VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Neat to see people’s work history.

I am a former (recovering) restaurant manager. Started out as busboy, moved to Cook, and on up the chain. Graduated from University of Minnesota at which point moved to management.
At 34 I couldn’t let so many youngsters dictate the outcome of my day any longer so I went and sold siding, windows, & roofing (yep, I was a “tin man”) for 3 years.
After that, I joined a friend who had an Appliance delivery, install & a bit of sales business — he was a one man operation and it was too overwhelming for him. We worked together for 5 years and he decided to retire. Instead of taking that on I went to work in the warehouse of an appliance distributor that we did business with. 6 years there and I watched it go under in the housing crash, 200+ lost their jobs. So, then I landed where I’ve been for the last 9 years. I currently do shipping & receiving for an automation industry distributor. All the pneumatics, conveyor systems, robots, industrial computers and the like.
And, the most unlikely thing you weren’t expecting to hear— I have delivered pizzas part-time for Dominos for 30 some years (oh, the stories...)

This is so interesting learning more about my fellow groupies. I am going to do me - then since the hubster is in unofficial groupie that some of you met I will do him next.

Me
- started working as a fast food cook at 16. That lasted about a year and a half when I quit because my boss was asking me to train people she was paying more than me.
- hair stylist at a Fiesta Salon - way back in the mid 80's
-SAHM - by far the most amazing and worthwhile and important job I have ever had. It resulted in two amazing daughters who are personally and socially responsible adults.
-Preschool teacher for 3 year olds. I loved this job so much - until the school administration and a few crazy parents (literally) made it hell.
-Photographer - I still do this occassionally
-(current)E-commerce shop owner (Etsy). This job doesn't provide a huge income because what I do takes quite a while to create. But it is 100% mine. It keeps me incredibly busy and I love it so much.

Ian (hubby)
-grocery store stock boy
-stock boy at the Limited
-(current)Started working for Rockwell International which became Rockwell Collins and will be changing again in the next year. Ian has worked for them for 32 years started as a test engineer, moved onto software engineering, systems engineering, two different levels of management and now is a Chief Systems Engineer for the same company.
-(current)University of Texas at Dallas - Faculty advisor. Ian mentors three different groups of engineering students with projects they are working on for other companies. When he retires he is hoping to start working for UTD as Adjunct Professor in the engineering dept.

Last edited:
This is so interesting learning more about my fellow groupies. I am going to do me - then since the hubster is in unofficial groupie that some of you met I will do him next.

Me
- started working as a fast food cook at 16. That lasted about a year and a half when I quit because my boss was asking me to train people she was paying more than me.
- hair stylist at a Fiesta Salon - way back in the mid 80's
-SAHM - by far the most amazing and worthwhile and important job I have ever had. It resulted in two amazing daughters who are personally and socially responsible adults.
-Preschool teacher for 3 year old. I loved this job so much - until the school administration and a few crazy (literally) made it hell.
-Photographer - I still do this occassionally
-(current)E-commerce shop owner (Etsy). This job doesn't provide a huge income because what I do takes quite a while to create. But it is 100% mine. It keeps me incredibly busy and I love it so much.

Ian (hubby)
-grocery store stock boy
-stock boy at the Limited
-(current)Started working for Rockwell International which became Rockwell Collins and will be changing again in the next year. Ian has worked for them for 32 years started as a test engineer, moved onto software engineering, systems engineering, two different levels of management and now is a Chief Systems Engineer for the same company.
-(current)University of Texas at Dallas - Faculty advisor. Ian mentors three different groups of engineering students with projects they are working on for other companies. When he retires he is hoping to start working for UTD as Adjunct Professor in the engineering dept.
I am going to admit that I googled “SAHM” — I feel so stupid.....:)

Crash reading to catch up! Happy Birthday Blossomz! I love the work history info. My first job was in high school working for Marshall's clothing store. In college I worked the checkout and Christmas layaway at Walmart (that's a job that will teach to be humble and patient). My first job out of college was teaching 6th grade at a public middle school here in town. 3 years later, I quit to be a SAHM for 11 years. I did work some preschool jobs off and on during my time at home. When my youngest was 4 I went back to teaching at a private Christian school teaching 2nd grade. A few years later I moved to 3rd grade, and then at the 7 year mark, I moved to the middle school (all at the same school). I'm on year 11 teaching. I plan to teach a few more until DD 14 graduates, then I will decide what I want to do with my life when I grow up! :yay:

We moved DD21 to St. Augustine last weekend and got her all settled in. She started occupational therapy school this week. Gonna be a long 2 years I think. They told them that they needed to devote at least 3 hours of study for every credit hour they have each week. 17 hours x 3 = 51 hours of study per week! :crazy: I did send her off with an DVC AP in hand, so if she can find the time, she can at least go to the parks. I took Twinklebugs advice and called member services so that they have a magic file number on her, and she can validate the AP without us being there.

Last but not least, any groupies have any advice about what building to request for the Poly Villas? We have a standard view reserved.

Work histories hmm? Well, since I've been job hunting lately I could easily cut and past my resume...but those are anything but fun. Instead, I'll pop in the lesser known items hidden between the lines :)

In college I worked for Sears (hated it) and Lechmere (I Loved it! My bosses were Tom & Jerry :D). I sold boom boxes, Walkman tape players and radar detectors which were the hottest thing for thieves to pry off the counter and run through the doors with. Why did we have them next to the doors?

Interned for a summer at the DOT in Cambridge, Safety & Security division. I'm positive they've since been renamed but still exist as the TSA. We mostly ran out contracts and researched accident scenarios and how to prevent injuries. One group was doing the high tech stuff regarding computer hacking, which no one had ever heard of back then. (I came back to work with this group for a few summers afterward while in the next job)

Worked with a small chemical engineering company while I was in school. We calculated and plotted out chemical disbursement scenarios in the case of accidents. Graduated with my BSCS and kept working for this place for a short bit.

Helped to start up a Chocolate company. It didn't last much more than 2 years, but I now know how to temper and tie a bow.

Over the years I worked with a number of companies as a programmer analyst and project manager. Most of those companies no longer exist as they went under or were absorbed by larger.

Worked for myself a number of years developing online K-12 classroom experiences. Developed and moderated chat forums for some big name companies. Heart broken over one live chat in which the lead climber was caught in a storm and passed away. (See movie: Everest) It was my job to break it to our kids that something horrible had happened and we were shutting off the live chat with base.

Over the last 10 years I've worked as a database programmer/analyst for a dying breed of code: pensions.

Most fulfilling job: Raised 3 kids on my own. A couple are still figuring out their paths in life, but aren't we all? :)

Last edited:
Made it back home this evening after fun filled 4 day mini-vacation. Lots of rides - and a lot of work on my Buzz Lightyear score. Hadn't done so well the past there - different guns, different targets, different tracks - but finally started to get in a bit of a groove and got up to 680,000. I don't think I had done over 200,000 on any previous trips so leaps and bounds better! Disneyland is FULL of construction right now but we still had plenty to do. And MAX pass is the best thing ever. :)

And the best thing today? SKOL - go Vikings!

KAT: From which room is this picture taken (if I may be so bold to ask)?

You may! It is from 6500. It's the second time we've gotten that room this year! A dedicated 2BR.

Happy birthday!

@KAT4DISNEY any requests I should put in for my VGC studio? I need to put in requests for my Feb trip at WDW soon so I may as well add VGC requests at the same time.

Views are generally Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar Pier but they'll understand Paradise Pier), Grizzly Peak view or Pool view. One thing about the studios is that many of them are tucked into the corner of the building so you view is cut off one direction but a few studios are in the middle of the wing. I like to just request high floor, park view as I'm good with either the Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak side but am not disappointed by the pool view either. If you want a view similar to what I posted I'd actually ask to request specific room numbers in this order: 6504, 5504, 4404, 5510, 4510, 3504, 3510.

Paradise Pier view is generally the loudest because of the park noise but will be quiet at night.

Last edited:
Made it back home this evening after fun filled 4 day mini-vacation. Lots of rides - and a lot of work on my Buzz Lightyear score. Hadn't done so well the past there - different guns, different targets, different tracks - but finally started to get in a bit of a groove and got up to 680,000. I don't think I had done over 200,000 on any previous trips so leaps and bounds better! Disneyland is FULL of construction right now but we still had plenty to do. And MAX pass is the best thing ever. :)

You may! It is from 6500. It's the second time we've gotten that room this year! A dedicated 2BR.

Views are generally Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar Pier but they'll understand Paradise Pier), Grizzly Peak view or Pool view. One thing about the studios is that many of them are tucked into the corner of the building so you view is cut off one direction but a few studios are in the middle of the wing. I like to just request high floor, park view as I'm good with either the Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak side but am not disappointed by the pool view either. If you want a view similar to what I posted I'd actually ask to request specific room numbers in this order: 6504, 5504, 4404, 5510, 4510, 3504, 3510.

Paradise Pier view is generally the loudest because of the park noise but will be quiet at night.
We have a 1BR, and we've requested high floor, park view. We specifically like 6502 for obvious reasons. I thought your picture looked similar to views we've seen in and around 6502. Thanks!

Last but not least, any groupies have any advice about what building to request for the Poly Villas? We have a standard view reserved.

Erin...I think this request may have been missed by many. I don't have any info on Poly villas, but wanted to bring this back to help get you a response. :)

Kathy...glad you had a great trip. I guess I need to get serious about my DL planning since we are three months out now. I'm sure we'll do MAX pass...is that something that only one of us needs to buy or will both DW and I have to buy it?

I won't call the Vikings "lucky", but the football gods were surely smiling on them with that last play. :cheer2:

Hi Groupies! Trying to stay involved and since it's a slow day at work, here is me:
  • My first job was Sam Goody (music store) where I eventually became a supervisor (at 19? say what?)
  • Bank teller at several banks (thank you mergers) where I eventually became a supervisor
  • Graduated Cal State Long Beach with a Journalism degree; continued working at the bank on the management track after graduation
  • The phone company did a mass hiring for engineers when DSL was first being launched, no experience necessary (just a degree), for double the pay. Needless to say I became a telephone engineer for 4 years; then transferred to the proposals group in the phone company (editing, writing, project management); only lasted a year
  • Left the phone company for an aerospace company and continued in the proposals business (gov't contracts basically)
  • After 9 years, I transferred to Employee Communications where I was the Executive Editor of our internal magazine
  • After 3 years, I transferred back to the proposals group, which is where I have been for a little over a year!

My favorite standard view that we've had at PVB is Tokelau looking towards the quiet pool. There are a few rooms at the lagoon end in Tokealu that have a sideways view of MK but I think they are heavily requested - still could be something to try and get. dIt also has the shortest walk to the Great Ceremonial House. Moorea and Pago Pago are closer to the TTC but none of the buildings are that far away. Moorea has the laundry in the building and requesting it will give you a garden view of some sort. Pago Pago is the closest to the parking lot but that means that half the building faces that way. However the monorail also would likely be in view.

Kathy...glad you had a great trip. I guess I need to get serious about my DL planning since we are three months out now. I'm sure we'll do MAX pass...is that something that only one of us needs to buy or will both DW and I have to buy it?
I won't call the Vikings "lucky", but the football gods were surely smiling on them with that last play. :cheer2:

MAX pass has to be purchased by everyone Granny. It's $10 per person and can be purchased on the app once you enter either of the parks. It allows you to select FP's at either of the parks if you have a hopper. My tip is that if you aren't seeing times you like back out of the selection screen and go back in. Almost every time the availability would change to earlier times. And a couple times FP showed up for rides that had just been showing none. I got us SM FP's around 8 or 9PM after they had been "out" for quite some time.

And don't worry - I'd call the Vikings lucky! But to take advantage of the luck they had to be right there ready to do so. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter