to how many people are staying? Can you have others over for a party/get together?
Any other tips/advice?

We use VRBO exclusively for our rentals...in fact I'm sitting in one this very second. Probably used them 15 times by now...love it!

1. The keys are always (at least with the ones we've done) attached to the door frame of the rental unit in a lock box. Actually, I take that back...one time we got them from the welcome center at the front desk, but the other 14 times they were on the door frame.

2. That depends on the owner. They may leave one, they may leave two. Usually it's two, but not always.

3. Usually the condo owner will send you some sort of "certificate" or paper that you show to the guard at the front security gate. They'll take your vehicle info and give you a parking tag/pass. I'm not sure of the behind the scenes process, but the security gate knows you're coming.

4. Yes, occupancy refers to how many are staying. We've never had people over, except a babysitter, but I can't imagine it'd be an issue as long as you're not throwing some wild party.

5. No, we usually don't leave leftover food. We either bring it home (non-perishable) or throw it out.

6. Yes, the places we stay allow for cancellation up to a certain time.

7. That depends on the owner. Most allow payments, but want the final one a good bit ahead of time.

We like to rent from private owners rather than rental agencies. We feel it's a better experience and the home is usually well cared for (because the private owner usually uses it as their personal vacation home too). They also tend to be more responsive to questions, etc...

Any other tips/advice?

We own 2 condos that we rent out using VRBO, Airbnb, Flipkey, ets.

How do you get your keys? At our places, we have keyless entry Kaba locks. You punch in a code to enter the unit.
Some places may have locked key boxes, others may hide the key, a manager might meet you and hand it to you in person.

Can you get more than one set (possibly split with another family)? Our place has no keys, so no need of duplicate.
The answer may vary depending upon the individual rental. Ask owner.

If it's a gated community, how do you get in the gate? Most gated communities have a number/letter keypad to enter. You'd get the code from the owner. We have gated parking at our place, and it uses a numbered code on a keypad.

Do occupancy limits only refer to how many people are staying? Can you have others over for a party/get together? Occupancy limits are for people staying at our place. They are allowed to have day guests. They must be registered and get wristbands, since our unit is at a popular condo complex with many desirable amenities.
This will vary by property and owner. Best to ask.

Do you leave left over (unopened) food? Just throw everything out? We ask that all food and trash be taken out when vacating the units. Occasionally guest may leave extra coffee filters or something of that nature....

Do most allow for cancellations (months in advance)? This is unique to each property owner. We recommend that our guests purchase trip insurance in case of the unexpected/emergency. We will give a full refund 45 days prior to arrival date.

Is all payment due upfront, or do you pay installments as you get closer? This is also unique to each property owner. The owner sets parameteres that they are comfortable with. Normally there is a deposit required to secure the reservation.

Any other tips/advice?
Communication is the key to a successful rental.
Ask questions... ask for clarification whenever necessary. Know the terms of the rental.
If the owner isn't very responsive to your inquiry, find a new place.

Hope that helps!

Any other tips/advice?

We've used VRBO four times within the last year in Florida and Pennsylvania, so this has been my experience:

1. All 4 of the places we have rented had the keyless entry where you type in a 4 digit passcode. On two of the houses, the passcode was sent to me after I made my final payment. On the other two houses, the passcode was changed to the last 4 digits of my cell phone number. I assume they change it for every renter.

2. Wasn't a problem since it was the 4 digit passcode.

3. One of the rentals we stayed in was a gated community. In one of the other rentals, the pool and laundry room had coded locks. For the gated community, these instructions were provided after final payment. For the coded pool and laundry room, the codes were in a binder with all the other info we needed for the units. The binders were left out for us to see. It also contained delivery places, the wifi code/password, who to contact for issues, etc.

4. We did and had no issue, but it would be dependent on whether the owner has rules regarding this.

5. We left unopened food in two of the rentals. Not sure what happened to it. In one rental, there was some leftover unopened food from the prior renter. In the other three, the kitchen was empty. Some owners have specific check out and clean up instructions. None of them told us to discard all the food and drinks though.

6. Yes, ours did.

7. For all of our rentals, we had to make a down payment and pay the balance closer to the date. They varied as to how much was required down. We didn't try to pay in installments and I'm not sure how that would work since the balance is paid through VRBO. I don't recall seeing an option to only pay a certain amount other than the balance.

8. The only other thing I'd caution is the rental companies/brokers that are on there. Of the four places we've recently rented, only one of them was managed by a company who has multiple properties. And that was the only one we had an issue with. For some unnecessary reason, they required us to meet with their agent at a designated time to check-in. He was 30 minutes late and the cleaner hadn't even been there yet. We waited almost 90 minutes with the guy just to get into the unit, and it was almost 6pm on our check-in day by the time we got in. This was a fluke I'm sure, but it was honestly much easier dealing with the actual owners who just gave us the code to enter, check in and check out times, and left us to our own devices.

Also, if you pay by credit card, we had two of the properties require us to add 2.5% for processing fees. We did have the option to send a check in lieu of the credit card payment.

For the question of how to get in the gate of a gated community, do you mean when you first arrive, or when you're coming and going?

When you first arrive, usually there is some sort of check in that involves the security guard. Once you do that, it depends on the community...for coming and going I've had a tag I just hang in my window and the guard opens the gate (like the community I'm in now), we've had ones with cards like a credit card, we've had ones where we have a QR code that we scan. It all depends on the set up.

We've rented through VRBO minimum 18 times. Rome, Paris, London, Edinburgh, Maui, Florida, North Carolina, Myrtle Beach. There has been different experiences with them but we've never rented a bad unit yet. Look for reviews.

How do you get your keys? In Florida some communities are gated and you will either receive a gate code or there will be a security guard to let you in. In the home or apartment we have had passcodes emailed to us about a week before we leave or, keys either handed to us by the manager or owner, or through a lockbox on the house. In Maui last year we had a key to the mailbox mailed to us and the key to the condo was in the locked mailbox.

Can you get more than one set (possibly split with another family)? You can certainly ask for more than one key. In Edinburgh and London we had two sets of keys that were given to us by management who met us at the apartments (managers were both on time, no problems at all). In Paris we were met by the owner of the apartment but there was a passcode so no key needed. The Florida homes we've rented have almost always had a lockbox with the key or keys inside and we never met the owners.

If it's a gated community, how do you get in the gate? See above.

Do occupancy limits only refer to how many people are staying? Can you have others over for a party/get together? Occupancy limits refer to the amount of people who are staying in the unit. I always let them know the exact amount of people staying and only in Florida homes have we had company a few times and no, we didn't bother letting the owners know nor did we ask.

Do you leave left over (unopened) food? Just throw everything out? We always leave unopened food and throw the rest out. I figure the housekeeper can take it if the owners want everything out.

Do most allow for cancellations (months in advance)? Yes, most allow for cancellations and individual owners will let you know the conditions.

Is all payment due upfront, or do you pay installments as you get closer? Only pay upfront if you are renting the unit in the near future, otherwise there is usually a downpayment and a final payment. The final payment is often close to the rental date.

Any other tips/advice? We've never had any problems meeting either a manager or an owner. All have been prompt. Read the reviews on the unit. In some units the owner may ask you to strip the sheets from the beds and start the first load of laundry in the washing machine before you leave. Out of consideration I also try to wash as many towels the night before so housekeeping isn't there all day doing laundry. I also tidy up, wipe out the fridge, put all garbage in bins, etc.

I have rented multiple times and never a problem.
My advice pick a place with reviews and an owner who is responsive.
Each place has their own rules set by owner.
Usually is it keypad, but this last weekend in NYC I picked keys up from bakery 2 blocks away with a lockbox service in the back. Only one key was there so that was annoying.
Happy planning
Kerri

We’ve rented through VRBO a few times and had great luck.

A couple of the units had a key box and a couple had the keypad style lock.

The place we rent in Hilton Head is in a gated community and the owner sends in our name to the office ahead of time so they are expecting us and then give us a visitors pass for the week.

Thanks everyone. I'm reading all the responses. We've got 6+ months until the trip, but it's something I'd like settled earlier rather than later (if we decide to do it).

Last year our group stayed at World Center Marriott, but don't know where the group is staying this year.

I do not know a lot about VRBO, but we used it on our vacation. That was the first time ever using it for me.

In regards to the key question... we were texted a door CODE to get in.
Was not a gated community.
Occupancy limit was 4 in the condo we had (we only had 2 though)
Paid half upon booking, and the rest was charged to the credit card a couple weeks before arrival.

As far as cancellations/refunds. I THINK it could have been cancelled for MOST of the money back.

Last time we went to Disney we rented through VRBO. Great experience. They had a keypad with a specific code.

My advice: Always read the details. I've found that 'Sleeps 4' can often mean 2 double or queen beds. That doesn't work for our family so I've started looking for rentals that hold 5+.

We have been renting places through VRBO/Homeaway for over 5 years. We’ve rented in multiple different states and different countries.

The first thing you need to understand is that there is no definitive answer to most of the questions you are asking because every rental is owned and operated by someone different with their own set of rules. VRBO and Homeaway (its the same company) is simply a listing site for rentals. VRBO started out as a place for individual home owners to list their homes and vacation properties when they weren’t staying in them. As time has gone on, rental companies have realized they are loosing out to VRBO and have begun to list their places on the site as well. This means the terms, conditions, and quality of the rental you get are going to be dependent on the company or individual you rent from. VRBO really only offers a vehicle for you to easily browse and compare rentals in one spot. It is not a rental company in and of itself.

