Vulnerable kids at disney

I'm so sorry. I am so much like you. I look around and say, "But they do it and they are fine!". But then reality sets in for me and I just can't gamble certain things that I would regret if something bad happened.

Yup exactly. I know there will be hundreds of babies that are too young for certain vaccines at Disney or even unvaccinated children by choice. It's just simple math but those aren't my babies. I have pessimistic streaks and assume the worst will happen to us. We really do have a special gift of close calls.

I was watching a Live Disney YouTube video and the amount of young babies around was staggering. I'll think to myself and say, "See, they're bringing their babies" but it hasn't been enough to tip the scale yet.

In the uk babies are immunised against MMR at 12-13 months so I wouldn’t worry too much about getting it early.

I’m in the US, and my son got MMR at 12 months. He’s only 2.5 years old, so this wasn’t a crazy long time ago or anything.

Do I understand correctly that the measles case was in Tampa? That’s like 75 miles from Orlando. What are you going to do if there’s a measles case reported where you live? I admit I felt a sense of relief after my son got his vaccinations, but I didn’t worry about traveling before that. There just aren’t enough reported cases in most parts of the country that made me feel like it was too risky to travel.

You’re the only one that can decide what’s best for your family. If you would be more comfortable cancelling, then do so. This is one of those “you do you” situations.

I agree with everyone on hand sanitizers! We use it after each ride. We have taken my DS on 26 trips ( not counting day trips when we lived in Orlando.) Out of those 26 trips we had to take him to the urgent care near Disney 8 different trips. He catches things very easily even with hand sanitizing, and maybe we've just been unlucky. We homeschool and normally go during low crowd times. He has followed an immunization schedule, and we do always get flu shots......but it's Disney. Lots of germs, kids touching rails, ride enclosures, playgrounds etc. It's never held us back from going, but I always dread catching things there :(

I took my DS for the first time at 8 months. He’s turning 10 in November. I’m the type of person that uses hand sanitizer at home and wipes down tables at my local restaurants. So for me there’s no real extra work when you’re just use to doing it. But I would take a baby again. You do the best you can and just have fun. If it makes you feel better talk to your pediatrician then decide. If this decision is causing you anxiety I would definitely listen to the pediatrician before us lol. That might ultimately help.

Would you be more concerned given that Tampa is not far from Orlando? I guess my neurotic brain assumes that a ton of people from there could be passholders and spread it further than someone who is not from Florida. It's such a tough decision make. I know measles has a good recovery rate but it's so gosh darn infectious. That's not the souvenir we want. :drive:

No, I would not be more concerned because Tampa is an hour from Disney. Statistically you and your children are much more in danger during the car ride to and from Disney than you are from possibly contracting measles there. Would you cancel because of the risk the car ride poses?

What did your pediatrician say? You can just call and ask and they should get back to you. What does your husband think?

I took a 9m old. Cutest thing ever when he saw giant Piglet. I wouldn't cancel over such an irrational worry. Next time it will be a bad flu season, or some new mosquito disease - there will always be something to worry about.

Life is all about taking calculated risks. I could get hit by a bus today, but the risk of that is so low that it will have zero impact on what I do today. You can’t live your life constantly worrying about the “what ifs” or you will go crazy with worry. I would go, take reasonable precautions to limit the exposure to germs, and not think twice about it.

No, I would not be more concerned because Tampa is an hour from Disney. Statistically you and your children are much more in danger during the car ride to and from Disney than you are from possibly contracting measles there. Would you cancel because of the risk the car ride poses?

What did your pediatrician say? You can just call and ask and they should get back to you. What does your husband think?

I took a 9m old. Cutest thing ever when he saw giant Piglet. I wouldn't cancel over such an irrational worry. Next time it will be a bad flu season, or some new mosquito disease - there will always be something to worry about.

Thank you so much. You guys are amazing. Even Disney message board members are magical. How did they do that? ;) I think my (hopefully irrational) thought is that there could be many many passholders in a big nearby city like that and they could end up being infected at Disney when we are. I was already fretting measles quite a bit before knowing Florida had a case. I guess that Disneyland outbreak really stayed in my brain. I'm trying to drown out those voices because I get on the verge of tears when I think of all this planning for nothing.

I'm trying to drown out those voices because I get on the verge of tears when I think of all this planning for nothing.

I know it's hard to do that. Our brains can become kind of hardwired to make us so fearful of something that has such a very minuscule chance of happening, and no amount of logic can really get around it. I am on anxiety medication (and have been for over 5 years) because of those same types of irrational worries - not just germs, but a few other things as well. It was so hard to accept that I couldn't fix it myself, and I tried for a very very long time, and I was pretty much devastated about "giving in" and trying medication. It is the best thing I have probably ever done for myself and my family - because it was definitely negatively affecting them.

So, maybe this is just one random thing you got fixated on, and other than this you're a-okay, but if you think it's a bigger problem and anxiety is in any way diminishing your enjoyment of life, or making you live in a perpetually stressed out state, please know it's okay to seek help for that, and you are not in any way a weak person for doing so.

Yup exactly. I know there will be hundreds of babies that are too young for certain vaccines at Disney or even unvaccinated children by choice. It's just simple math but those aren't my babies. I have pessimistic streaks and assume the worst will happen to us. We really do have a special gift of close calls.

I was watching a Live Disney YouTube video and the amount of young babies around was staggering. I'll think to myself and say, "See, they're bringing their babies" but it hasn't been enough to tip the scale yet.

It is scary and worrisome, I understand. Especially with an infant, we began taking my DS at 2 so he was a bit older. I didn't worry as much. As I said before, he has caught many 'bugs' at Disney. We took our DD this past April at just over 6 months old.....she hadn't even had her 6 month vaccines yet. I think I was extra cautious this time. The only thing she came home with was an allergic reaction to swim diapers.... I hope you all have a safe and super healthy trip!!

The well being/safety of a child trumps all.
Do what’s necessary to care for your child... I prefer the liquid spray types rather than physical wipes. Much smaller profile and can fit anywhere.. no odor.
Have a wonderful safe n healthy visit .

Even the health of others around them? So if you cause someone else to have an asthma attack from spraying all over too bad so sad? People can be health conscience and courteous. No spraying around food or in close quarters please!

Just so you know this is an option - you can always get the vaccination now and then have an antibody titer done! (That's to make sure he has appropriate antibodies so that the shot was fully effective.) I think I ended up having the MMR 3 times - once as an infant, once when they were recommending boosters for some reason, and once when I couldn't locate my proof of vaccination when entering grad school. There's nothing to say he can't get it again!

Even the health of others around them? So if you cause someone else to have an asthma attack from spraying all over too bad so sad? People can be health conscience and courteous. No spraying around food or in close quarters please!

I don't love the smell of the Clorox wipes and Lysol wipes myself so I might consider using the Wet Ones which have a very light scent. I plan to only use them at quick service locations and would want to be far away from people anyway. Hee hee.

I know things can happen but we could cut down on germ anxiety so much if people would be more considerate about their germs in public. I'm not normally germaphobic in my smaller community but all bets are off at Disney. I plan to make every effort to avoid being near anyone with whatever I end up using though ;)

I will admit that I considered immunization timing when planning a trip. Mine are completely immunized but we did a delayed schedule. I would go but take all those great precaution tips. The reality is, they are more and more parents choosing to not immunize that there is always a possibility of being exposed at the mall or grocery store or doctors office or church or even school with exemptions. No debate on immunization, but just a fact.

You should be okay getting the MMR at 12 months. But be aware, it takes 2-4 weeks for antibodies to be produced. So getting him vaccinated a few days before you go probably won't help.
As others have said, I'd call your pediatrician and discuss with them.

I'm about to breakdown crying. I just read that there are now three cases of measles in Pinellas County. I feel sick to my stomach. Our trip is in 4 weeks. This feels too close to home and I was already rattled by the one case. We have vacation insurance but our final payment is due tomorrow. The timing is unbelievable. I feel cursed. I've been watching the news for measles all summer and there had never been more than one case every month or so in distant states. This seems like it's going to grow more. Florida is the only state I've seen that is offering almost no infirmation. They reported after the first case that they expected it to be an isolated thing. I guess not. Since families that don't vaccinate often have liked minded peers, I think this is going to spread a lot more and I won't be able to know anything.

I know I'm highly anxious and I don't know how much is just my own fear. I could really use your honest opinions. Would you still go to Disney World with an unvaccinated older infant?

:(

I'm about to breakdown crying. I just read that there are now three cases of measles in Pinellas County. I feel sick to my stomach. Our trip is in 4 weeks. This feels too close to home and I was already rattled by the one case. We have vacation insurance but our final payment is due tomorrow. The timing is unbelievable. I feel cursed. I've been watching the news for measles all summer and there had never been more than one case every month or so in distant states. This seems like it's going to grow more. Florida is the only state I've seen that is offering almost no infirmation. They reported after the first case that they expected it to be an isolated thing. I guess not. Since families that don't vaccinate often have liked minded peers, I think this is going to spread a lot more and I won't be able to know anything.

I know I'm highly anxious and I don't know how much is just my own fear. I could really use your honest opinions. Would you still go to Disney World with an unvaccinated older infant?

I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress. Unfortunately no one here can make this decision for you. For me personally, yes I would still go. 3 cases of measles would not change my prior response.

Have you contacted the pediatrician yet about your concerns? What did they say?

Have you had your titers checked? Many adults who think they have immunity from vaccines actually don’t. If you are this concerned about measles in general, you might consider seeing if you still have immunity. It might make you feel better about helping keep your kids protected.

I don't want to be a Debbie downer either but I would personally probably delay. We had a trip planned for when my son was 6 months. Low and behold that was when the measles Disneyland thing occurred. My pediatrician begged me to reschedule until after he got the vaccination (at 12 months) and we went when he was 13 months. You cannot protect yourself against measles. Do some research. One drop in the air can infect many people and it may not be too serious for adults but it can be for children.

This summer there has been an outbreak in Brazil where over 1,000 people have contracted the virus and some have died. Many Brazilians travel to WDW. There has also been a case in Tampa. My son is now 3 1/2 and has been vaccinated but is due for his booster at 4. We have a trip coming up next week. Since he has already been vaccinated I don't think we will cancel because the vaccine is good through ages 4-6 but I have contemplated it and my friend who works fo the CDC in monitoring the situation for me. This is just my opinion and it is not an pro/anti vax sort of thing. To me no trip is worth chancing my son getting sick.

Please talk to your doctor and then decide. I am waiting for a call back for my Ped as I type.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter