VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We could just refer to them as Tatanka. ;)

This qualifies as the response of the week! I love it! Tatanka it is, I second the motion.

It's a very busy Summer groupies, but I catch up when I can. I am eagerly awaiting pictures of an open "rock" (love it) pool.

One day, I will learn how to post a picture now that I bought this iPhone SE it may allow for an expansion of my abilities.

Anyways, I'm a little unplugged from Disney at the moment as we spend weekends on the shore of Lake Superior. I am thankful for all of you keeping me up to speed on all the important stuff!
:thanks:

This qualifies as the response of the week! I love it! Tatanka it is, I second the motion.

It's a very busy Summer groupies, but I catch up when I can. I am eagerly awaiting pictures of an open "rock" (love it) pool.

One day, I will learn how to post a picture now that I bought this iPhone SE it may allow for an expansion of my abilities.

Anyways, I'm a little unplugged from Disney at the moment as we spend weekends on the shore of Lake Superior. I am thankful for all of you keeping me up to speed on all the important stuff!
:thanks:

Ron...very nice of you to drop by. :thumbsup2 We all know how life can get in the way of important stuff like the DIS Boards, and we always are happy to see both new and familiar faces around here. I'm afraid I'm not the techie to help you out with the photo posting thing. I still download my photos onto a PC and then edit them for size before uploading to this site. Very laborious but it gets the job done.

Weekends on the shore of Lake Superior sounds fun (and a little cooler than St. Louis). Hope all is well! :)

We could just refer to them as Tatanka. ;)

Jen, that reminds me of "Dances With Wolves" as the Native Americans say Tatanka often in the movie, which reminds me of some songs from the movie that play in the lobby and surrounding grounds of our beloved Lodge:lovestrucwhich then leads me back to one of the songs which is titled "The Buffalo Hunt":D
I sure am glad our Tatanka is back in there rightful "home" where they belong!

Ron, great to see you here, we understand life has a way of getting in the way of other things, but you are still here, thats what matters to us groupies.

Last edited:

To be honest, Granny's comment piqued my interest, so I just had to look it up to refresh my memory. I thought there was a difference but couldn't remember what exactly. I was originally going to teach before my foray into the Air Force (and did actually teach at USAFA for three years); I taught as a substitute for four years prior to this position where I would always intone, "I'm the best sub you will ever have." :laughing:

SubstituteSly, has a nice ring too it8-)
I could see you being a good teacher, and you would be that cool teacher that takes things deeper, making it more interesting than just what the textbooks say

Happy Anniversary DiznyDad and DiznyDi!!!!
I feel my life has been all the more richly blessed by knowing you folks. You are one of the nicest, sweetest couples I have had the pleasure of knowing!!

Technically, America doesn't have buffaloes--we have bison. The buffalo species are indigenous to Asia (water buffalo) and Africa (Cape buffalo). What we have are bison (Bison bison) which are related to European bison (Bison bonasus) and are bovids like the buffalo and cows. However, when we sing "where the buffalo roam," we're actually incorrect, though that does sound a mite better than "where the bison roam." . . . .

Thanks Sleepy . . . but please don't tell me we don't have Deer or Antelope either. I need to hold onto something . . .so much has been taken away, with the construction and all . . .

SubstituteSly, has a nice ring too it8-)
I could see you being a good teacher, and you would be that cool teacher that takes things deeper, making it more interesting than just what the textbooks say
Funny you mention that, JT. I once filled in two days for a high school history teacher. He was nearing retirement, and through the years he had developed a near daily routine of showing videos to his students while having them write down notes on pieces of paper where the teacher had highlighted things from the tape. And when I say tape, I mean he showed VHS tapes, many of them black and white. They were o-o-o-l-d. The first day I took over, the era being covered was the Vietnam conflict including the issues being raised back home. I kept stopping the tape and explaining the military actions (good and bad), as well as delving at length into the growing unrest back in the U.S. For example, the VHS tape spent about 15 seconds on the Kent State shooting--I stopped the tape and spent 10 minutes talking about the events leading up to it, the actual shooting, and the aftermath (how that one moment galvanized the anti-war movement). After the class, I had students coming up to me telling me that the teacher NEVER stopped the tape to talk, that they had found the class that day to be informative and interesting. One student, in particular (he now plays football for App. State), talked to my daughter who was two grades behind him how cool the class was. When he comes back to football games here (his little brother is a starter), he still finds me and shakes my hand.

All that to say, education should be more than rote information, day in and day out. Sometimes, such methods can't be helped (not much you can do to make exciting the task of memorizing your multiplication table), but they shouldn't be a crutch. My daughter disliked history since most of her teachers had been fairly dry and uninteresting. This past year, she took AP history and the teacher was superb--guess what? She loved it! Well, I've digressed into a non-Disney topic, so I apologize.

To that end, do you realize it's only a 35-hour drive from my house to Disneyland? I'd just about rather do that than fly. . .

Thanks Sleepy . . . but please don't tell me we don't have Deer or Antelope either. I need to hold onto something . . .so much has been taken away, with the construction and all . . .
Ummm, well, just don't do any googling on antelope in the U.S. :scared:

Hey, Thanks to all for the Best Wishes for DiznyDi's and my Anniversary. 42 years! (yes, we were children when we were married . . . we thought we were adults, but looking back . . .). Thanks to Kat4Disney, TwoKats, Granny (and Mrs. Granny), Sleepy & JimmyTammy. I was lucky to marry my High School Sweetheart. And I am lucky that she has put up with me for so many years with never a complaint, squeak, or tear. Thank you Dear. Let's go to Disney World!