This will be dependent on how the rental is set up. Most of the places we have stayed, we have been given a code to use on a keypad. A few places we have stayed we were given real keys. In those instances, we either met the homeowner (when renting direct) who did a walkthrough of the house and then gave us the keys, or we went to a rental company’s office, checked in, and were given keys. I have never had someone direct us to a lock box or hide-a-key, but it sounds like others have.

This will depend on the owner. If you are given a code, there will be no need for additional keys. When we have gone to rental companies, they usually ask how many keys we want as they are use to people needing more than one. If renting direct from an owner, they may not have a second key available, but you can always ask them questions like that before agreeing to rent.

Again, this is going to depend on who you are renting from and what type of procedure is in place in that community. I have been given passes to print ahead of time. I have had to go somewhere first and check in (either a rental company or somewhere specific within the resort/neighborhood). Sometimes all I had to do was provide my name or the name of the homeowner at the gate. Many times resorts have two gate entrances. One for those checking in the first time and a second you use everytime after. In those situations, you usually only need to stop at the gate the first time. In smaller neighborhoods with unmanned coded gates, you may be given a code ahead of time. Be aware not all rentals are in gated communities or resorts. Also, even if the rental is in a resort you may not have access to all or any of the resort amenities, so be sure to read the fine print.

This one is tricky. As far as VRBO is concerned, occupancy refers to how many people there are “beds” for in the rental, not any kind of rule in regards to how many people can be on the premise. Be aware, though, many rentals have very specific rules regarding who and how many can be on the premise as day guests or as night guests, and this number is usually the same as the one listed on VRBO. Most places I’ve come across frown on parties and get togethers of people not on the contract. Many specifically forbid them, and I’ve also read a few contracts that completely forbid anyone not on the original contract from entering at all. Because of this, if someone is on the fence about going on a trip or will be visiting me, I always add them to the rental up front. If they aren’t there, no one cares, but I’m not risking running into problems because I let in extra people. Rentals through agengencies, especially condos and villas in resorts, can be very vigilant about enforcing these rules because of fire occupancy laws that they are subject to. Homeowners are hit or miss. Some don’t care. Some care but are not local and won’t know if you are breaking the rules. Then others care and are super vigilant about policing that kind of thing. I’ve read a number of reviews with people complaining because they rented a place, weren’t allowed to have a party or bring over extra guests, and got mad when they got caught by the homeowner who happened to own the house next door or had a neighbor watching the house for them.

Another note on parties, sometimes the actual resort or condominium has its own rules separate from anything the homeowner says, so a homeowner may tell you, “yes, you can have a party,” but the resort may say you are breaking the rules. We had some people in a condo above us about a month ago throwing a party. Security came and told them it was quiet hours, and they had to stop. If they didn’t, the real police would be the next to visit them as there was a sound ordinance they were breaking. Honestly, they weren’t even being that loud, but it was loud enough for the condos immediately around them to hear, so that was enough. Quiet hours started at 10. This was maybe 10:30.

If you are planning any kind of get together, I’d discuss that with the homeowner ahead of time rather than risk an altercation with the homeowner or having the police called on me or something. Most people don’t want people “partying” in their houses or yards. Permission to have a barbecue or baby / bridal shower, or dinner party, those kinds of things are different and can usually be arranged in advance as long as fire occupancy isn’t an issue.

Something else to note, the SLEEPS # VRBO provides can be misleading. King beds are almost always counted as sleeping 3. Sofa beds and loft beds will also be counted as 2 each. Sometimes homeowners include rollaway or even inflatable beds in their counts. I’ve seen studio apartments listed as sleeping 6 or 8 because they had a king bed, king sleeper, rollaway bed, and maybe a cot or crib. That place sleeps 2. 4 is pushing it, and I’d never put fit 8 in there. But my absolute favorite transgression, the people who turn closets into “bedrooms”. I kid you not. They will build custom bunk beds in a closet or hallway. I see it all the time. You can’t search for a beach condo in the panhandle without coming across these by the dozens. Thankfully, they aren’t as common in the Orlando area. And to add insult, many times, these closet beds are toddler size, so even if you found a teen or an adult willing to sleep in the closet, they wouldn’t fit. The lesson, if you need 3 rooms, make sure there are actually 3 real bedrooms if it is a listing for 3. Don’t assume. The third bedroom could be a loft, a balcony, a hallway, or a closet instead. I’ve also seen living rooms and offices turned into bedrooms. They are essentially a bedroom in every way and size except they have no door! Read the fine print. Look at the pictures. If I can’t see pictures of every “room” and bed listed, I’m not renting it. Another note, lofts and balconies are hit or miss. We’ve rented some before that worked out great the way the house was configured as an extra room. I’ve also seen ones you had to access by a latter that would have been no goes for us, so pay attention to how you access them if you decide to book a place with one.

Again, this is dependent on who and where you are renting from. When renting through an agency. It’s about like renting through a hotel. Think Disney villa. It’s a “hotel” room. You aren’t going to leave food there. Renting direct through a home owner. Yes, we routinely leave unopened non-perishable food, especially things like spices behind for the next guests rather than throw them away. We never leave perishable foods or leftovers or opened boxes. When you rent, you will be given very specific instructions on what the check out procedures are. They will tell you what to do with leftover food, trash, dishes, etc. We tend to evaluate each place. If the place comes prestocked with certain spices and starter foods, we will simply add to that. If the place is completely empty, and they ask we not leave anything, we throw it all out or take it with us. Sometimes there are new guests coming in that day or the next who will appreciate what you may have to leave. Sometimes the next guests aren’t booked for a month or more, and the homeowner doesn’t want any food in the house during that time. These are things you will work out with the homeowner/ rental agency when it comes time.

Yes, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a place that did not allow for cancellations. The catch is the cancellations usually have to be made a long time out, think 1 to 2 months before check in. After that, it is hit or miss if you get anything back. Most places I’ve booked, cancellation with money back stopped at 30 days out, with either a 50% refund after that or nothing at all. This seems to be a pretty standard policy for most of the places I’ve seen. If you think you may cancel, I recommend buying trip insurance. Some homeowners will work with you in the event of a family emergency or some other catastrophe. Sometimes if they have someone else interested they will let you out completely. Sometimes, they will agree to let you reschedule for a different time if that works for both of you. It really depends on how nice the homeowners are and the reason for the cancellation. Just changing your mind won’t cut it. This is a good reason to check reviews and find great homeowners who are known to work with not against their renters.

Usually, a specific percentage is due up front, and then you are free to pay the rest however you like. (All at once, in installments.) It doesn’t really matter. The whole amount just has to be paid by a specified date which you will be given and which the owner sets. In my experience, this date is usually 30 days, the same as the cancellation date. If you book a place, and you are already inside the pay by window (less than 30 days out usually), you almost always owe the whole amount up front when you book, unless you and the homeowner come to some kind of special agreement.

No you are not. It’s a learning experience, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll wonder how you ever got by staying in a hotel all those years, when you can have so much more for the same amount or less.

Any other tips/advice?

How the process works:

When you open VRBO, you will see a search bar where you can choose a specific location, trip date, and the number of people going. Once completed, the computer will return you a list of all the available properties for those dates. You can then sort and filter the matches in a number of different ways and begin looking through them.

You can also clear the dates completely to see all the properties in a specific area regardless of availability. Then you can choose your trip dates based around when the place you want to stay is free. This works well if your dates are flexible.

You can also use the map view to search as well.

By clicking on the thumbnail for a listing in either the list view or on the map, you can cycle through the pictures without having to open up the listing’s page. This is a very useful feature as I can usually tell from the pictures alone if the place is going to work or not.

When you see a place you think you like, click on the listing header to open the property’s designated page where you can review all the details including the location, the cost, the bedroom configuration, the amenities, and the reviews as well as information about the owner or rental company.

Once you find a place you want to book, it’s time to contact the owner. This can be done in one of two ways. If a phone number is provided, you can call them. The second option is to send them an email through the VRBO system inquiring about the availability of the property and possibly paying a deposit. I prefer option 2 for a couple of reasons. VRBO keeps a record of all correspondence between parties, and you can easily go back and review that information if you need to. Secondly, email just seems to work better and faster. Many times people don’t answer unknown numbers, or your schedule and theirs don’t match up, so you keep playing phone tag.

This is your chance to sell yourself. Tell the owner a little about who you are, who will be staying, and what you plan on doing while there. You don’t have to get super personal or anything, but you want them to feel safe renting their house to you. You also want to make sure this is going to be a good fit for both parties involved. For instance, if you know you want to have a bbq while there, and the homeowner is completely opposed to that, this isn’t the right rental for you. You should keep looking. Some people only want to rent to families or to the elderly or to people without kids. Find the right fit for your family. Owners can reject you without reason. I’ve had people turn me down before, not often, but it has happened. I usually tell them how many people, the general ages, and what we are looking for in the place: a quiet place to relax, we want to grill out, or swim in the heated pool, or play in the included game room, or ride the included bikes. By letting them know which amenities I am interested in, I can find out in advance if anything will be changing before my visit, and give the homeowner time to make sure those things are in good repair and ready for us to use when we arrive.

After sending the initial inquiry email, 1 of 3 things will happen. 1) The homeowner will respond that the place is not actually available. This is fairly common as sometimes multiple people contact the owner on the same day, and they have to choose between them, or the calendar has simply not been updated. If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 2) The homeowner does not respond in the VRBO allotted timeframe, and therefore, the place is not rentable. In this case, an automatic email is sent stating this? If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 3) The homeowner responds that they’d like to rent to you.

I don’t always get the first place I try for, but I’ve always been able to find an available rental by the third attempt.

Once an owner has agreed to rent to you, this is where the process starts to look different from rental to rental. From here, you and the owner will work out the details of the rental and the payment. This is the point where you will be given a contract to sign either through VRBO or sent from the owner. Read it carefully. It may answer many of the questions you asked above. For those questions not answered, this is your chance to ask them. If an owner doesn’t seem willing to answer them or isn’t willing to work with you, move on. That’s not the place for you.

At this time, the owner will also direct you on how to pay. Sometimes you can pay through VRBO. Sometimes the owner asks you to send a check or pay using PayPal or by credit card. My first choice is to go through the VRBO system because that adds an extra level of insurance in case of fraud. My second preference is to use PayPal, again you at least have some security. I’m not big on sending checks. I’ve done it a couple of times, but I try to avoid it, and if I have to do it, I’m super picky about the circumstances where I’ll even consider it. I’m flat out not giving an individual person my credit card number over the phone no matter what. I will give it to a legit rental company, but that’s it.

Searching and Filters:

VRBO has a number of great search filters you can use to help narrow down your search. Make sure to check them out. There are the standard options like Internet, Pool, Pet Friendly, and Non-Smoking, and then there are other options such as beach or lake front, near XYZ, kid friendly, and even an option to choose boat houses or castle rentals. I’m not a fan of choosing too many filters as I’ve found most places include the basics, but don’t necessarily list them all. You don’t want to end up filtering out great places just because the computer thinks the rental isn’t air conditioned, doesn’t have internet, or doesn’t have a microwave, when it does. The most useful filters to me are the nonsmoking, the kid and pet friendly options, the housing type options, and the minimum numbe of beds and bathrooms I’m interested in.

Once, you have the filters set up, you can control how the results are returned to you. I recommend sorting by Number of Reviews, especially if you are new to this. Read the reviews. Many times I learn more about the rental from them, then I do the actual listing. In addition, for safety and peace of mind as a new renter you will feel more comfortable renting from someone with a long history of multiple positive stays. The more positive reviews, the greater the chance my stay is going to go well. I also pay special attention to how an owner resolved an issue or situation. Things are going to happen, that’s life. How the owner responds when they do can make or break your vacation. That’s why I recommend sorting this way.

The next best way I’ve found to search is by price Low to High, but you have to be very careful about doing this. Sorting this way tends to give you the least reviewed places, new listings with no reviews, or mediocre to badly reviewed places, or places that rent by the month because the cost per day breaks down to so little. If you see a place at $30 to $50 a night and most of the other places are going for $150 to $250 a night, there’s a good chance the place has a minimum rental of 30 days. This strategy seems to work best for me when I book last minute. By that point, all the really nice well reviewed places are already gone anyway and most of the places left are expensive. In that case, sorting Low to High works because I really only have my pick of what I can afford and have to settle for whatever is the best of what is left in my price range. Although, every now and then, I do find a nice place with a decent number of reviews sorting this way.

I also like the Low to High price method over entering a price range in the search or filter boxes. Those never work well for me. Using the price filter, I tend to either end up excluding good options by accident by setting the parameters too low, or I end up including too many expensive places by setting the parameters too high. The issue is, you can have a place that is listed as $100 / night, but it may have $600 worth of fees and taxes added onto it. Then you may have a place that is listed as $200 / night with only $300 worth of fees and taxes. 2 days at the $100 place comes to $800 total. 2 nights at the $200 place comes to $500. In this case, the $200 rental is actually cheaper than the $100 rental.

The reason you see differences like this in fees and taxes between rentals is because those are set by the owner and not by VRBO. One owner may charge you a pet fee, a cleaning fee, or a pool heat fee, and another may not or may charge you at a different rate. Some places require a refundable damage deposit increasing the initial down payment, while others do not. Always look at the total price.

The other issue I’ve noticed with price you have to be careful of is that the listing on the search result page will say $100 / night, but when I open the actual property page up, it will change to something more expensive, say $200.

Always check the Quick Quote / View Details option for the price on the right to check the itemized details. Don’t assume a place is less or more expensive than another without comparing the total cost.

Extras:

One of the best things about renting through VRBO are all the little extras you can find included. Rentals come with everything from boats, to bikes, to game systems, to computers and printers, to golf carts, and kayaks. There are rentals with hot tubs, pools, and game rooms. I’ve even seen some with personal mini golf courses in the backyard or a home theater complete with a popcorn machine.

Some of the amenities we’ve gotten in the past include: kayaks, paddle boat, canoe, printer, wii game system, x-box game system, board games, books, dvds, children’s toys and dress up clothes, pool table, air-hockey table, Foosball, ping pong table, beach toys, beach floats, beach chairs, beach towels, coolers, golf cart, resort privileges, coupon books or free passes to nearby attractions, gazebo, fire pit, hot tub, heated pool, grills, massage chair, and bicycles.

Some owners even decorate for Christmas and may even provide a tree. I once heard of an owner leaving a small present under the tree for the family. Some leave welcome baskets for guests with starter items or food, even treats for your dog if you are bringing one. Some will arrange for packages or grocery delivery. Some offer maid or meal service while you stay. There are so many wonderful options. The only down side is you need to do your homework and book in advance to find these really awesome places.

Also, I’ve found when looking for specific extras or special features, I have better luck doing a google search for what I want rather than lookin direct through VRBO. Because it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack at times. If I’m set on having a kayak, I may be better off to search “VRBO + location + kayak”. This is because google will find “kayak” listed in either the summary or the details, but there’s no option for that filter in VRBO. Same with a fenced yard. This is the one feature I keep hoping they will add to filters. I usually have to do a google search to find fenced in places or search through hundreds of pictures of backyards looking to see if they have one or not, and most places I Florida don’t because they fence the pools instead.

The actual stay:

Details and instructions about the property are usually provided electronically through the app or are found in printed form inside the rental. The really organized owners usually leave everything in a binder or book. Some owners provide both electronic and paper copies. These instructions usually provide basic information such as how to access the Internet, how to use different appliances in the house such as the tv or the washing machine, general expectations they have for you (ie. the dos and don’ts of the place), check out instructions, information on local restaurants, information on the resort or neighborhood and any privileges you may have as well as how to access them, parking information, and owner contact information. Anything not answered here, you are free to contact them about.

It is fairly standard for linens and towels to be included in rentals. Most places also provide you with starter toiletries, things like toilet paper, paper towels, soap, and laundry detergent. Many places with full kitchens will provide you with spices for cooking and even filters for the coffee pot. Exactly what you get at each place will vary, so pay attention to what is included and what you will need to bring. Read the reviews to see what others said was provided, and ask the owner questions about anything you are unsure of. Rentals include things not listed on VRBO all the time. You simply can’t list everything out. You also don’t want to assume that you getting something you are not.

While at the rental, unless special arrangements were made or offered, you usually do not have any room service as far as maid service or meals are concerned. You are responsible for cleaning up after yourself and washing and changing bed sheets if desired. You are responsible for providing your own meals.

When it’s time to checkout, the procedure can vary greatly between rentals. Some places I have stayed, we simply packed up and left. That was it. That was the whole procedure. Other places, they asked you to put all the dishes in the dishwasher and start it or to place a certain type of linen in the washing machine. Sometimes you leave the trash, and sometimes you take it to the curb or some other designated spot.

I’ve never been asked to clean a place, beyond cleaning up the messes we made. What I mean is if we spilled something on the floor, we cleaned that up. However, we didn’t clean the floor or bathroom or anything like that. I’ve never been asked to do loads of laundry beyond possibly starting a load as we left.

Most places our check out procedure consisted of putting things back the way we found them, placing any dirty dishes in the dishwasher, gathering towels into one spot, gathering trash into one spot, and packing up our stuff and leaving. Once out of the house, we either returned the key if there was one or checked out electronically on the app or by simply texting the homeowner.

Advice:
Book as far out as possible for the best deals. 6 months to a year.

Once you are more comfortable and familiar with the process, you can try booking new non reviewed places for great savings. The trick is to either have a good back up plan or book from an owner who has good reviews on a different property, but this is a new property for them.

Lots of great info here. I’m curious about something if anyone can chime in. Last year we rented a beach house for a week and the very last night into the morning I woke up to leaks all over the kitchen and dining room ceiling from a very bad storm. I had atleast ten items catching water all over the place. What if this was the start of our stay? What does one do if something happens and you can’t stay?

One other thing to add on. Someone mentioned getting pictures of everything. Our last rental had a separate staircase to get to the game room and two bedrooms and bathrooms. The staircase was one of those steep, spiral ones. My elderly mom, one sister in law and my dog (lol) couldn’t get up them so those bedrooms were out for them plus my mom never got to the game room.

@nighttowell... wow, what a write up! Thank you so much for putting that much effort into replying. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming those that mark "No parties/events" means we couldn't have a get together of friends, or is it worth contacting the owners to ask? DS's soccer team is going to a tournament at ESPN again this year and we thought it would be nice if we had the team over one evening when we're not playing.

It is interesting to see all the different ways a VRBO/HomeAway rental can be handled.

We went thru VRBO for the first time about 3 years ago for a rental in Key West. It is in a gated community, but the gates (and there are walk thru gates and automobile gates) are open to anyone during the day, but closed and locked at 6 pm. So we are given keys to the rental unit and keys to the walk thru gates. I am not sure about the automobile gates as we don't have a car there. The keys are mailed to us by the owner about 2 weeks before our stay and he sends us 2 sets of each. So I already have them in hand and don't have to go looking for the place to get the keys when we arrive.

The first thing we do is take a look to see what grocery items are in the pantry - usually there is coffee and filters, tea bags, spices, cooking oil, and maybe some granola bar type things. The refrigerator is empty. So we go out and get milk, eggs, bread, butter, sugar, pasta, ketchup, mustard, mayo, bottled water, snacks, salad stuff, fruit, cereal, etc. We get small amounts and replenish as we need. We try to use up what we can. Whatever is left has to be thrown out. This time we did leave an unopened bag of chips and some coffee. It seems terribly wasteful, but I understand you can't leave anything that would attract bugs or go bad. And since we fly with carry ons, I can't even take any of it home with me. Although we did take a full loaf of gluten free bread home this time - TSA spotted it on the x-ray and asked son about it, lol. It was fine.

I don't know his cancellation policy. He requires the damage deposit at time of booking, and the rental amount is due one month prior to your trip.

Before we leave, dishes have to be done (not sure if I could leave them in the dishwasher - I just make sure they are all done and put away), garbage and recycling emptied, thermostat raised (so A/C doesn't run continually when unoccupied), all furniture and other items placed back exactly where they were. The washing of one set of bed linens and four towels per bedroom is included in the rent.

I will second Nightowll's advice to look carefully at the total amount the website says you will owe. The ad for the rental may say $200 per night. You fill in your dates, find out availability, then get a total. The total can include booking charge, cleaning charge, taxes, and if thru a realtor or rental agency, an additional charge for them. We have rented this same unit 3 times now and we go directly thru the owner to avoid the VRBO charge. He also does not charge separately for taxes or cleaning. It is all included in the per night charge. That is a huge savings.

Our owner is amazing - he communicates quickly and has been very kind to us. I count him as a friend at this point even though we have never met in person. I have a hard time considering other rentals as this one has been so good!

@nighttowell... wow, what a write up! Thank you so much for putting that much effort into replying. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming those that mark "No parties/events" means we couldn't have a get together of friends, or is it worth contacting the owners to ask? DS's soccer team is going to a tournament at ESPN again this year and we thought it would be nice if we had the team over one evening when we're not playing.

It never hurts to ask. They may say no, or they may permit it. Every owner is different. But, definitely ask. Don't just assume it's ok.

Lots of great info here. I’m curious about something if anyone can chime in. Last year we rented a beach house for a week and the very last night into the morning I woke up to leaks all over the kitchen and dining room ceiling from a very bad storm. I had atleast ten items catching water all over the place. What if this was the start of our stay? What does one do if something happens and you can’t stay?

If the rental is through a company or the homeowner owns multiple properties, they will do everything in their power to place you in a different unit they own. If renting from an individual, the two of you would work out some kind of agreement, coming late plus partial refund, full refund, etc. If you couldn’t come to an agreement, this is where VRBO would come in if you booked through them to help you get your money refunded 100%. This is also where travel insurance helps.

Honestly, short of a hurricane or other natural diasater, it isn’t very likely the rental is all of a sudden going to be unlivable overnight. Freak accidents can happen, even at resorts or hotels. If the place burns down or is damaged in a storm, there is really nothing the owners can do but try to fix it up in time or refund you your money. It’s sad, but you’d be in the same situation at a hotel. I have a friend whose time share burned down in Gatlinburg last year right before Christmas (not a VRBO place). They had to cancel their trip and reschedule it for the summer after the place has been rebuilt.

In the case of your leak, normally the homeowner will send a repairman right away to try to fix the situation. Best case scenario, they fix the problem while you are at the parks, and you go on as if nothing ever happened. If the leak could not be fixed for some reason or will be too disruptive to your stay to fix with you in the house, you may have to leave. A refund would then be an order, either partial or full, depending on the situation.

Again, this would be a rare occurrence. In all my years of booking places, we’ve never had damage or issues to the point of needing to leave. The closest I’ve come is last year, when the hurricane hit. I was a nervous wreck about a place I rented in Tampa on the water. I was due to stay days after the hurricane hit. I had no idea if the house would be there or not or be in any kind of condition to live in. Luckily, it took only minor damage and the trip proceeded as planned. I was in contact with the owners all through the hurricane, checking on how things were going. I felt so bad for them. They had no idea if they’d still have a house either. If the house had been unlivable, I’d have received a refund and then had to find alternative accommodations. Knowing in advance there was a good chance the house wouldn’t be in any condition to stay in, I went ahead and booked accommodations at a hotel in Orlando where I could cancel up to 24 hrs out. Then, when I learned the House was fine, I simply canceled the hotel reservation and proceeded as planned.

Minor maintenance problems have never been an issue for us. Owners have always either employed maintenance companies to handle problems or come themselves. If the air conditioning breaks while there, someone should be sent to fix it ASAP, same with the tv, or any other appliance. We once had an owner bring us a a brand new DVD player still in the box, same day, when we called to say it wasn’t working. This is again why reviews are so important. There may be a leak or some minor issue that needs repair, and you want to stay somewhere where the owner is going to address that issue same day, not try to put you off. Overall, look for nice, well kept, updated, places to rent with good reviews. Those aren’t likely to be the types of places that start falling apart half way through the trip, and if something does come up, you know they will fix the issue right away.

One other thing to add on. Someone mentioned getting pictures of everything. Our last rental had a separate staircase to get to the game room and two bedrooms and bathrooms. The staircase was one of those steep, spiral ones. My elderly mom, one sister in law and my dog (lol) couldn’t get up them so those bedrooms were out for them plus my mom never got to the game room.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about watching out for with the loft rooms. You really want to check the pictures, including stairways, if there are any.

We also avoid the places that have spiral staircases as they wouldn’t be possible for many of the people that usually travel with us. Also, they are very impractical and almost impossible to carry luggage up or down or to carry pets or children up and down.

I can’t stress enough the importance of looking at the pictures carefully. If I can’t see proof of all the things important to me, I’m not staying. If anything looks suspicious, I’m not staying. Watch for multiple rentals using the same pics, way out of date pics, rentals where pics are only provided for half the rooms, pictures that show contradictory images of the same space or property, and bad quality photos. I won’t stay in a place if the pictures are skewed, blurred, or not formatted correctly. If the owner can’t even be bothered to put photos up correctly on a website, my confidence in their ability to take care of the house and my needs drops considerably. It’s nothing to do with being tech savvy. I get they might not know how to correctly upload the pictures, but if you can’t be bothered to find someone who does know how, what else might you not be bothered to do out of laziness? Show some initiative people. I want to rent from someone who can figure out how to solve a problem, not someone who can’t even be bothered to put his page in order. Look for reviews that say things like, rental exactly as pictured, rental true to pics, or rental better than pictured.

Also, follow up on things you may see or don’t see in pictures. That coffee pot you see on the counter may now be replaced with a Keurig. If it’s important to you, ask about it. The fence you see in the backyard, may not be fully enclosed on all sides. The place may be listed as 2 or 3 story, but the staircases may not be shown. Ask what type they are. There may be a picture of bikes in the garage or a kayak on the porch, but these things aren’t listed under the amenity list. Ask if the rental includes use of those or if they just ended up in the picture.

I also go on google earth and walk around the neighborhood and the house before booking a place. I want to make sure the neighborhood looks good and the pictures on google earth of the outside match what the homeowner provides. I also want to see what may be nearby or in walking distance that we may be interested in. How do the streets look (easy to get in and out of the neighborhood, is there construction, would we have to access a toll road everytime we left), is there a park or other entertainment in walking distance, how close is the nearest grocery store or drug store? If staying in a resort or complex, how close to the pool or other amenities are we? How close to a parking lot? What type of parking is available? If there’s a driveway, how many cars could the driveway fit? It’s amazing what all you can learn just from google earth. Use your resources.

Think of VRBO like a Disney vacation, you get out of it what you put in. Yes, there are horror stories, just like there are people that think they can walk right up to CRT and be seated without an ADR or ride FOP without waiting or who don’t know what a FP is. Those people run into issues and have a hard time or simply miss out on something because of lack of planning and research. If you do your research, look at reviews, look at pictures, look at google earth, google the homeowner or rental company, ask questions, and read the contract carefully, it is very unlikely you are going to run into major issues.

Anytime, you are going to be inviting people over for a get together. You definitely need to arrange that in advance with the owner. Many places are simply not big enough to host so many people. I’ve found most back yards in Florida tend to be non existent or very small, and while houses and condos offer more room than a hotel does, that doesn’t mean there would be enough room for the whole soccer team. You also need to ask yourself, do you really want to be taking on the responsibility for having so many people over? If the property is damaged in anyway, you will be held liable for paying for those repairs or replacements. I personally wouldn’t want that responsibility. I wouldn’t mind having a few close friends or family over, but my kid’s team, no. I just wouldn’t know them well enough to trust that nothing would get broken. Kids get excited. They knock things over, break toys, pop floats, etc.

We have only ever stayed at one or two places where it would have worked to host an outdoor barbecue or party. Everywhere else the places were not configured in a way that would have worked well for a large group. We stayed in a lake house one time for Memorial weekend. It was semi secluded. It wasn’t in a neighborhood. It had a huge back yard with a floating deck, picnic tables, a gazebo, outdoor lawn games, and a fire pit. It was advertised as a great place for having get to gathers and parties in the backyard. I would have had no problem having a party there. Most places located inside resorts and neighborhoods frown or forbid parties. If you want to have a couple of families over for dinner or something, the owner will probably approve that. Having the whole team over, probably not. I mean would you really want an entire sports team you are unfamiliar with having a party in your home while you aren’t there?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter