VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Excited to say that we will be heading over to BRV next summer for our 1st visit...If you can please add us to the list for 2019, it would be greatly appreciated...Thank you
Great! What dates will you be at VWL? Just shoot me a note and I'll add you.

This is our little WL/VWL tree from the past. This is one we used often in the tree swap back in the day. We decided to set it up in our out building that we do some Christmas get togethers. Wanted to share it with you WL lovers
upload_2018-12-11_19-24-29.jpeg upload_2018-12-11_19-24-56.jpeg

upload_2018-12-11_19-25-30.jpeg

Been rather slow on this thread the past few days. . .could it be there are Groupies afoot in the World who are having too much fun? Hmmmmm. Here in the vast winter wasteland known as southwest Virginia, the area is still digging out from the latest "storm of the century" (we seem to have those annually anymore). Main roads have been opened since Tuesday, and most feeder roads are also clear. However, the small byways and streets which may have had a plow once or twice, aren't easily traversed, especially since they refreeze overnight (temps in the low 20s and teens). Ergo, we haven't had school all week. This makes seven total days of missed school and we haven't even hit Christmas yet. Before this storm, we had a day out due to flooding from a hurricane, an ice day off, and an earlier snow day. I may be in school come July. . .

Been rather slow on this thread the past few days. . .could it be there are Groupies afoot in the World who are having too much fun? Hmmmmm. Here in the vast winter wasteland known as southwest Virginia, the area is still digging out from the latest "storm of the century" (we seem to have those annually anymore). Main roads have been opened since Tuesday, and most feeder roads are also clear. However, the small byways and streets which may have had a plow once or twice, aren't easily traversed, especially since they refreeze overnight (temps in the low 20s and teens). Ergo, we haven't had school all week. This makes seven total days of missed school and we haven't even hit Christmas yet. Before this storm, we had a day out due to flooding from a hurricane, an ice day off, and an earlier snow day. I may be in school come July. . .

Does it look pretty at least ?

Here we pretty much skipped fall entirely and went straight into winter. We've even had -20's which normally we wouldn't see until January. Its been weird. But pretty :-)

Counting down the days until our Dec 2019 trip to WDW/DCL. Though knowing our luck we'll end up like last year with days of "unseasonably record-breaking cold" at the freezing mark ;-)

SW

Does it look pretty at least ?

Here we pretty much skipped fall entirely and went straight into winter. We've even had -20's which normally we wouldn't see until January. Its been weird. But pretty :-)

Counting down the days until our Dec 2019 trip to WDW/DCL. Though knowing our luck we'll end up like last year with days of "unseasonably record-breaking cold" at the freezing mark ;-)

SW
Well, it was. Actually, if you look out over fields and mountains then, yes, it's still pretty; otherwise, it's got that plowed, dirty, non-pristine look. Yes, odd weather year here, too. Since late summer, we've had two years' worth of moisture and another 1-2" of rain expected Friday into Saturday. It has also been colder here than usual by about 8-10 degrees overall. Speaking of WDW and DCL, what are your dates (if you feel like sharing)?

I was just reading that they announced at the member meeting earlier today that VWL will get a refurb in 2021. I'd think that would be one of the refresh paint, soft goods etc. I wonder if they'll take care of some of the sloppiness of the last refurb.

Oh - wait. VWL is supposed to get a full refurb.

Oh great. Wonder if it will finally look like a Holiday Inn.

Last edited:
I was just reading that they announced at the member meeting earlier today that VWL will get a refurb in 2021. I'd think that would be one of the refresh paint, soft goods etc. I wonder if they'll take care of some of the sloppiness of the last refurb.

Oh - wait. VWL is supposed to get a full refurb.

Oh great. Wonder if it will finally look like a Holiday Inn.

Me no like the “Holiday Inn” look, so I’m hoping against it....

Thanks for all the well wishes and pixie dust! I’ve decided being home is best, my dream job was being a mom and working inside the home, and I was blessed to be able to do that while the boys were young. However, we do hope to retire someday, so.....heigh ho, heigh ho....

Hi Everyone, we're new owners at CCV and planning a Christmas week trip in 2019. It will also be my twins 21st birthday, so watch out!! Anyway, we're bringing my father and 2 adult nieces and one of their husbands. We're planning on a 2 bedroom and my question is, is a dedicated or a lock-off better? I think I would prefer a dedicated but wanted to know why the lock-offs are so popular. Thanks for all your help and I'm so excited to be finally saying at the lodge!!

What are your planned sleeping arrangements? Who would be able and willing to sleep on sleeper sofas? Dedicated 2BRs normally only have a LR sleeper sofa (for 2 in your party) and the other 6 people would share 3 real beds.

Lock-offs offer the benefits of having another separate entrance and a separate limited kitchenette with fridge and coffee maker.
So when some people make breakfast or leave/return while others are sleeping, there may be less disturbance of the rest of the group and a bit more privacy.
While the sleeper sofa may be less comfortable, it also provides more daytime space when left as a sofa.

Fully adult travel groups (especially with 5 or 6 people) like these lock-off benefits. Larger groups (wanting as many regular beds as possible) and families with active young kids (who may exit unnoticed) may not.

Hi Everyone, we're new owners at CCV and planning a Christmas week trip in 2019. It will also be my twins 21st birthday, so watch out!! Anyway, we're bringing my father and 2 adult nieces and one of their husbands. We're planning on a 2 bedroom and my question is, is a dedicated or a lock-off better? I think I would prefer a dedicated but wanted to know why the lock-offs are so popular. Thanks for all your help and I'm so excited to be finally saying at the lodge!!

The decision of what’s preferred can depend a lot on sleeping arrangements but I believe that dedicated 2 bedrooms are usually the most popular if booking that size villa because they have 2 real beds in the second bedroom. It is what we select when given a choice although if one only needed 1 bed in that room and it was for early risers who might want their own kitchenette and entrance there can be benefits to having the studio/1 bedroom combo. Since lockoffs are made up of a connected studio and 1 bedroom then once the studios are booked then the lockoffs aren’t an option so dedicated 2 bedrooms are easier to book at very popular times for people to use their DVC. It gives lockoffs the appearance of being popular but that’s more about the studios being the most popular to book.

Kirk is a concierge CM who built his own station in the BRV lobby with surplus Disney furniture. His hours are 7:00 - 3:30 5 or 6 days per week. He loves to help with planning, reservations, and making magic and he is a big reason why we love to stay at WL. He greets his guests by name and watching him interact with the young guests is magical. If you appreciate his service please email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com so we can keep him around. :love:

:earsboy: Bill
Sent the email today!

Helllllooooo, Groupies at the World!? Your assignment was to allow us all to live vicariously through you, and post early and often! You MUST be having too much fun as @sleepydog25 suggested! :earboy2:

Corinne...first of all, congratulations on starting your new job. I hope it provides the fulfillment that you are looking for in the job. :)

Groupies...we have just returned from the World, and it was a very nice trip. Temperatures were well below normal with highs in the 50's and 60's on many days. The parks were rather busy overall, and last Saturday (December 8) MK was almost as crowded as Christmas week! Even the People Mover had a 1/2 hour wait as the line went halfway to Space Mountain! It was supposed to be a 5/10 crowd day but after the fact TouringPlans recorded it as an 8 level crowd. All week long they underforecasted the crowd levels as we found the parks and Disney Springs to be pretty crowded every day.

Despite that, we enjoyed our trip. We were able to thoroughly enjoy much quality time with our good friends @Dizny Dad and @DiznyDi. While we went to the parks every day, we only experienced a handful of attractions. We had several FastPasses that lapsed as we just didn't want to deal with the crowds, cool weather and occasional rain all that much. I will say that I was impressed with Toy Story Land as far as design, attention to detail, and general atmosphere of the area. I think they did a really good job capturing the Toy Story spirit of fun and adventure, and the lines were long for all the attractions there. Star Wars land continues to take shape and DHS will soon be turning from 1/2 of a park to a real destination park for many, many WDW guests.

Wilderness Lodge did not disappoint as the decorations were out in full force and the Christmas music was playing throughout the resort. The resort seemed to be at full capacity with the main lobby being crowded much of the time. They opened the new Snow White character meal the day after we left, but we were able to see some of the "forest" decorations that had been added to the restaurant. I'm sure they did a good job converting Artist Point over to the new theme. They moved the DVC sales desk to the front door area to clear out that area, possibly for people waiting for reservations for the character meal? Once they start getting those meals booked, it will undoubtedly add to the noise level of the lobby floor of Wilderness Lodge. All in all, it was a bustling area...far from the quiet area it has been in the past.

But the VWL lobby retained its quietness and seclusion. And we spent some quality time in the Iron Spike room in front of the fire. So our home managed to keep its wonderful feel of warmth and seclusion, with the Christmas music wafting through the air.

Kirk the VWL CM was busy each day with people at his concierge desk in the VWL lobby. Didn't have a chance to say much more than hello to him, but every time we went past he was explaining the MDE phone app to someone...it sounds like he is very well versed on the app. We did use it to open our room door a couple of times just as a novelty, but mostly just used our Magic Bands.

So we had a quick (6 night) stay and enjoyed it very much. I am so glad that we have DVC, and therefore don't worry about the parks and attractions all that much since we know we can experience them on a future trip. This past trip was all about enjoying WL and good friends, and that is what made it a great trip! :)

Kirk the VWL CM was busy each day with people at his concierge desk in the VWL lobby. Didn't have a chance to say much more than hello to him, but every time we went past he was explaining the MDE phone app to someone...it sounds like he is very well versed on the app.

Glad you had an enjoyable visit Granny even if some things like crowds and weather were a bit out of whack. I know I'm wary of MK during times when they are having parties so many days of the week so people press in on days they don't. Makes it kind of nice to visit when they don't have the parties going on and you can expect more spreading out of visitors to MK during the week.

Your comment about Kirk caught my attention and selfishly I'm a bit sad to hear that he's hanging out there and bringing "business" to our nice quiet little lobby. But it's a nice things for those who need the assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!