Hey, Thanks to all for the Best Wishes for DiznyDi's and my Anniversary. 42 years! (yes, we were children when we were married . . . we thought we were adults, but looking back . . .). Thanks to Kat4Disney, TwoKats, Granny (and Mrs. Granny), Sleepy & JimmyTammy. I was lucky to marry my High School Sweetheart. And I am lucky that she has put up with me for so many years with never a complaint, squeak, or tear. Thank you Dear. Let's go to Disney World!
Blessings to you both - Happy Anniversay!!

Funny you mention that, JT. I once filled in two days for a high school history teacher. He was nearing retirement, and through the years he had developed a near daily routine of showing videos to his students while having them write down notes on pieces of paper where the teacher had highlighted things from the tape. And when I say tape, I mean he showed VHS tapes, many of them black and white. They were o-o-o-l-d. The first day I took over, the era being covered was the Vietnam conflict including the issues being raised back home. I kept stopping the tape and explaining the military actions (good and bad), as well as delving at length into the growing unrest back in the U.S. For example, the VHS tape spent about 15 seconds on the Kent State shooting--I stopped the tape and spent 10 minutes talking about the events leading up to it, the actual shooting, and the aftermath (how that one moment galvanized the anti-war movement). After the class, I had students coming up to me telling me that the teacher NEVER stopped the tape to talk, that they had found the class that day to be informative and interesting. One student, in particular (he now plays football for App. State), talked to my daughter who was two grades behind him how cool the class was. When he comes back to football games here (his little brother is a starter), he still finds me and shakes my hand.

All that to say, education should be more than rote information, day in and day out. Sometimes, such methods can't be helped (not much you can do to make exciting the task of memorizing your multiplication table), but they shouldn't be a crutch. My daughter disliked history since most of her teachers had been fairly dry and uninteresting. This past year, she took AP history and the teacher was superb--guess what? She loved it! Well, I've digressed into a non-Disney topic, so I apologize.

To that end, do you realize it's only a 35-hour drive from my house to Disneyland? I'd just about rather do that than fly. . .

So you are one of those teaching type substitutes eh Sleepy?! :scratchin

Memories of my schools substitute teachers still come up now and then in conversation. We had a lovely lady who had jet black hair until the day she died at 100. She knew everyone of us since we were born but still called every one 'Dear.' We pretty much just had a study hall when she subbed and that could be for any subject. English tended to be the weak point in our school - teachers seemed to change most every year or two. But we would sometimes get a sub that had taught there years earlier. We followed lessons on those days and might be the only time I thought I learned something about sentence structure. Then there was the sub who knew someone that was a professional wrestler. He showed up a couple of times when our local subs weren't available and brought signed pictures with him of his acquaintance. Ah, substitute teachers and the memories you create!

Jen, that reminds me of "Dances With Wolves" as the Native Americans say Tatanka often in the movie, which reminds me of some songs from the movie that play in the lobby and surrounding grounds of our beloved Lodge:lovestrucwhich then leads me back to one of the songs which is titled "The Buffalo Hunt":D
I sure am glad our Tatanka is back in there rightful "home" where they belong!

Ron, great to see you here, we understand life has a way of getting in the way of other things, but you are still here, thats what matters to us groupies.

That is where I got it from. LOVED that movie. - and the music.

WOW 42 years... that is wonderful. We celebrated our 30th this past December at WDW. Hoping we are lucky and blessed enough to reach 42 (and more) as well. Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!

So you are one of those teaching type substitutes eh Sleepy?! :scratchin
Yes! I'd occasionally bring AF memorabilia or tell "war stories," though mine were all humorous. I'd sometimes teach a class how to salute. But, we always did work. In 5th grade English, the teacher usually had just workbook stuff that meant nothing to the kids, most of whom could barely write a five-word sentence. I'd switch gears and we'd do prepositions and what those were and why we needed them. Make them laugh but instruct at the same time. And, I usually called the kids "Mr" or "Miss." Still do in my office role:
"Why do you need to use the phone, Miss Mayhew?
To call home.
"I assumed as much. Why exactly must you call?"
To call my parent.
"Because?"
I need them to bring my permission form for the trip.
"And how do we properly ask for things, Miss Mayhew?"
May I please use the phone to call home to get my permission slip?
"Much better, Miss Mayhew. Yes, you may."

That sort of thing. . .;)

Sleepy, the way you described the class about the VHS tape, thats exactly how I perceive you as a teacher. I was bored for the most part throughout school. But I had that occasional teacher who sparked my interest, and you could tell they were passionate about what they were teaching.

I think my strong interest in history, esp. American history was piqued early in life by Uncle Walt and his far fetched shows about Davy Crockett, The Swamp Fox, Johnny Tremain, etc. And though I learned the truth about most of these stories over time, I still feel like that sparked my imagination, and began a lifelong passion for history. Granny understands:D

So a big shout out to guys and gals like Sleepy who spark the imagination of our kids these days. And thanks to Uncle Walt too:-)

Last edited:
Awe shucks, Groupies - you've made me blush. :blush:

Many, many thanks for your kind and thoughtful anniversary wishes! I've spent the past several days at our daughters in a neighboring state but did return home in time to celebrate our anniversary. We enjoyed conversation on the porch as we reminisced about 'this day' 42 years ago. Some steaks on the grill ended our day.

Groupies are the best!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts