VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

MAX pass has to be purchased by everyone Granny. It's $10 per person and can be purchased on the app once you enter either of the parks. It allows you to select FP's at either of the parks if you have a hopper. My tip is that if you aren't seeing times you like back out of the selection screen and go back in. Almost every time the availability would change to earlier times. And a couple times FP showed up for rides that had just been showing none. I got us SM FP's around 8 or 9PM after they had been "out" for quite some time.

Is there a MAX pass app? I plan to purchase it since my time is so limited.

And thanks for the room recommendations. I probably won't request a specific room number since as I said my time is so short I likely won't be in the room much, but I will request high floor, park side. Maybe I'll get lucky when they see my birthday is check in day & they'll give me something fabulous. :D

Is there a MAX pass app? I plan to purchase it since my time is so limited.

And thanks for the room recommendations. I probably won't request a specific room number since as I said my time is so short I likely won't be in the room much, but I will request high floor, park side. Maybe I'll get lucky when they see my birthday is check in day & they'll give me something fabulous. :D

MAX pass is part of the Disneyland app. :thumbsup2

Max Pass is fantastic! We are DL locals and just upgraded to the "let's not talk about the price" pass that includes it. It definitely allowed us to stay in the park longer this weekend! Normally, if it's too crowded/lines are too long, we will just go home. Ha.

Good Morning Groupies!
I've enjoyed reading about everyones work history. We really are a wide and varied bunch.

After high school graduation I went to work for a local bank as a teller, working my way up to branch mgr. My banking career ended abruptly with the (early) birth of our daughter.

And thats really the extent of my employment. I've always done, and still do home activities that bring in spending money; leaded art glass, candy making, sewing/embroidery, and most recently embroidery digitizing. And somewhere in there I managed to become an eBay power seller. Believe it or not, my eBay years were done with a dial-up connection!

Enjoy your day today!

Hey all! Our first stay at WL and the Boulder Ridge Villas is coming up in March. We have a studio booked with rented points. Can someone tell me if the rooms on the 5th floor (I believe this is the highest floor) have the open or enclosed balconies? Thanks!

Hey all! Our first stay at WL and the Boulder Ridge Villas is coming up in March. We have a studio booked with rented points. Can someone tell me if the rooms on the 5th floor (I believe this is the highest floor) have the open or enclosed balconies? Thanks!

The top floor will generally have enclosed balconies if you are near the elevators. Here's a picture that shows some of the enclosed balconies on the top floor.

VWL Back.jpg

But if you are down the hallway on either side, you will have a standard balcony (here's the front of VWL).

VWL front.jpg

The top floor will generally have enclosed balconies if you are near the elevators. Here's a picture that shows some of the enclosed balconies on the top floor.

View attachment 295788
Love your pics Granny.
Come on trees, grow!

Has anyone figured out what that cylinder in the middle of your pic is? I heard it has something to do with the old quarries, but have never seen anything like it. (I apologize if I missed the discussion on this.)

Last edited:
MAX pass is part of the Disneyland app. :thumbsup2

Found the app last night. Now I just need to buy my park tickets. :goodvibes I definitely plan to buy the MAX Pass. My dining window opens next week too. I was considering doing Napa Rose for my birthday dinner, but I read you can get the menu at the lounge so I'll probably just do that. Not sure I'll make any other reservations. It's just 2 nights & my only other must have is the Monte Cristo sandwich which a CA local friend told me you can get at one of the quick service places. I don't remember which one. Better look that up! :laughing:

39 days until I check into VWL. I've missed staying there so much. Can't wait to be home again. :goodvibes

Got an email yesterday about my 1 night stay at AKV. No more payments by cash now? That's odd & I hope it doesn't roll out to all resorts. I put down a credit card at check in but I rarely charge to the room. I use gift cards for dining, but for small purchases I still like to pay cash. They shouldn't force people to use credit cards or put down large cash deposits to cover anything charged to the room. Really wonder sometimes what upper management is thinking. :confused3

Found the app last night. Now I just need to buy my park tickets. :goodvibes I definitely plan to buy the MAX Pass. My dining window opens next week too. I was considering doing Napa Rose for my birthday dinner, but I read you can get the menu at the lounge so I'll probably just do that. Not sure I'll make any other reservations. It's just 2 nights & my only other must have is the Monte Cristo sandwich which a CA local friend told me you can get at one of the quick service places. I don't remember which one. Better look that up! :laughing:

39 days until I check into VWL. I've missed staying there so much. Can't wait to be home again. :goodvibes

Got an email yesterday about my 1 night stay at AKV. No more payments by cash now? That's odd & I hope it doesn't roll out to all resorts. I put down a credit card at check in but I rarely charge to the room. I use gift cards for dining, but for small purchases I still like to pay cash. They shouldn't force people to use credit cards or put down large cash deposits to cover anything charged to the room. Really wonder sometimes what upper management is thinking. :confused3
We loved Carthay Circle when we were there and recommend it highly. You can always rack up reward dollars with your Disney Visa card instead of cash...:)

no idea but maybe go to the touringplans view ? We are also staying there in a studio in April, and requested first floor.... ENJOY!!!!

Happy New Year groupies! Took me awhile to catch up again. We had a mostly good trip with a few hiccups. See my review of 12/30 & 31 above. On our arrival day (28th) we had planned to head to DS for a mid afternoon lunch, but DH wanted to see the final version of construction so we drove over to VWL. It was easier to do it this day as we only had the car for a one day rental. Didn't work out so well. Guard refused to let us in. We really were there to eat & spend money but he said no not without a reservation. My reply was they don't take reservations at GP to which he replied well I guess you're not coming in then. :mad: He was kind of rude. So we had to U-turn & head to DS anyway. Drove out of our way to VWL & then couldn't get in. We did make it back there on on 2nd MK day 1/2 & I was so sad the tree was already down. :sad2: So DH never got to see that which was a bummer since he hasn't been to the Lodge at Christmas in 2 years. GP was closed because it was cold & windy. The entire trip was cold & windy. We had 2 decent days the entire week which was disappointing especially after it had been so cold during my earlier in Dec. trip. So overall our trip(s) to the Lodge were kind of a bust. DH did say he thought they did a nice job with GP & the overall landscaping, but he agreed with me the new pool is awful. Stupid boulders. :headache:

Horselover, was this because it was over the holiday week that they wouldn't let you in? I'll be in Florida in a few weeks and would like to drive over and visit the lodge. Don't they usually allow this?

Home today because of winter weather in Alabama. Two snows in one year. Not sure that has ever happened here.
When I called MS the other day the CM recommended Tokelau for the poly request. She also mentioned it was the building that had the laundry (which we might need this trip). But looking at Tikiman's site I thought it read that it didn't have laundry in that building. Anyone have a clue. I figure Tikiman probably is in the know. Anyone have experience with laundry at the poly studios?

According to the first page of this thread, it looks like most of the Groupies are skipping early December trips this year? Right now there is no one checking in after December 7 through December 17 (today's 11 month date). I know we'll have a good time regardless, but was wondering if everyone had reported their trips yet for December?

Horselover, was this because it was over the holiday week that they wouldn't let you in? I'll be in Florida in a few weeks and would like to drive over and visit the lodge. Don't they usually allow this?

Home today because of winter weather in Alabama. Two snows in one year. Not sure that has ever happened here.
When I called MS the other day the CM recommended Tokelau for the poly request. She also mentioned it was the building that had the laundry (which we might need this trip). But looking at Tikiman's site I thought it read that it didn't have laundry in that building. Anyone have a clue. I figure Tikiman probably is in the know. Anyone have experience with laundry at the poly studios?

It was 12/28. I've driven over to the Lodge many, many times when staying on site including holiday weeks & have never been turned away when I said I was there to visit. DH says the guard was just doing his job. I say he was a jerk. Might have been doing his job but his was quite rude about it.

Not sure about the laundry but if you're requesting Tokelau ask for a room on the pool side. I had the last room on the end on the other side when I stayed in Oct. Although it did have the nice sideways but clear view of the fireworks the noise was awful. Boat horns starting at 6:00 am & lasting well into the late hours. Never again will I request Tokelau. I actually preferred my room in Pago Pago but I did have the garden side not the parking lot side. It was way quieter & I didn't find the walk to the ceremonial house to be much longer.

According to the first page of this thread, it looks like most of the Groupies are skipping early December trips this year? Right now there is no one checking in after December 7 through December 17 (today's 11 month date). I know we'll have a good time regardless, but was wondering if everyone had reported their trips yet for December?

I'll be there 12/8-12 at BLT. Thought I had tagged Sleepy to add me but maybe he missed it. I'll PM him.

We loved Carthay Circle when we were there and recommend it highly.

Ron...I appreciate this recommendation. We are 90 days out from our first visit to DL in 22 years and I haven't planned anything other than I need to buy a MAX Pass when I get there. We won't have a car so we will be eating on property or anywhere within walking distance of the parks. I'm seeing so many conflicting reports about the dining options and I am happy to see someone give a thumbs up to a restaurant. :thanks:

Its snowing here in NC. Last week, it was going to be a trace. Sunday the weatherman said possible 1-3" Yesterday they mentioned, it could be 4", this am, they said up to 6", last forecast my daughter heard a bit ago, now up to 9", my DS just said update again, now up to 12".:scared1:

Good afternoon from snowy Richmond, VA! Yep, after a 6 year hiatus on the thread (where has the time gone!), we weren't even sure if it was still around - and Yea! you all are! It's nice to see some of the "old timers" are still here and (obviously) tons of new. Job changes/retirement (and then unretirement), family etc have kept us away for a long time. We have not been to the World in two years but have started our planning for November/December. :-) I must say - it's nice to read and "see" everyone again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter