VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

The way too enjoy a cup o joe with our home looming in the background View attachment 309640
Loving it. Gave me the oddest sense of
déjà vu. Then I looked down and saw my own mug sitting before me echoing your image. :laughing:

@sleepydog25 I'm so happy to hear you got a call. No clue how far up the ladder your message will go, but it's traveled a lot further than anything I've ever had to say to Disney on anything. Regarding these parking fees, I've also written out a note as I feel it is yet another punch in the gut to those who have to pay it even though it doesn't effect our DVC stays. It's just wrong and whittles away at that overall magic that used to exist in everything Disney did. 99% sure my note will hit the trash can as that's my luck with everything.

Last edited:
I suspect this parking fee situation has something to do with the Contemporary / BLT parking issues that I’ve heard about...

Nope, not even a little bit. If it were they would be charging for day guests but the only ones they are charging are overnight who are already paying for the expensive rooms. When you look at any of the lots after the parks close they have TONS of spots open. So they'll continue to be tight during the day and open at night but Disney will be adding more $$$$'s to their bottom line while guests at the resorts experience the exact same parking issues at times.

If your dad is coming in for the day it doesn't even matter if you're DVC or not - he won't be charged. If he's coming in to stay for a night on your reservation then as DVC he shouldn't be charged.

Loving it. Gave me the oddest sense of déjà vu. Then I looked down and saw my own mug sitting before me echoing your image. :laughing:

@sleepydog25 I'm so happy to hear you got a call. No clue how far up the ladder your message will go, but it's traveled a lot further than anything I've ever had to say to Disney on anything. Regarding these parking fees, I've also written out a note as I feel it is yet another punch in the gut to those who have to pay it even though it doesn't effect our DVC stays. It's just wrong and whittles away at that overall magic that used to exist in everything Disney did. 99% sure my note will hit the trash can as that's my luck with everything.
I was very surprised by the call. I figured I might get an email reply with stock lines like "thanks for your feedback" and "your thoughts are important to us." I got the live equivalent of those, to be sure, but again, I can't help but believe the "no longer recommending Disney" statement pinged some algorithm they have set up to filter comments. Outside of talking to a manager re: service or food issues, this is the furthest any comment I've made/emailed has gotten to my knowledge. I'll let you know if Iger calls me personally. . .pirate: :rotfl:

Maria
We are in 8436!
How long are you here for? We are headed to studios tomorrow but will be in for an early evening. Any chance of catching up with you folks? I mean we are just across the hall from each other:D

Sleepy
I refer to the view as my Hey look, it’s Home in the background view
Just for reference its room 8436, its on the 14th floor. I wasn't sure I would like this side since we are facing the Contemporary but no one has been out on their balconies over there, so no biggie. I would definitely ask for this view again.

Last edited:
In other news, I emailed 4-5 of the top execs for Disney yesterday afternoon about the unfortunate parking fees. Got a live person call back this afternoon. He was most interested in two things that I'd mentioned in my email. First, that as a DVC member I found the issue important enough to complain about despite the fact I don't have to pay to park. More importantly, he kept circling back to another thing I said. . .that I could no longer recommend Disney to others. That seemed to be a big deal to him. He went on to say the usual "this email will definitely be read by Iger, et.al." and "this is the kind of information they want to read and hear." I know things won't change, but I did find it particularly notable that my DVC ownership and non-recommendation comments seemed important. Just fuel for thought.

Sleepy

Once again I find myself giving you a hard time when in all seriousness you are speaking for so many of us. The statement you made that I bolded seems to ring true for me these days. In most cases I find myself all excited if someone ask me about going to WDW. Don't misunderstand, I am here now, having a blast and will continue to do so I am sure for years to come. Even though I have seen a decline in certain qualities over the years, for me they still stand above most other places I have visited as a vacationer.

But being excited to share DVC based on cost alone this days is something I can't muster up anymore. Our DD was asking about it on her last trip down and I 1st told her to check resale but then backed up the statement with it being so expensive there but now none of the benefits are included(AP reduction, etc.) I used to be a real advocate of it. Folks told me I would make a good DVC CM:D I disagree, I would have been given my walking papers within a week!

