VRBO Basics

There's no way I would want the responsibility or assume the risk for an entire soccer team gathering at a house I was renting. I would also think there's very little chance of an owner granting permission.

I'll add my agreement to how important reviews and photos are. I recently rented an Airbnb, and I didn't notice that the bed was a platform bed. If I'd paid attention, I wouldn't have stayed there. Those beds are not, IMO, comfortable at all.

I always look for places with many, not just a few, reviews, and all good.

Just to update, we did find a house through VRBO. We won't have any parties, but may have some other team members stay with us. 34/35 reviews going back 10 years are 5/5 stars and the remaining one is 4/5. Looking forward to it, but still a little nervous that everything works out well.

Just to update, we did find a house through VRBO. We won't have any parties, but may have some other team members stay with us. 34/35 reviews going back 10 years are 5/5 stars and the remaining one is 4/5. Looking forward to it, but still a little nervous that everything works out well.

I don't think you need to feel nervous. Our stays have always gone smoothly and property managers have always been very responsive to any issues.

I would make sure that you purchased insurance to cover the rental though. Our June stay in Key West required insurance or a large hold on our card. I didn't want the hold so I purchased the insurance. It was only an additional $35.

We had some issues during our stay- it wasn't clean upon check-in, swarming mosquitos. The management company came quickly and resolved the issue. We did not leave any negative reviews. The rest of our trip was smooth.

Last week- 3 months later- I get a letter from the insurance company wanting to verify the "damages" to the rental. We were dumbfounded. Absolutely nothing happened during our stay. We were 6 middle aged adults- no kids, no pets, no parties. I called them Monday for more info and the management company had filed a $23 claim for a damaged pool towel, bath mat, and two wash cloths. The agent asked if I could verify the claim. I explained that 3 months later, I have no idea, but could assure them that all of those items were used in the normal way.

I have no idea if they'll pay it or deny it, as either way, it won't cost me anything. However, we are all now very irritated and considering going back and leaving negative reviews for the issues that we had during our stay.

This is our first issue in many rental stays.

We've done family vacations through VRBO for several years now. Best way for all of us to stay together.There are 17 of us now and we have to make rsvp's as early as possible to get the best deal for that size group. At one of the places we had to list the names, addresses, and ages of everyone in the group. As stated before, each owner does things a little differently. Enjoy your trip!

I don't think you need to feel nervous. Our stays have always gone smoothly and property managers have always been very responsive to any issues.

I would make sure that you purchased insurance to cover the rental though. Our June stay in Key West required insurance or a large hold on our card. I didn't want the hold so I purchased the insurance. It was only an additional $35.

We had some issues during our stay- it wasn't clean upon check-in, swarming mosquitos. The management company came quickly and resolved the issue. We did not leave any negative reviews. The rest of our trip was smooth.

Last week- 3 months later- I get a letter from the insurance company wanting to verify the "damages" to the rental. We were dumbfounded. Absolutely nothing happened during our stay. We were 6 middle aged adults- no kids, no pets, no parties. I called them Monday for more info and the management company had filed a $23 claim for a damaged pool towel, bath mat, and two wash cloths. The agent asked if I could verify the claim. I explained that 3 months later, I have no idea, but could assure them that all of those items were used in the normal way.

I have no idea if they'll pay it or deny it, as either way, it won't cost me anything. However, we are all now very irritated and considering going back and leaving negative reviews for the issues that we had during our stay.

This is our first issue in many rental stays.
Who did you get insurance through? The owner we're dealing with takes a security deposit, but didn't mention anything about insurance.

How the process works:

When you open VRBO, you will see a search bar where you can choose a specific location, trip date, and the number of people going. Once completed, the computer will return you a list of all the available properties for those dates. You can then sort and filter the matches in a number of different ways and begin looking through them.

You can also clear the dates completely to see all the properties in a specific area regardless of availability. Then you can choose your trip dates based around when the place you want to stay is free. This works well if your dates are flexible.

You can also use the map view to search as well.

By clicking on the thumbnail for a listing in either the list view or on the map, you can cycle through the pictures without having to open up the listing’s page. This is a very useful feature as I can usually tell from the pictures alone if the place is going to work or not.

When you see a place you think you like, click on the listing header to open the property’s designated page where you can review all the details including the location, the cost, the bedroom configuration, the amenities, and the reviews as well as information about the owner or rental company.

Once you find a place you want to book, it’s time to contact the owner. This can be done in one of two ways. If a phone number is provided, you can call them. The second option is to send them an email through the VRBO system inquiring about the availability of the property and possibly paying a deposit. I prefer option 2 for a couple of reasons. VRBO keeps a record of all correspondence between parties, and you can easily go back and review that information if you need to. Secondly, email just seems to work better and faster. Many times people don’t answer unknown numbers, or your schedule and theirs don’t match up, so you keep playing phone tag.

This is your chance to sell yourself. Tell the owner a little about who you are, who will be staying, and what you plan on doing while there. You don’t have to get super personal or anything, but you want them to feel safe renting their house to you. You also want to make sure this is going to be a good fit for both parties involved. For instance, if you know you want to have a bbq while there, and the homeowner is completely opposed to that, this isn’t the right rental for you. You should keep looking. Some people only want to rent to families or to the elderly or to people without kids. Find the right fit for your family. Owners can reject you without reason. I’ve had people turn me down before, not often, but it has happened. I usually tell them how many people, the general ages, and what we are looking for in the place: a quiet place to relax, we want to grill out, or swim in the heated pool, or play in the included game room, or ride the included bikes. By letting them know which amenities I am interested in, I can find out in advance if anything will be changing before my visit, and give the homeowner time to make sure those things are in good repair and ready for us to use when we arrive.

After sending the initial inquiry email, 1 of 3 things will happen. 1) The homeowner will respond that the place is not actually available. This is fairly common as sometimes multiple people contact the owner on the same day, and they have to choose between them, or the calendar has simply not been updated. If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 2) The homeowner does not respond in the VRBO allotted timeframe, and therefore, the place is not rentable. In this case, an automatic email is sent stating this? If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 3) The homeowner responds that they’d like to rent to you.

I don’t always get the first place I try for, but I’ve always been able to find an available rental by the third attempt.

Once an owner has agreed to rent to you, this is where the process starts to look different from rental to rental. From here, you and the owner will work out the details of the rental and the payment. This is the point where you will be given a contract to sign either through VRBO or sent from the owner. Read it carefully. It may answer many of the questions you asked above. For those questions not answered, this is your chance to ask them. If an owner doesn’t seem willing to answer them or isn’t willing to work with you, move on. That’s not the place for you.

At this time, the owner will also direct you on how to pay. Sometimes you can pay through VRBO. Sometimes the owner asks you to send a check or pay using PayPal or by credit card. My first choice is to go through the VRBO system because that adds an extra level of insurance in case of fraud. My second preference is to use PayPal, again you at least have some security. I’m not big on sending checks. I’ve done it a couple of times, but I try to avoid it, and if I have to do it, I’m super picky about the circumstances where I’ll even consider it. I’m flat out not giving an individual person my credit card number over the phone no matter what. I will give it to a legit rental company, but that’s it.

If you are sending payment directly to the seller, you are renting "under the table" and not through VRBO, thus you lose any and all of the protections afforded by going through VRBO.

I currently have a place reserved in Europe for next summer. I didn't call the owner, nor was I asked to "sell myself" nor have I ever had to do that on any of the rentals we have done. I do everything through VRBO/Homeaway. On the Europe rental, the owner is a "preferred partner" which just means they have agreed to abide by a few more VRBO requirements.

It is listed when the calendar was last updated, I booked, paid my down payment through VRBO, and within an hour the owner emailed (through VRBO) and confirmed my reservation. I would never, ever bypass VRBO and send payment directly to the owner. Why would you if it is listed through VRBO? I would also report the owner to VRBO that they were asking for payment under the table.

I booked this particular place because all the reviews raved about how wonderful the owner was. She lives in an apartment in the same building, is unobtrusive but extremely helpful if needed. She has already offered to help book tours, offered to help with booking transportation to and from the airport over a year out. I have been very pleased.

I would NEVER not pay through VRBO because that is the whole reason of using VRBO. They have payment protections that you just don't get when you are sending money directly to some stranger.

Before I book, the listings usually answer all the questions you have asked. On this rental, the key code will be sent through the VRBO app right before leaving. Payment and refund info was listed. The number of beds and what they were was listed along with pictures of each and every bed. No parties allowed. The listing was quite detailed and provided me with all the info I wanted.

The thing I find most helpful is to read the reviews before I book. Throw out the most negative and the most glowing and the truth lies somewhere in between. On this listing, I know one "bedroom" is actually an old parlor and has no doors, but that is fine with us. The pros outweigh the cons. The one and only negative review was that their teenage son was on the rooftop terrace (supposed to be private for the renter) for all of 10 minutes due to a big celebration going on in the streets below. The reviewed admitted that the owner was contacted and took care of their son immediately. I had no problem with that, I have had teenagers and do realize they break the rules sometimes. She took care of it right away.

Read the listing. Contact the owner or VRBO if you have questions. Most of the listings spell out most of the info you need to know. NEVER send money directly. If you are using VRBO, actually use VRBO services. Otherwise, you might as well just look at Craig's List.

VRBO'S Protections
lock-icon--ts-2016-07-27T04%3A25%3A32_677-05%3A00.png

Security deposit protection
100% of your security deposit is covered if it’s wrongfully withheld.
shield-icon--ts-2016-07-27T04%3A25%3A32_677-05%3A00.png

Comprehensive payment protection
Protects 100% of your payment against things like listing fraud, phishing, significant property misrepresentation, wrongful denial of entry, or uninhabitable property upon arrival.
cross-icon--ts-2016-07-27T04%3A25%3A32_677-05%3A00.png

Emergency rebooking assistance
Find another vacation rental should your booking be cancelled by an owner or manager at the last minute.

Last edited:

Who did you get insurance through? The owner we're dealing with takes a security deposit, but didn't mention anything about insurance.
Not the poster you asked, but we always get our insurance through Insuremytrip,com. We put in what we need and then compare the different plans/companies available. For this European trip, we chose a deluxe plan that covered both land and cruise.

VRBO is a reputable place to list or rent vacation property. I agree as mentioned above, you partly go through them to get all of the legal paperwork arranged about liability so each property owner doesn't have to do this on their own as well as getting the visibility of your place on a well-known website. You get a physical key from a local agent or some homes are equipped to key pads.

With regard to having a 'party'..........typically home owners don't want a group of wild college kids on spring break to trash their place. However, if adults plan to have a few guests to visit that is usually OK, but can check with the specific owner of the place you are renting. VRBO makes it very easy to communicate with the actual owner on such questions.

Gated communities usually have arrangements for guests coming/going, that isn't specific to VRBO. For example, we got a paper tag to hang on our rear view mirror that showed how long we would be staying (this was not related to a VRBO rental), but I assume all places with rental guests have something similar.

Typically, non-perishable items (i.e. coffee/cereal, herbs/spices....etc.) can be left when departing. VRBO rentals typically have cleaning crews who come in after each rental is over to do bedding, vacuum.....etc. Many homes listed on VRBO are owned by people who live elsewhere, so they coordinate such things this way. The cleaning crew would most likely dispose of any perishable items left behind.

Last edited:
How the process works:
Once you find a place you want to book, it’s time to contact the owner. This can be done in one of two ways. If a phone number is provided, you can call them. The second option is to send them an email through the VRBO system inquiring about the availability of the property and possibly paying a deposit. I prefer option 2 for a couple of reasons. VRBO keeps a record of all correspondence between parties, and you can easily go back and review that information if you need to. Secondly, email just seems to work better and faster. Many times people don’t answer unknown numbers, or your schedule and theirs don’t match up, so you keep playing phone tag.

This is your chance to sell yourself. Tell the owner a little about who you are, who will be staying, and what you plan on doing while there. You don’t have to get super personal or anything, but you want them to feel safe renting their house to you. You also want to make sure this is going to be a good fit for both parties involved. For instance, if you know you want to have a bbq while there, and the homeowner is completely opposed to that, this isn’t the right rental for you. You should keep looking. Some people only want to rent to families or to the elderly or to people without kids. Find the right fit for your family. Owners can reject you without reason. I’ve had people turn me down before, not often, but it has happened. I usually tell them how many people, the general ages, and what we are looking for in the place: a quiet place to relax, we want to grill out, or swim in the heated pool, or play in the included game room, or ride the included bikes. By letting them know which amenities I am interested in, I can find out in advance if anything will be changing before my visit, and give the homeowner time to make sure those things are in good repair and ready for us to use when we arrive.

After sending the initial inquiry email, 1 of 3 things will happen. 1) The homeowner will respond that the place is not actually available. This is fairly common as sometimes multiple people contact the owner on the same day, and they have to choose between them, or the calendar has simply not been updated. If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 2) The homeowner does not respond in the VRBO allotted timeframe, and therefore, the place is not rentable. In this case, an automatic email is sent stating this? If you had to give a deposit, it will be refunded to you at this time. 3) The homeowner responds that they’d like to rent to you.

I don’t always get the first place I try for, but I’ve always been able to find an available rental by the third attempt.

Once an owner has agreed to rent to you, this is where the process starts to look different from rental to rental. From here, you and the owner will work out the details of the rental and the payment. This is the point where you will be given a contract to sign either through VRBO or sent from the owner. Read it carefully. It may answer many of the questions you asked above. For those questions not answered, this is your chance to ask them. If an owner doesn’t seem willing to answer them or isn’t willing to work with you, move on. That’s not the place for you.

At this time, the owner will also direct you on how to pay. Sometimes you can pay through VRBO. Sometimes the owner asks you to send a check or pay using PayPal or by credit card. My first choice is to go through the VRBO system because that adds an extra level of insurance in case of fraud. My second preference is to use PayPal, again you at least have some security. I’m not big on sending checks. I’ve done it a couple of times, but I try to avoid it, and if I have to do it, I’m super picky about the circumstances where I’ll even consider it. I’m flat out not giving an individual person my credit card number over the phone no matter what. I will give it to a legit rental company, but that’s it.

I have never contacted an owner directly to "Sell myself" or convince them to rent to me. Nor have I ever sent money directly to an owner. All arrangements are through VRBO. Once the owner sends the contract and I have contact number, I have contacted them at times with questions.

^^ Same here. It isn't a job interview and you aren't buying the place, it is just a place to stay on vacation. People I know who list places on VRBO have jobs, families and lives of their own. They want potential renters to ask questions via the website so they ask complete/concise questions and almost never give out their phone #. Rarely have they ever talked live with renters.

I agree with the above. I never have and never will go outside of VRBO to pay or book, nor have I ever "sold" myself in order to secure a booking. I can't believe that was even suggested by the previous poster as something that was likely or normal.

I have been given cell numbers close to check-in, which has been nice in case a question came up during the stay.

I agree with the above. I never have and never will go outside of VRBO to pay or book, nor have I ever "sold" myself in order to secure a booking. I can't believe that was even suggested by the previous poster as something that was likely or normal.

I have been given cell numbers close to check-in, which has been nice in case a question came up during the stay.

Agreeing that I've never felt the need to "sell myself" on VBRO, AirBnB or whatever.

I do often (maybe always?) email the owner with questions before doing the booking, but the booking is always through the site.

I booked something through VRBO recently and at the end, the option to purchase trip insurance came up, just as an FYI to the pp who mentioned it.

My most recent experience with VRBO has left me never wanting to use them again. We paid for our rental and confirmed it with the owner but then when we arrived the owner suddenly declared there was a problem with our payment. We checked with the bank and the $ had gone through. We called VRBO who told us their guarantee would help us get a new place to stay. After going back and forth with them over this ridiculous issue of the payment they declared they wouldn't help us. Frustrated, I called AIRBNB who helped us secure a rental for that same day. I will be using them from now on. They are a much better company!!!

Debating renting a vacation home for our anticipated stay between Christmas & NY this year. We rented DVC points almost a decade ago, but usually stay in hotels.

So now I'm looking at VRBO and want to know what advice people have/how it it works. Here are specific questions I have...
How do you get your keys?
Can you get more than one set (possibly split with another family)?
If it's a gated community, how do you get in the gate?
Do occupancy limits only refer to how many people are staying? Can you have others over for a party/get together?
Do you leave left over (unopened) food? Just throw everything out?
Do most allow for cancellations (months in advance)?
Is all payment due upfront, or do you pay installments as you get closer?
Any other tips/advice?

I'm probably missing a website describing all this, but couldn't find it.

Sometimes parking is very limited at the location and that will mean no extra people during the day. The place we rented on VRBO was limited to six persons (we only had four) and one vehicle. Plus if it is located at a private beach there may be limitations on how many from the unit can use the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter