Vulnerable kids at disney

Bless you for your help. I understand worrying even though I'm jealous of people who don't. It would be so great to just go and enjoy. The idea of wiping down everything is super stressful but very very worth it. What is touring plans and Kenny the pirate? My other concern would be waiting in stuffy theatres, lobbies or lines. I hope to avoid even minor sickness and hope that for you too! Have such a good time next week :)
Touring plans is a website which provides a service for a fee that allows ypu to type in the activities/rides/shows you want to do and then they optimize the order of those activities to minimize your wait. It will also show you historical data for your dates to see what the ride wait times were for specific times of the day so you can plan effectively to spend minimal amounts of time in line.

Kenny the pirate runs another for profit site called character locater which gives you detailed info about character meet and greets and tips so you know when to line up.

Don't worry about other people's possible thoughts about your actions, do what you need to do to enjoy your vacation! So what if you are wiping everything down, you are never going to see these people in the park again.

I think if you used sanitizer and wipes you shoudl be good. My friend works at a dentist and she gave us some of the wipes used in the office. I used them on everything in the room that I thought wodul be problematic. Light switches, the toilet handle and faucets, etc. I always put the remote into a zip top baggie right away.

Wipe the seat bets and arm rests in the plane down, and try to keep fingers off of the banisters and railings. Wash hands often.

We always have a travel Lysol, however I do not spay in restaurants etc.

Have fun!

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but keep in mind that with the exception of tetanus, those are airborne diseases you're talking about. (I was shocked this year to get a positive skin test for TB, simply from living in an internationally diverse area or possibly working in nursing homes occasionally - gloves, sanitizer, and disinfectant gave me a false sense of security in that regard, I think. If it's hanging out in the air, it's hanging out in the air, and you can still breathe it in.) [Edit: Just realized I should probably specify that the gloves and such were for when I was working in a healthcare setting, lol, not randomly walking around on the street!]

Again, I'm sorry, and I don't want to put a damper on your trip over what is probably a tiny chance of an issue. That said, I would base the likelihood of contagion based on the percentages (which I think are very low,) as there is just no way to sanitize the air and those germs can hang in the air for quite a bit.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'll be staying at Disney next month with my 10 month old and almost 5 year old. My baby is not old enough for the measles vaccine and my son had an allergic reaction to the DtaP at 4 months old so is not able to have more. I was reading about some Measles AND Diptheria outbreaks near South and central America. I wonder if that could potentially affect Florida with the frequent travelers from that area. We got vacation insurance and now I'm worrying that it's a mistake to go. Would you consider canceling for these reasons?? I'm feeling bad for not thinking of it before. My baby is so young and my boy is not protected from Diptheria. . Our friend took her 6 month old so I guess I felt envious. Idk. Tyvm
I'm not sure how health services work in the states, but here (Canada) we can get information from the public health nurses. I called as I am also bringing a 10 month old in september and had the same worries. I was informed that there are currently no outbreaks in North America and to call back sooner to the trip. If there is an outbreak I was told DS could have the shot.

I am not sure what I would do, but if you go, I agree that you should not worry about what people think if you are wiping things down.

I would still go and exercise precautions. I make my kids take vitamins and probiotics every night, Be I bring a diffuser to diffuse anti-bacterial essential oils in the room.

Hi guys. I'll be staying at Disney next month with my 10 month old and almost 5 year old. My baby is not old enough for the measles vaccine and my son had an allergic reaction to the DtaP at 4 months old so is not able to have more. I was reading about some Measles AND Diptheria outbreaks near South and central America. I wonder if that could potentially affect Florida with the frequent travelers from that area. We got vacation insurance and now I'm worrying that it's a mistake to go. Would you consider canceling for these reasons?? I'm feeling bad for not thinking of it before. My baby is so young and my boy is not protected from Diptheria. . Our friend took her 6 month old so I guess I felt envious. Idk. Tyvm

HI - I was concerned about this when bringing my infant on the trip. I had it scheduled for when baby was 9 months, then for various reason rescheduled to when she was 14 months . I did actually vaccinate at her 12 month visit (much earlier than I would have liked), with the MMR and CP combo due to our upcoming trip. There have been reports of cases in FLA, so I felt Disney was a big risk. As for your son, if he cannot get the vaccine, you cant keep him in a bubble at his age, kwim? So I would not really factor that in. But for the baby, I would personally prefer the child be vaccinated with the MMR.

If you search back, I actually asked this question...here is the link. https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...efore-traveling-to-wdw.3663127/#post-58791192

Last edited:

I actually chose not to do our trip until our little one gets the MMR vaccine. However, plenty of people take their babies before 12 months, so it isn't necessarily a major issue.
For wipes, Huggies has sanitizing wipes (not just diaper wipes) that come in travel packs. I have a pack in the car and in the diaper bag. They have no scent that I've noticed, and work well to clean off high chairs and tables. I like them better than the Clorox wipes...seems to be less smell and no real residue after wiping.

Thank you so much I hope your precious girl is recovered. I assume she didn't get sick from going? May I ask what time of year it was? I'm especially worried about my son for some reason because Diptheria is very serious. He has basically no protection and there are apparently thousands of cases in Venezuela alone. It just occurred to me (way too late in the game) that it could get imported to Florida easily. I've been wanting to go to Disney for so so so so long and this will be our only chance for many years. Ahhh. Thank you again and best wishes for your family!. :)
I don't think many families from Venezuela go to Disney World. Venezuala is a very different country than Brazil or Argentina, and is in a very different economic condition. I wouldn't worry unless an outbreak actually happened in Florida.

But certainly, bring anti-bacterial wipes & use them a lot. Not just to protect against diptheria or measles, as those are both very unlikely to be present, but to protect against the much more likely specters of cold, strep and flu germs.

Last edited:

I don't think that it's any more dangerous at Disney World than at the grocery store, church, the mall, etc. in your hometown.

Okay guys I'm freaking the flip out. There was a measles case reported in Florida today. I'm devastated. That's the last thing I expected to find when I googled measles and I'm not sure what to do. I really didn't want to vaccinate my baby early but I might have to consider it or cancel. I was expecting no cases in Florida between now and next month. I kmow hundreds of babies go to Disney and don't even think about this but I'm very neurotic. The schedule where I'm from is to get MMR at 15 months and that it's more effective at that age.

Based on the new info, should I cancel ? :( Measles is pretty inevitable if you're anywhere near the sick person unlike surface germs.

I'm glad to hear that.
Yes I want to bring all of those supplies. My worry is that Lysol wipes smell so strong and I'm not sure how much I can get away with in public haha. Did you notice if anyone was bothered by the smells or cared? I feel a little self conscious.
The well being/safety of a child trumps all.
Do what’s necessary to care for your child... I prefer the liquid spray types rather than physical wipes. Much smaller profile and can fit anywhere.. no odor.
Have a wonderful safe n healthy visit .

Okay guys I'm freaking the flip out. There was a measles case reported in Florida today. I'm devastated. That's the last thing I expected to find when I googled measles and I'm not sure what to do. I really didn't want to vaccinate my baby early but I might have to consider it or cancel. I was expecting no cases in Florida between now and next month. I kmow hundreds of babies go to Disney and don't even think about this but I'm very neurotic. The schedule where I'm from is to get MMR at 15 months and that it's more effective at that age.

Based on the new info, should I cancel ? :( Measles is pretty inevitable if you're anywhere near the sick person unlike surface germs.

There isn't any way to reschedule?

Unfortunately no but we have insurance so I think we will cancel. My babes come first. I knew this would happen :( Thank you everyone.

I'm so sorry. I am so much like you. I look around and say, "But they do it and they are fine!". But then reality sets in for me and I just can't gamble certain things that I would regret if something bad happened.

I would talk to your pediatrician before you cancel. I don't think there is very high risk. One child in Tampa has measles, and they expect it to be an isolated case and are taking no further public precautions. 107 people have had it in the US in the first half of 2018. I stress out more about going to the germy pediatricians office than I do about going to Disney. And yes, sanitize all you want - but realize that is not protecting you against a majority of bugs that are airborne - so consider if it's really necessary to constantly be dousing your hands in sanitizer, or if washing after restroom stops and before meals, and wiping down table surfaces might be good enough.

I would talk to your pediatrician before you cancel. I don't think there is very high risk. One child in Tampa has measles, and they expect it to be an isolated case and are taking no further public precautions. 107 people have had it in the US in the first half of 2018. I stress out more about going to the germy pediatricians office than I do about going to Disney. And yes, sanitize all you want - but realize that is not protecting you against a majority of bugs that are airborne - so consider if it's really necessary to constantly be dousing your hands in sanitizer, or if washing after restroom stops and before meals, and wiping down table surfaces might be good enough.

I appreciate this perspective. I'd rather not go crazy with sanitizing but that's probably what will happen lol. All I can do is attempt to dodge coughing people as far as airborne bacteria goes. Many babies and children don't get sick at all from going even without using precautions so that's something. I never got sick from our previous trips and we weren't germ focused back then. I think we did sanitize before eating.

Would you be more concerned given that Tampa is not far from Orlando? I guess my neurotic brain assumes that a ton of people from there could be passholders and spread it further than someone who is not from Florida. It's such a tough decision make. I know measles has a good recovery rate but it's so gosh darn infectious. That's not the souvenir we want. :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!