Same rings true on convincing people to go to WDW these days. A young lady who has waited on us in a local restaurant knew we go to WDW often. She recently spoke very starry eyed on how she would love to go someday, how she has loved Disney all her life. She is pregnant so I advised her to wait until the little one is at least 5, that way she can enjoy it more. But I cautioned her to save up a good while before she goes. I used to get the old phrase, "how do you go so much, its so expensive" and I would follow up with it being no more expensive than a trip to Myrtle Beach. But thats not true anymore.

I wish I had the same sentiments these days as I had back when, or maybe my rose colored glasses were just misguiding my eyes to see straight:hippie:

YES! Every one of those things! Hey, and check out my new signature line. . .pirate:
You sure have garnered a lot of names over the years:D:D:D
I like them all!! Thanks for being such a great sport and going along with all my shenanigans. Someday, I feel there will be retaliation coming my way. And rightfully so, I will deserve it:crutches:

Sleepy

Once again I find myself giving you a hard time when in all seriousness you are speaking for so many of us. The statement you made that I bolded seems to ring true for me these days. In most cases I find myself all excited if someone ask me about going to WDW. Don't misunderstand, I am here now, having a blast and will continue to do so I am sure for years to come. Even though I have seen a decline in certain qualities over the years, for me they still stand above most other places I have visited as a vacationer.

But being excited to share DVC based on cost alone this days is something I can't muster up anymore. Our DD was asking about it on her last trip down and I 1st told her to check resale but then backed up the statement with it being so expensive there but now none of the benefits are included(AP reduction, etc.) I used to be a real advocate of it. Folks told me I would make a good DVC CM:D I disagree, I would have been given my walking papers within a week!

Same rings true on convincing people to go to WDW these days. A young lady who has waited on us in a local restaurant knew we go to WDW often. She recently spoke very starry eyed on how she would love to go someday, how she has loved Disney all her life. She is pregnant so I advised her to wait until the little one is at least 5, that way she can enjoy it more. But I cautioned her to save up a good while before she goes. I used to get the old phrase, "how do you go so much, its so expensive" and I would follow up with it being no more expensive than a trip to Myrtle Beach. But thats not true anymore.

I wish I had the same sentiments these days as I had back when, or maybe my rose colored glasses were just misguiding my eyes to see straight:hippie:
JT, you know by now that I never take offense at any teasing that floats my way by anyone. In fact, I chuckled quite heartily when I read your note. And, as you can see, I was impressed enough to add to my signature the latest bestowed title. I may be running out of room! pirate: Heck, you should see the ribbing I get from my DD and from Luv. I generally deserve such teasing, I must admit. I grew up believing that a little self-deprecatory humor was a good thing, and while no one would ever accuse me of having a small ego, I like to think it's balanced with a healthy dose of knowing my small role in this big ol' universe. Tease away, my friend!

As for you being unable to fully recommend Disney as you once did, you said it much better than I did. I, too, still enjoy visits to the World, and given my history here and how it ties in with having met Luv, I don't think I can ever let go. Yet, like you, I can no longer say something glowing about Disney without also supplying the realistic, money-making side of them. They're no worse than most other mega-corporations to be sure. Still, even those have changed over the past three plus decades. Used to be that modestly growing your company was considered successful. No longer. If you don't please your major stockholders and board, then you're not doing your job. That's where Disney has erred. By assuming the same mindset, they've had to take steps that have hurt their image, the "magic," and the experience. And, certainly, they've added fees and costs like crazy to make more money. So, while I can understand their desire to make money, to me that just makes them another cog in the corporate world and no longer special.

More important than my views, though. . .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, INKMAHM!! :cake:

Kenny the Pirate just posted that Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets are now on sale: (way too early in my opinion)
  • November 8,9,12,13,15,16,25,27,29,30
  • December 2,4,6,7,9,11,13,14,16,18,20,21
I might go for the first time this year, but am still holding out to see if they will give us another Midnight Magic event in EPCOT in December. Don't want to schedule two events for the same night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter